testtest

A serious message for and about us older folks

HayesGreener

Hellcat
I am coming up on my annual LEOSA qualification next month. In recent years I have been a bit melancholy at this time, as I lost a very good friend to cancer two years ago, who I did LEOSA quals with every year for years. He was a retired DEA firearms instructor and one of the finest marksmen I have ever met, and the two of us always had the best targets. The Sheriff's rangemaster always remarked that he wished their deputies could shoot that well. I approach qualification with purpose each year since Larry passed, as it is now my mission to hold up our standards. I will continue to do so for as many years as I can.

Looking back over the years, I have lost many friends and relatives, some suddenly, and some from lingering illnesses. When my Dad passed 30 years ago, the minister asked me what good memories I had, and whether I had any regrets. I told him that my greatest regret was that I had not spent more time with him when he was alive, and he told me that was a good regret to have. If I had it to do over, I would ask about his memories, take him fishing, go for long walks, and maybe do some squirrel hunting with him.

Since that time I have made it a habit to visit with old friends and family whenever I can, even when travel is involved. I would travel to their funerals after all, so why not go visit them when they are alive where we can reminisce and laugh together and perhaps break bread at least one more time.

I have a circle of friends who are dyed in the wool shooters and gun enthusiasts. We have had lunch together two or three times a week, for more than 10 years. We have told and retold our war stories and ailments so many times that all of us know all the others' tales and pains. We have lost two of our number in recent years and they are deeply missed at our table, but the loss has brought us closer. We used to meet for the shooting activities but now the shooting has become secondary to the fellowship (and lunch). There is always laughter at our table and the waitresses like us because we are all handsome and tip well. (Well, at least we tip well.)

My purpose for sharing in this forum of like minds is a reminder of how fragile life is, and how fleeting opportunities to celebrate life can be. We all understand the perils and the fragility of life. After all, we expend great energy on the topic of guns and ballistics and self defense. Let's also take some time to contemplate what friends and family mean to us, and let's not be left with great regrets. I intend to celebrate life to the greatest extent possible, while packing a .45, and I will have that 1911 I have been jonesing for. (Dang, I like saying "packing a .45"). BTW, after practicing the course of fire, lunch today will be cajun shrimp boil and the re-telling of tales.

I am coming up on my annual LEOSA qualification next month. In recent years I have been a bit melancholy at this time, as I lost a very good friend to cancer two years ago, who I did LEOSA quals with every year for years. He was a retired DEA firearms instructor and one of the finest marksmen I have ever met, and the two of us always had the best targets. The Sheriff's rangemaster always remarked that he wished their deputies could shoot that well. I approach qualification with purpose each year since Larry passed, as it is now my mission to hold up our standards. I will continue to do so for as many years as I can.

Looking back over the years, I have lost many friends and relatives, some suddenly, and some from lingering illnesses. When my Dad passed 30 years ago, the minister asked me what good memories I had, and whether I had any regrets. I told him that my greatest regret was that I had not spent more time with him when he was alive, and he told me that was a good regret to have. If I had it to do over, I would ask about his memories, take him fishing, go for long walks, and maybe do some squirrel hunting with him.

Since that time I have made it a habit to visit with old friends and family whenever I can, even when travel is involved. I would travel to their funerals after all, so why not go visit them when they are alive where we can reminisce and laugh together and perhaps break bread at least one more time.

I have a circle of friends who are dyed in the wool shooters and gun enthusiasts. We have had lunch together two or three times a week, for more than 10 years. We have told and retold our war stories and ailments so many times that all of us know all the others' tales and pains. We have lost two of our number in recent years and they are deeply missed at our table, but the loss has brought us closer. We used to meet for the shooting activities but now the shooting has become secondary to the fellowship (and lunch). There is always laughter at our table and the waitresses like us because we are all handsome and tip well. (Well, at least we tip well.)

My purpose for sharing in this forum of like minds is a reminder of how fragile life is, and how fleeting opportunities to celebrate life can be. We all understand the perils and the fragility of life. After all, we expend great energy on the topic of guns and ballistics and self defense. Let's also take some time to contemplate what friends and family mean to us, and let's not be left with great regrets. I intend to celebrate life to the greatest extent possible, while packing a .45, and I will have that 1911 I have been jonesing for. (Dang, I like saying "packing a .45"). BTW, after practicing the course of fire, lunch today will be cajun shrimp boil and the re-telling of tales.
Well said. Thanks for sharing.

HayesGreener your post for me really hits home. I lost my wife last year and my life and attitude have changed in ways I couldn't have imagined. Yes as we get older the perils and the fragility of life become more obvious and one's lookout on life and relationships becomes more introspective. It's hard to look forward to the future when you spend so much of your time thinking about the past and what was. Some are better than others.

I have friends but all of my " best friends " are all gone now. You never know when how long a person has so enjoy the time together as often as you can.

My closest buddy and I texted back and forth 6/15/18. On 6/17/18 I got a call from his son telling me he had passed away. That was Father's day. :cry:
It has been 3 years but it seems like just yesterday.

Thanks for your thoughts HG,
One of my mothers favorite sayings was "Give me flowers while I'm still living so I can appreciate them more." We did. She was a great mom.

HayesGreener your post for me really hits home. I lost my wife last year and my life and attitude have changed in ways I couldn't have imagined. Yes as we get older the perils and the fragility of life become more obvious and one's lookout on life and relationships becomes more introspective. It's hard to look forward to the future when you spend so much of your time thinking about the past and what was. Some are better than others.
Yes, can relate. Priorities shift, thoughts change all over the place. It hits hard in unexpected ways. Best to you.

Very well said Sir, I think we all get caught up in doing things everyday just to keep our heads above water that we forget the biggest priority, the priority of living life to fullest and enjoying every moment like it’s your last because you never know when It could be.

This post makes me wonder wtf happened with my generation. The past couple of years, the culture war has torn apart just about everyone in my circle of friends and family I thought I was close with. I honestly feel like my sister, my wife, and my best friend from college are the only people I have left in the country that live in reality.

My best friend from childhood visited me about a year ago, stayed with me a couple weeks at my house. It was great catching up, and having fun, until I realized he had massive TDS, and accused me of being brainwashed while reciting CNN verbatim. All because I tried to fact check and debunk a couple of news stories he brought up.

Back