testtest

9mm 2011?

I'm still fairly new to EDC, and currently partial to 9mm; but I am interested in moving to a hammer-fired pistol of the (more or less) 1911 design -- and by "more or less" I am referring to the increased ammo capacity of a 2011. Does SA offer, or plan to offer, anything that might satisfy my want-list?

I'm still fairly new to EDC, and currently partial to 9mm; but I am interested in moving to a hammer-fired pistol of the (more or less) 1911 design -- and by "more or less" I am referring to the increased ammo capacity of a 2011. Does SA offer, or plan to offer, anything that might satisfy my want-list?
I'm not aware of any current Springfield offerings for a double stack hammer fired pistol. Springfield is constantly updating their lineup of firearms so with any luck we will see something soon that will replace the XD-E.

Nope not on current lineup. Perhaps in the future, no actually idea though. I image the 2011 will become more popular. Pretty much currently for a 2011 there is like only one budget option and it’s by rock island. Outside of that I think most climb in price to 2k or More quickly. Although you could look at CZ 75 or other offerings. My buddy bought a used CZ shadow, $1100, and that thing is just pinpoint accurate and so soft to shoot. Not a 2011 though. So staccato, nighthawk, Wilson combat, and I assume other higher end gun makers are the only other options.

Not a 1911, but Smith & Wesson's 9mm CSX offers a 10 and a 12 capacity mag.
I tried it out and found it to be nice to shoot and accurate. It does, however, have a trigger safety which takes getting used to.
There are many reviews on YouTube, some glowing, others not so. I think a second generation or a Pro Series edition of the CSX would be something to really consider.
I ultimately settled on a SA Ronin EMP 3, and the following article helped me in my decision. Have had the REMP3 for almost a month and love it.
Top Performing & Concealable 1911 Sub-Compact 9mm Pistols

Not a 1911 design but a really nice all metal framed hammer fired double stack carry pistol to consider is the CZ P-01. It's really light for it's all metal construction and it has an accessory rail under the slide so you could mount a light if you wanted the option.

The P0-1 is also classy as hell!

Disclaimer: the pistol in the picture below is from Google images and not my personal pistol.
Screenshot_20220508-201930_Firefox.jpg

I have been begging for SA to make a Staccato style 9mm.
If they did venture into it, what do you think MSRP would be? I mean from a business side, I am not sure how many changes to the manufacturing it would require. But if they wanted to put out a solid production 1911 I assume it would be more than the RIA but less than then the staccato P, which is based at 2k I think. I think a solid quality SA 2011 at a price range around 1250-1500 appears like a good niche in the 2011 market and potentially sell a lot. Especially if they got to it before another manufacturer like Kimber, sig, smith and Wesson, or other. Granted no idea if they good get to that MSRP for a production 2011.

That’s true, so probably would need to be closer to the 12-1300 range. I think the RAI is 899 not sure though.

I mean at that range the difference is 700-800 dollars which could be considered a lot depending on someones finances. Or justifying to significant other.

Thinking if SA 2011 was a reliable shooter with similar accuracy as their 1911’s in that price range. Than an SA 2011 I assume would be roughly same weight as staccato. Handling the recoil similarly. Then how much better would a staccato be? No idea of course. I mean I never shot one but from everything I heard they are fantastic. But I guess what I would wonder is what the extra 7-800 really gets you if both are reliable and go bang. Would it be just better grouping and how much better. Then it’s just on the person to decide what’s right for them.

Sort of like production SA 1911 (operator or better) vs custom 1911. In my hands how much better am I really going to shoot the custom 1911. No idea but I am so happy to test it out if someone wants to send me a $2k to $2500 1911 lol.

That’s true, so probably would need to be closer to the 12-1300 range. I think the RAI is 899 not sure though.

I mean at that range the difference is 700-800 dollars which could be considered a lot depending on someones finances. Or justifying to significant other.

Thinking if SA 2011 was a reliable shooter with similar accuracy as their 1911’s in that price range. Than an SA 2011 I assume would be roughly same weight as staccato. Handling the recoil similarly. Then how much better would a staccato be? No idea of course. I mean I never shot one but from everything I heard they are fantastic. But I guess what I would wonder is what the extra 7-800 really gets you if both are reliable and go bang. Would it be just better grouping and how much better. Then it’s just on the person to decide what’s right for them.

Sort of like production SA 1911 (operator or better) vs custom 1911. In my hands how much better am I really going to shoot the custom 1911. No idea but I am so happy to test it out if someone wants to send me a $2k to $2500 1911 lol.

What the extra money gets you:

A much better trigger.

That perfect balance of superb accuracy and utter reliability that is quite elusive in a 19/2011 (it’s easy to make an accurate but unreliable 1911, and it’s easy to make a reliable 1911 with decent, but not excellent accuracy…).

Play with high end 1911’s some time, and you’ll find that they are not your run of the kill pistols.

Not a 1911, but Smith & Wesson's 9mm CSX offers a 10 and a 12 capacity mag.
I tried it out and found it to be nice to shoot and accurate. It does, however, have a trigger safety which takes getting used to.
There are many reviews on YouTube, some glowing, others not so. I think a second generation or a Pro Series edition of the CSX would be something to really consider.
I ultimately settled on a SA Ronin EMP 3, and the following article helped me in my decision. Have had the REMP3 for almost a month and love it.
Top Performing & Concealable 1911 Sub-Compact 9mm Pistols
I have considered the CSX, since I have (and like) the 9mm Shield Plus; but it just isn't a 1911/2011. Same goes for my P365XL -- really nice but not the legendary Browning design.

In truth, the biggest reason I went with the smaller pistols is concealability. If you have only one pistol, or even rotate a couple, you have to be concerned about EDC. That doesn't just mean remembering to carry every day, it also means wearing something that's comfortable and convenient as well as readily concealable under most conditions. A 1911 in .45ACP is big and heavy. It may be comforting, but not exactly comfortable for a lot of people. A smaller versions such as the EMP series is both lighter and more concealable, while retaining the advantages of the 1911 design; but ammo capacity is a little small for my taste.

While overall I like the two pistols I currently have for EDC, neither has a trigger that can come close to that on a good 1911; and while I currently have no problem racking their (striker-fired) slides, I'm nearly 73 and *everything* seems to get more difficult over time. A larger-capacity version of Smith's Shield EZ 9mm might fit the bill, but it doesn't exist (yet?). Revolvers aren't entirely out of the question either, but I really want more than 5/6/7 rounds before reload. I just want something that's fun at the range *and* suitable for personal and home defense, a good "all around" handgun.

I have considered the CSX, since I have (and like) the 9mm Shield Plus; but it just isn't a 1911/2011. Same goes for my P365XL -- really nice but not the legendary Browning design.

In truth, the biggest reason I went with the smaller pistols is concealability. If you have only one pistol, or even rotate a couple, you have to be concerned about EDC. That doesn't just mean remembering to carry every day, it also means wearing something that's comfortable and convenient as well as readily concealable under most conditions. A 1911 in .45ACP is big and heavy. It may be comforting, but not exactly comfortable for a lot of people. A smaller versions such as the EMP series is both lighter and more concealable, while retaining the advantages of the 1911 design; but ammo capacity is a little small for my taste.

While overall I like the two pistols I currently have for EDC, neither has a trigger that can come close to that on a good 1911; and while I currently have no problem racking their (striker-fired) slides, I'm nearly 73 and *everything* seems to get more difficult over time. A larger-capacity version of Smith's Shield EZ 9mm might fit the bill, but it doesn't exist (yet?). Revolvers aren't entirely out of the question either, but I really want more than 5/6/7 rounds before reload. I just want something that's fun at the range *and* suitable for personal and home defense, a good "all around" handgun.
A 1911 (or 2011) in 9mm is the exact same size and weight as it would be in .45 (the EMP is not a 1911).

Back