testtest

9mm vs 45ACP: The Ultimate Caliber Conundrum

Never understood that one.

Why are you going to miss with the .45 where you’d hit with the .22?

If you’re doing everything the same—proper grip, press, sight picture...results will be the same.
Me either. Maybe the originator was trying to recommend that you shoot the largest caliber handgun that you can effectively place rounds on target.

Very true.

And I want to phrase the following as...delicately...as I can...

But: in my direct experience, including people I actually know that carry a firearm for self protection...

Very few shoot often enough to get true muscle memory ingrained.
This is it in the broad spectrum of it. Most folks think shooting a magazine a month is sufficient “training” when it’s not. There is so much more that goes into it than just squeezing the trigger....

If a .22 LR will put down a 300 pound hog it can put a human down .

Were did you shoot the hog ? in the head ? did it stand still while you were aiming ? One of my uncles had a slaughter house in Medley Florida, after HS I used to go and kill cattle or pigs (some times for free) one sits on top of an enclosure, cow is driven in, head sticks out and you shoot it with a .22 LR from the siting position on top, head shot, gates open cow drops down NEXT, pigs were the same but smaller enclosures, most times it was with and electric rod though. I was usually given a brick of 500 .22LR and two or three rifles, they get hot. And for fun sometimes we used to shoot them while in the enclosure, from 9mm to .44 Mag, uncle didn't like the .44 too much meat loss, I'm bold headed now, but I have shot more animals than the hair I had when I was 18-19 YO.

Last edited:
Never understood that one.

Why are you going to miss with the .45 where you’d hit with the .22?

If you’re doing everything the same—proper grip, press, sight picture...results will be the same.

The generally ideology of this statement is that if you can’t handle the recoil of a .45 ACP (especially in a compact/sub-compact firearm) and/or you are not accurate with it, but you are proficient with a .22 LR, there is no point in carrying a .45 ACP. Which basically translates to carry the caliber you shoot most accurately, proficiently, and feel most comfortable with. And, if that’s a .22 LR or 380 ACP, there is nothing wrong with that. For example, my wife can shoot a 9mm descently, but if she was much more comfortable with a .22 LR or 380 ACP, I would never tell her, “well, that’s not a real caliber, so you must only carry a .40 or .45, even though you can’t hit the broad side of a barn with it and you totally feel uncomfortable with it.” If you can shoot a larger caliber proficiently, then carry it.

Last edited:
A piece of paper will cut you but we don’t make knives out of them....a .22 will kill, but it’s not ideal, unless it’s all you have or you just absolutely can’t tote anything else. It’s been said from the average Joe to the Navy SEALs and even your top competition shooters. Carry what you can shoot the best, what you can shoot accurate.

it's true .22 will kill, but it will take a long, long time, long enough to beach the crap out of the shooter, don't get me wrong you all carry what you feel comfortable with, just don't try to convince me.
You underestimate the power of the little .22 lr
The police report majority who were shot were put down by the.22 LR

Were did you shoot the hog ? in the head ? did it stand still while you were aiming ? One of my uncles had a slaughter house in Medley Florida, after HS I used to go and kill cattle or pigs (some times for free) one sits on top of an enclosure, cow is driven in, head sticks out and you shoot it with a .22 LR from the siting position on top, head shot, gates open cow drops down NEXT, pigs were the same but smaller enclosures, most times it was with and electric rod though. I was usually given a brick of 500 .22LR and two or three rifles, they get hot. And for fun sometimes we used to shoot them while in the enclosure, from 9mm to .44 Mag, uncle didn't like the .44 too much meat loss, I'm bold headed now, but I have shot more animals than the hair I had when I was 18-19 YO.

The .22 LR is still a deadly cartridge with 60% of 154 people who were shot were totally incapacitated 60 % !.
22 (short, long and long rifle)# of people shot – 154
# of hits – 213
% of hits that were fatal – 34%
Average number of rounds until incapacitation – 1.38
% of people who were not incapacitated – 31%
One-shot-stop % – 31%
Accuracy (head and torso hits) – 76%
% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) – 60%

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power

The .22 LR is still a deadly cartridge with 60% of 154 people who were shot were totally incapacitated 60 % !.
22 (short, long and long rifle)
# of people shot – 154
# of hits – 213
% of hits that were fatal – 34%
Average number of rounds until incapacitation – 1.38
% of people who were not incapacitated – 31%
One-shot-stop % – 31%
Accuracy (head and torso hits) – 76%
% actually incapacitated by one shot (torso or head hit) – 60%

https://www.activeresponsetraining.net/an-alternate-look-at-handgun-stopping-power
Those statistics are crazy!

Those statistics are crazy!
David N not crazy but it's true this is the link to the author and it also shows other calibers I find it amazing how that little.22 LR Caliber is often over looked and scoffed at. But proves to stop someone who is hit in the head or torso incapacitating them 60 % of the time that's an awesome percentage 60 % These are statistic compiled from reported shootings by police 60% out of 154 shooting by .22LR proved to be incapacitating meaning stopping the person read in the like percentages of death results.

David N not crazy but it's true this is the link to the author and it also shows other calibers I find it amazing how that little.22 LR Caliber is often over looked and scoffed at. But proves to stop someone who is hit in the head or torso incapacitating them 60 % of the time that's an awesome percentage 60 % These are statistic compiled from reported shootings by police 60% out of 154 shooting by .22LR proved to be incapacitating meaning stopping the person read in the like percentages of death results.
I didn't mean crazy in a bad way. I mean crazy as in mind-blowing.

Back