testtest

Anyone carry a Mil-Spec 1911? If so let’s talk about the pros and cons

Th@tGuy

Elite
Last week I traded one of my polymers for a lightly used Springfield Mil-Spec. Even trade so that was a major plus. So I did the usual and took it to shoot a day after I got it, it ran flawlessly without any problems. Both ball ammo and hollow points cycled reliably. Decided on 2 “upgrades” and only 2, and they were the grips, and a full length Wilson Combat guid rod and flat wire recoil spring. Took it out to shoot with the new guide rod and spring yesterday and had the same results, no failures at all.

So I got to thinking, why not carry it every now and then, since it’s pretty dependable and the fact that I like bigger handguns. I know I’ll be giving up capacity but 7+1 rounds of 45 is more than enough. And as Top used to say in my Army days “whether you have 10 rounds or 30, it doesn’t matter if you can’t hit s###”. My holster finally came in, got one from Relentless Tactical, and for $30 I got a leather holster of the highest quality I’ve seen. It’s thick, comfortable, and beautiful as well.

So guys tell me your pro and cons in carrying the Mil-Spec, heck any 1911 in that case, I love to hear what you all have to say.

Attachments

• 02C3DF54-D1C4-423A-BC34-274D3B4FD0DD.jpeg
    02C3DF54-D1C4-423A-BC34-274D3B4FD0DD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 209
  • F07BBACE-790F-46D6-9B24-306A95E55A8E.jpeg
    F07BBACE-790F-46D6-9B24-306A95E55A8E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 200
My SA Stainless Mil-Spec is one of my favorite range guns. I'm not opposed to the idea of carrying a 1911 as my EDC, but the Mil-Spec wouldn't be my first choice. If I were to EDC a 1911 it would probably be a Commander model with fiber-optic or night sights. I would be fine with a capacity of 7 or 8 +1 rounds .45 ACP. The only aspects of the Mil-Spec that would bother me are the size, weight, and sights.

If it’s reliable, you shoot it well, and you can carry it comfortably, I don’t really see any downsides. If concerned about capacity 1911 mags are pretty thin and fit in a pocket pretty easily. I’ve carried my operator now on occasion. Not my go to carry but I do enjoy it and it’s not bad to carry. Plus it’s just nice to carry a full size 1911 sometimes.

Best thing about my state of Georgia is that you no longer need a permit to carry here. Only reason I’ll continue to get one is to travel to reciprocating states.
I live in Florida, where I think that Constitutional Carry is destined to become the law. I lived in Ohio, when there was no carry, OC or concealed, at the time. And now they are Constitutional Carry, and that is minor miracle.

I am going to get a CCW one of these days, but old age and an infirm body, have played havoc on my plans.

I've carried mine on a bunch of occasions. If i'm going to a place where I feel comfortable open carrying, I'll carry it. Still haven't ventured out much into trying to conceal. It's just too big. Weight is fine though, I like the feel of it on my hip.

Maybe one day I'll find the right holster for IWB and see how it works out.

I actually like the weight when shooting. Helps mitigate recoil. But I have noticed a little hitch in my giddyup lately.

In my opinion, the larger wound channel makes up for the lack of capacity
And I agree with you that the weight of the 1911 helps to mitigate recoil my Emissary is a very smooth shooter however my post was answering the original OP’s question about carrying a 1911 and with my small frame the heavy all steel gun was very heavy and uncomfortable to carry, I also stand by my round count statement which is why I prefer my .40 or 10mm striker fired guns as with JHP rounds are just as significant as a .45

Last week I traded one of my polymers for a lightly used Springfield Mil-Spec. Even trade so that was a major plus. So I did the usual and took it to shoot a day after I got it, it ran flawlessly without any problems. Both ball ammo and hollow points cycled reliably. Decided on 2 “upgrades” and only 2, and they were the grips, and a full length Wilson Combat guid rod and flat wire recoil spring. Took it out to shoot with the new guide rod and spring yesterday and had the same results, no failures at all.

So I got to thinking, why not carry it every now and then, since it’s pretty dependable and the fact that I like bigger handguns. I know I’ll be giving up capacity but 7+1 rounds of 45 is more than enough. And as Top used to say in my Army days “whether you have 10 rounds or 30, it doesn’t matter if you can’t hit s###”. My holster finally came in, got one from Relentless Tactical, and for $30 I got a leather holster of the highest quality I’ve seen. It’s thick, comfortable, and beautiful as well.

So guys tell me your pro and cons in carrying the Mil-Spec, heck any 1911 in that case, I love to hear what you all have to say.
I carry a full size 1911 in the winter when a jacket helps conceal it. In the summer I carry an EMP4CCC. I don't have a problem with the weight, I also carry 2 mags in addition to the one in the firearm. I've found the 1911 style pistols easy to conceal due to how thin they are. I've been carrying a 1911 of and on for 15 years. I did carry a full size striker fired for a while, but always came back to the 1911.

Hi,

I think I could get away with carrying a 5" 1911. I have a Relentless Tactical leather holster for my XD9 and it's really comfy with a deeper conceal than my kydex.

The sights on the G.I. model would be a concern to me too, just because these old eye don't see as well. But that's just me. Are the sights upgrade-able on the Mil-Spec model? Asking for myself. :D

I also like the upgrades you've chosen. Classy, practical, but not overboard. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back