testtest

And yet another issue with my .308 - I'm getting beyond fed up

Spoke too soon. Took it out today and repeated jams, rounds stuck in chamber, primers blown to shreds and me digging them out of mags, feed ramps and barrel.

At this point I'm over having this ****ing thing. It's ruined literally all but one of my range trips since I bought it.

Blown primers are not the guns fault, typically. What ammo are you shooting?
I've had to return it to Springfield for warranty repairs twice already before i've put 200 rounds through, im leaning more towards issues with the firearm itself. This will now be the 3rd time. I super duper extra cleaned and lubed it before it went out today too.

Winchester and Federal Ammo. White box (both 149 grain), and some Winchester Super X (180gr) today.

all 3 had jamming issues, and atleast 2 of them had absolutely shredded primers and damage to the casings.

I think the only way the rifle would be responsible for blown primers would be excessive headspace. It's not like you're using Joe-Blow's discount reloads either. Have these been the same batches of ammo? Have you reached out to the amm mfrs ? Might be worth an email.

I think the only way the rifle would be responsible for blown primers would be excessive headspace. It's not like you're using Joe-Blow's discount reloads either. Have these been the same batches of ammo? Have you reached out to the amm mfrs ? Might be worth an email.
I’m thinking with all the history of this rifle, just what we on this forum know about even, the problem is definitely with the gun.
Get rid of it.

When you got the rifle back from Springfield the last time and it worked as it should was the ammunition the same when it failed the last time described above? If so I would look at those rounds to see if they are consistent in the cases and or if someone you know has a .308 have them try them in there rifle.
Also as mentioned try some different brands of ammunition.

It's been Federal and Winchester ammo for 230+ of the 250 rounds ive put through it. Mostly all white box on both, (different batches as i've bought some back in february/march and also as recently as 2 weeks ago) with some of that winchester super X mixed in there. Also I had that issue with the Herter's and Aguila stuff too, which I got rid of immediately after that fiasco, and I was hoping was the issue but now it's pretty clear to me it's the rifle. The only ammo ive got left for it that I have not put through it yet is some Hornady Match 168gr BTHP, and i'm pretty reticent to even open a box of that because it's hard to find and expensive.

When you got the rifle back from Springfield the last time and it worked as it should was the ammunition the same when it failed the last time described above? If so I would look at those rounds to see if they are consistent in the cases and or if someone you know has a .308 have them try them in there rifle.
Also as mentioned try some different brands of ammunition.

Same ammo along with something I hadn't shot before (the winchester super X)
The Federal and Winchester white box stuff were different lot/batch #'s

For what it's worth, I looked at a few of the casings that did fire and cycled properly, which was few and far between.
The primers that weren't blown out had some really deep strikes in them.

Not saying its not the gun, which it sounds like possibly it is, but ammo has been my biggest issue on guns .

my M1A refused to function with m118 US Army spec 7.62 175 gr.
Every other .308 I had chewed it up .

switched to commercial Win and Rem .308 and my m1a has run flawless.
Sometimes a brand of ammo is the crutch.

I respect your opinion and insight.
in that case That gun needs to go back to Springfield with a strong message that he doesn’t want it back until it’s right.
It's a more than just a return for repair problem at this point. It went back twice already and this is the third strike. Springfield Armory has been unable to remedy the problems so it's time to replace the rifle. This is obviously a bad apple and is in no way representative of the Victor .308 series of rifles or pistols, since its not a problem that has been replicated or reproduced with other rifles within the series or we'd probably hear it on this forum. If we're caught up on keeping your current serial number, ask for an upper swap.
@ddeuce22 has described buying several Springfields, which is warranty registration verifiable so they definitely should take his business serious.
Take care of your customers especially your loyal customers, is the way I see it.

They held onto it for 3 weeks this time. It's on it's way back. Not sure how to feel. Part of me wants to sell it and be done with it. But I also hate the notion of passing it along to someone and they inherit the problems, without the option of a warranty. Invoice below for those curious.

1629415437270.png

They held onto it for 3 weeks this time. It's on it's way back. Not sure how to feel. Part of me wants to sell it and be done with it. But I also hate the notion of passing it along to someone and they inherit the problems, without the option of a warranty. Invoice below for those curious.

View attachment 19941
It looks like they completely replaced all the major components of your upper and I'll be amazed if it doesn't work right this time around.

With a new BCG and barrel there's not much else that I could imagine cause the issues you were having but I'm interested in hearing your experience with the returned rifle.

It looks like they completely replaced all the major components of your upper and I'll be amazed if it doesn't work right this time around.

With a new BCG and barrel there's not much else that I could imagine cause the issues you were having but I'm interested in hearing your experience with the returned rifle.

They should have replaced the upper receiver since it could be out of whack.

My guess is that they might have checked headspace while the barrel wasn't installed? Inmost cases there's nothing wrong with that process. I've had a few that would headspace uninstalled, but headspace was incorrect after installation using the same bolt and BCG. Too much headspace is worse than too little (or so I've been told) , but can't confirm. Not sure if the key or the bc was the issue. How did the firing pin look? Was it normal or was the tip damaged? I wonder if the pin ruptured the primer. I have had a few do this. Those weren't factory built guns that I've had issues with. Building 50+ ARs has been a good learning lesson. I'm no expert, just experienced. Whether it be 5.56 in NATO or Wylde and 7.62NATO and 308Win from pistol too rifle length gas systems are the easiest/best working gas systems. When you have offsprings in either platform it can get tricky on cycling without case, primer, fte, ftf or bolt holding open on last round. If you were too close the gas block you still shouldn't have those issues. Regardless of weak spring, bad buffer or gas rings you still shouldn't have this problem. As mentioned by others if ammo is fine (maybe varify with other guns if same cartridge) it should be headspacing? With that being said I have had blown primers with Hornady 6.5CM factory ammo in a AR10 platform. I've used the same ammo in other AR10s from 18" to 24" barrels with no primer problems. From aero precision with rifle length gas system all functioned properly. Other mfgs with standard and +2" gas system primers would blow. So I wouldn't say it's ammo related, but not ruled out?

Back