testtest

On the Hunt with the Victor .308

I purchased a Victor .308 last fall. I bought it to use as a deer rifle. I installed a Leupold integral system with a Leupold 3 X 9 scope. I sighted it in with Hornaday American Whitetail 165 gr. SP Interlock ammo. For the last 40 years I have hunted with a Remington 742 in 30.06 so I have a lot of experience with carrying a rifle through the woods. As a hunting rifle I found the Victor to be easy to carry and well suited to the bushy, mountainous terrain where I hunt. To date I've fired about 30 rounds through it without a problem. My only concern is my Victor in .308 is noticeably louder than my 30.06. I didn't notice this when sighting it in because I was wearing hearing protection, but when I shot a deer from my stand I was surprised that the Victor's muzzle blast seemed to be much louder than to what I was accustomed. I am currently looking at several flash suppressors that are supposed to direct more of the muzzle blast out in front. I called Springfield's customer service, but was not offered any help or suggestions. I'm satisfied with the Victor's performance and the 16" barrel is fine for my purposes, but would like to find a solution to redirect the noise. Perhaps in the future Springfield could offer Victor uppers with longer barrels for hunters.

I purchased a Victor .308 last fall. I bought it to use as a deer rifle. I installed a Leupold integral system with a Leupold 3 X 9 scope. I sighted it in with Hornaday American Whitetail 165 gr. SP Interlock ammo. For the last 40 years I have hunted with a Remington 742 in 30.06 so I have a lot of experience with carrying a rifle through the woods. As a hunting rifle I found the Victor to be easy to carry and well suited to the bushy, mountainous terrain where I hunt. To date I've fired about 30 rounds through it without a problem. My only concern is my Victor in .308 is noticeably louder than my 30.06. I didn't notice this when sighting it in because I was wearing hearing protection, but when I shot a deer from my stand I was surprised that the Victor's muzzle blast seemed to be much louder than to what I was accustomed. I am currently looking at several flash suppressors that are supposed to direct more of the muzzle blast out in front. I called Springfield's customer service, but was not offered any help or suggestions. I'm satisfied with the Victor's performance and the 16" barrel is fine for my purposes, but would like to find a solution to redirect the noise. Perhaps in the future Springfield could offer Victor uppers with longer barrels for hunters.

Shorter barrel means more muzzle blast; the compensator that they put on it doesn’t help, either.

As for a regulator, I'd recommend the Surefire Warden or Noveske KX5.

Shorter barrel means more muzzle blast; the compensator that they put on it doesn’t help, either.

As for a regulator, I'd recommend the Surefire Warden or Noveske KX5.
The SureFire Warden is (out of stock)
Everywhere. The Noveske KX5 looks good available through MidWay. I’d like to do the same thing, temper down the muzzle flash and sound on my Edge Pistol in 5.56 and my Savage AR10 in .308

To agree with Hans, Grifter and Keystone, I would take the Muzzle Brake off the Victor and put on a flash hider of such device. The muzzle brake on the Victor is perfect for my application of multiple rounds on target of Packs Of hogs on the run. Dampens recoil and muzzle rise. I use the Victor .308 non stop for hogs. For your your application, i would take it off and go flash hider type device. I hunt deer also, and I dont see this helping in a 1-2 shot arena for deer especially from an enclosed blind or such. I shot 4 hogs yesterday from an enclosed blind and its loud. Even with hearing protection on.

Hans, Grifter, Keystone, and KillerFord1977 thanks for your responses. I imagine that many folks who purchase these will for the most part shoot these in a range setting wearing plenty of hearing protection. I have no issue with the performance of the Victor, and I plan to hunt with it again this coming hunting season. My issue at this point is getting a recommendation or advice from a Springfield's customer service rep. Based on the comments here other shooters would like a solution as well, and you'd think that the tech people at Springfield would help.

Back