testtest

9mm XDM discontinued? Replaced with "Elite" model?

Did Springfield discontinue the basic 9mm XDM? Existing XDMs on the SA website only come in .45/10mm. The only 9mm offering is the new "Elite" model.

Several reasons for my question.

1) The new magazine for the "Elite" is listed with 'increased capacity'. 22+1 and 20+1. So do the former 19 round XDM mags no longer fit?? I have invested heavily in the old XDM platform, so I have at least fifteen of the 19 round mags!

2) The grip. Looks like they have added a 'flared' magwell to the "Elite" model. Can't tell from the photo if this is a removable rubber edge for your fingers or actually a structural part of the magwell. From a USPSA competition perspective, wondering if this change makes it ineligible to be considered a 'production' class gun, which doesn't allow external modifications?

Side note: There were two XDM 9mm versions. One had a fiber optic front, and an older version had 3 dot sights. Don't know if Model #xdm9201hce was one or the other. But noticing this model # is being used for both versions for any remaining inventory by online retailers. If the original 9mm XDM is indeed discontinued, wanted to get out to buy another one asap.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.54.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 11.54.01 AM.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 1,070
I have the original version of the XDm in 9mm with the 4.5” barrel and 3 dot sites, bought it in 2009, works flawlessly, actually it has the extra roll mark saying NRA 2009 Handgun of the Year. This is probably one of the best guns I own, it’s my go to gun.

Last edited:
@taras333 yes it certainly appears that the original XDM is discontinued in 9mm.

The XDM Elite will use your old magazines if you remove the detachable mag well. There is a discussion of that here:

For USPSA production division I would think that since the mag well comes from the factory, that it would still be considered production. You didn't mod it - it is designed to have it from the factory. Most of the modifications in the Elite compared to the original XDM seem to be designed expressly to make it a better competition pistol.

As far as the SKU on the XDM I imagine that unless a seller has really old inventory, you would be getting the newer version with the fiber optic front sight. That change was made years ago. My XDM Compact and my XDM 5.25 (both 9mm) bought in the past couple of years both have the fiber optic front sight.

Something else to point out - with the improvements in the Elite, the MSRP also appears to have been lowered. The new XDM Elite Precision 5.25 has a MSRP of $653, and I am pretty sure when I got my XDM Competition 5.25 in 9mm two years ago that the MSRP was the same $779 they still show for the XDM 5.25 in 10mm and 45acp

For USPSA production division I would think that since the mag well comes from the factory, that it would still be considered production. You didn't mod it - it is designed to have it from the factory.
USPSA Production rules prohibit guns with 'flared' mag wells. that puts the gun into a different category: "Limited class".

yes 10 rounds for production, but my point was are the Elite mags the same as the old ones. with 15+ old mags and several XDMs I like to know I can interchange them all if needed.

You can use the old mags in the new XDM Elite if you remove the mag well. Not sure if the Elite mags will work in the old XDM. I know the base plate is different.

You can use the old mags in the new XDM Elite if you remove the mag well. Not sure if the Elite mags will work in the old XDM. I know the base plate is different.

Noticed that "silent" discontinuation of XDM 5.25 9mm too. Yes, new XDM Elite 9mm 22 rnd mags fit and work okay in older "plain" XDM 9mm 5.25 guns. Have a few of both. Difference besides Elite mag being bit longer? Is a small ledge towards bottom rear of grip is about all. For few extra rounds at practice it's fine for me. Doesn't interfere with grip at all. Biggie is XDM Elite 22rnd mag does work well in older XDM 5.25 9mm's.

I love my XDM Elite 9 mm with the 3.8" barrel. I have recently had much better luck finding 40 S&W ammo than 9 mm, and I'm hoping SA will release an XDM Elite in 40. I have been looking into getting one of the older 40 S&W XDM models, but they seem to be selling at pretty high prices. I'm also convinced that gun manufacturers make it a point to track my purchases so that they can release a new version of any gun I buy within 60-90 days.

Back