testtest

Anyone do minimalist camping?

When my sons were young, I spent 12 years as a Boy Scout leader. I've thrown a poncho down in an open field and called that home. Went camping every month all year long regardless of weather. Spent many weekends with just what was strapped to my back.
Gonna live totally off the land.
You might wanna seriously rethink that. Its much harder than most people think. Odds are you'll end up very hungry and thirsty. Maybe something much worse. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
All of you campers better study up on Chris McCandless before you go. Jus' sayin'!!!
OH how I would like to go off on a rant about McCandless, but nope I aint going to do it. I'll just say imo he was NOT a heroic tragic figure, more like a unprepaired, in over his head self-entitiled brat. Ops there I go, I'll shut up now................................................. ;) :LOL:

Seriously, have you EVER done this? If not, a smart puppy would rethink the plan and take some minimal supplies. Going out and “living off the land” is not easy or for the untrained. As a younger man I spent a LOT of time in the woods and camping. Despite “ Survivorman” and “Naked and Afraid” et al if you’re not prepared you are going to be pretty miserable if ya don’t know what you’re doing. As a minimum you’ll need a good ground cloth, a good wool blanket, fire starter, canteen (plus filter or purification tablets), a good knife, line and a couple fishhooks, a small boiler or skillet ( I use a reproduction CW issue “mucket”). I’d throw in some dried fruit, Jerky, parched corn (corn nuts). If you plan to live off the land you need to be able to recognize edible plants, set a snare, and catch fish. If you can’t do these things you’re in trouble. The supplies you’re carrying will keep you going if you don’t have luck finding groceries😊

All the more important/urgent to get a fire started!!! I used to never be caught without one or the other ... a BIC or a Zippo. At the stroke of midnight on 3/11/09 I made the decision to quit a 4 pk/day habit and put them down cold turkey, along with the lighters. Today the only use I have for a lighter is come B-day parties for the kids to light their candles.
Smoking is bad. I came across this guy this morning at work.

Just one half of one cigarette can kill you. If you’re a bat. I named him Bat Masterson

A military winter survival course taught me that I could survive without a lot on hand. I can make a fish net, set a snare, build a fire (using a flint and striker) build a lean to from pine boughs, and keep my sharps sharp. It can take a lot out of you, and nowadays safe drinking water is harder to find. Not sure I would want to do it again though. It was fun 40 years ago. 😎

OH how I would like to go off on a rant about McCandless, but nope I aint going to do it. I'll just say imo he was NOT a heroic tragic figure, more like a unprepaired, in over his head self-entitiled brat. Ops there I go, I'll shut up now................................................. ;) :LOL:
Can't disagree with anything you said here! I was only relating him to the final outcome that most don't foresee.

Jester didn’t post that he was “going naked and afraid.” He said he was taking a backpack, just no food or water, but he is taking the means to filter/purify water. He can go without eating for two days if he has to. But, there is quite a bit to eat in the woods if you know what to look for.

Have a good time, Jester. It is good to get away sometimes.

I am getting into it at the moment. Been getting a backpack together and have the first trip planned later this month. Going for 2 days and not taking anything to eat or drink. Gonna live totally off the land.

1712779476012.gif

I am getting into it at the moment. Been getting a backpack together and have the first trip planned later this month. Going for 2 days and not taking anything to eat or drink. Gonna live totally off the land.
How long can you live without water? About 3 days

As a general rule of thumb, a person can survive without water for about 3 days. However, some factors, such as how much water an individual body needs, and how it uses water, can affect this.

on a happier note...even mild-moderate dehydration can result in serious problems.

Back