testtest

Any Security System Experts Out There?

The data is networked and routed through wifi as well as hardwired to a dedicated hard drive which is not easily accessible and virtually impossible to find, as it is not located within the living space. Cameras capture the entire length of the cable line from the pole to the house as well. So cut the cable? Smile, your picture is now safely stored where you will never find it and you don't even have a clue it exists.
My system feels really inadequate now....☹️ All I have is a moat and these silly ramparts with boiling oil......... Jk😜

My system feels really inadequate now, all's I have is a moat and these silly ramparts with boiling oil......... Jk😜
Dude, it has been a lifelong dream of mine to build a trebuchet in my back yard. And I'm not kidding one little bit. My backyard ends at the river. On the other side of the river is a farmers field. On the other side of that field, about 1000 yards away is the 2 lane highway I live off of.

It would also be possible to install inground pop up sprinkler systems and fill said systems with, I don't know, kerosene, gasoline or, maybe just water for the grass. jk. maybe.

As others noted:
-heavy door frame
- double deadbolt
- big screws
-dog
- lots of lights
- bushes and trees not close enough or have them low enough to not offer cover
- garage door deterrent
- cameras on windows
- alarm

— oh and did I mention dog that stares them in the face when they are at the window.

- have dog always answer door with you if door to door salesman approaches.. they tell the other perps who is easy or not

- i vaseline my front door knob. I never use it. Pisses off door to door people that check your door knob

Seriously, I tried for a long time to get my wife to commit to some basic cameras. You know, the $400-$500 variety. She flat refused for the reason you stated. Any system that relies on wifi or the internet is not secure. Period.

Dude, it has been a lifelong dream of mine to build a trebuchet in my back yard. And I'm not kidding one little bit. My backyard ends at the river. On the other side of the river is a farmers field. On the other side of that field, about 1000 yards away is the 2 lane highway I live off of.

It would also be possible to install inground pop up sprinkler systems and fill said systems with, I don't know, kerosene, gasoline or, maybe just water for the grass. jk. maybe.
I'm not sure what lawn will thrive with kerosene or gasoline but it would make one a hell of a forth of july show!

I'm not sure what lawn will thrive with kerosene or gasoline but it would make one a hell of a forth of july show!

Imagine the door to door salesman. Comes through your front gate, get's hit with some gasoline and there you are, standing at the front door with this.

" Can I help you".

Imagine the door to door salesman. Comes through your front gate, get's hit with some gasoline and there you are, standing at the front door with this.

" Can I help you".
God I want one of those!

I installed all kinds of complete home security systems. Really, a car battery, a battery maintainer charger, a couple of motion detectors, a couple relays and a super loud siren are just as good and in some ways better.
I designed far more complicated electrical systems than a home security system.
You could always use a universal remote ( like a remote car starter) to activate and disarm it as well. Or those plug in things you can control from your phone or alexa.
The place I worked for years ago did have the option for an additional money, of installing a siren in the eves. You set that off and people are going to start looking out the windows and it is going to scare the crap out of anyone trying to get in.

Hardwired is simply defeated by cutting the internet line to the house so no signal can be sent.

Simplisafe upgraded their system a few years back with more advanced encryption so signal cloning devices can't hack their system and also Simplisafe use cellphone call-out incase of a down network.

To your point some systems are easily defeated with cheap devices found online and that's the reason for my statement in post #8 to not post what security system you are using because thieves are getting crafty with cheap technology.

When I wrote of "hardwired" I was actually referring to hardwiring the door and window switches as well as the floor pressure pads, motion detectors, sirens, strobe lights, etc... being wired rather than wireless.

Notification methods could and should be redundant and include both wired and wireless. As a point of interest, some of us have buried telephone and internet access with no above ground indication they exist. The brain box could also be tied to a cellular phone as well.

I fully understood your guidance on avoiding identifying ones security service. It is an important point. (y)

Another thing to note is whatever alarm system you choose don't hang signage and decals broadcasting it because if there's a way to defeat your particular system, someone will only need to do a quick Google search.
A generalized sign is a good deterrent while a name brand one may not be? Name brand may give a head's up to potential "whatever" people too? But, who's to say what brand is really what's in use? :)

There's some pretty good tracking hardware out there for yard sprinkler systems meant for keeping pest out of gardens. May work well for obstructing other intruders (even with water) too? :)

Maybe fun for tracking door to door salesmen too? - Salesmen? Guess I watched movie Second Hand Lions too much? :)

There's some pretty good tracking hardware out there for yard sprinkler systems meant for keeping pest out of gardens. May work well for obstructing other intruders (even with water) too? :)

Maybe fun for tracking door to door salesmen too? - Salesmen? Guess I watched movie Second Hand Lions too much? :)
The motion sensing sprinkler system sounds like a great idea especially if you combine it with @Bassbob idea of filling the system with a flammable substance....🤣

Back