testtest

AR15s and High Capacity Mags

As originally issued would be 20rd.

Current issue is 30...technically, high(er) capacity.

The XM16E1 entered US military service in 1964, and In March 1965, the Army began to issue the XM16E1 to infantry units on a trial basis.

In February 1967, the improved XM16E1 was standardized as the M16A1, and the 30 rd mag went into production and issued.

In 1969, the M16A1 officially replaced the M-14 to become the U.S. military's standard service rifle.

I consider either magazine as "normal" capacity, as issued, starting in 1967 once the M-16A1 was standardized.

BTW, the original ArmaLite AR-15 was developed in the late 50's using a 25 round magazine.

Last edited:
Note: In 1959, ArmaLite sold its rights to the AR-15 to Colt due to financial difficulties and limitations in terms of manpower and production capacity.

The Colt Model 601 was adopted first by the USAF, and was quickly supplemented with the XM16E1 (Colt Model 602) in March 1964, and later in February 1967, the M16A1 (Colt Model 604).

Tell me how you would handle this situation with a 5 round bolt gun or a 5 round shot gun .....

Those against MSR’s are Fuking clueless...
For that situation I'd have to go belt-fed!;)
IMG_1763.JPG

In a world where laws that restrict mag capacity seem to pepper the countryside and similar versions are very likely to become federal, I guess you could say that a high capacity mag is one that has a capacity to hold more than what is commonly allowed in jurisdictions that restrict such things. In the past several decades the term has been rather synonymous with magazines that hold over 10 rounds.

Do we need to talk about "clip"?

I don't think it will become federal law any time soon.

@DeploraBill

I think too many people on here hold out hope that the current administration will actually follow the rules.

I, for one, think there will be many shady interpretations and new interpretations of existing laws to accomplish what they want. I also hold out no faith in congress to not fold like a cheap suit on new gun control legislation.

As I have said on many occasions though, I hope I am wrong.

@DeploraBill

I think too many people on here hold out hope that the current administration will actually follow the rules.

I, for one, think there will be many shady interpretations and new interpretations of existing laws to accomplish what they want. I also hold out no faith in congress to not fold like a cheap suit on new gun control legislation.
Our lives, our liberty, and our property are never in greater danger than when Congress is in session. Mark Twain

There's a few definitions to what a high capacity mag is from what have heard and read.
The most common interpretations and understandings found:

1/ Anything over capacity of what manufacture originally supplied with weapon is high capacity.

2/ There is no such thing as high capacity mag. Is media hype. Weapon designed for any mag capacity that fits weapon and vice versa is standard application.

3/ Anything over 10 rounds is high capacity even if manufactures standard is over 10 rounds.

There's a few definitions to what a high capacity mag is from what have heard and read.
The most common interpretations and understandings found:

1/ Anything over capacity of what manufacture originally supplied with weapon is high capacity.

2/ There is no such thing as high capacity mag. Is media hype. Weapon designed for any mag capacity that fits weapon and vice versa is standard application.

3/ Anything over 10 rounds is high capacity even if manufactures standard is over 10 rounds.
Pretty much anything I’ve heard is #3. Anything over 10 rounds. It’s a bunch of BS and just an arbitrary number, but it’s what’s been thrown around. Mostly in terms of “you don’t need more than 10 rounds to kill an animal”. Too many of these bleeding hearts trying to attach the 2A to hunting...

Pretty much anything I’ve heard is #3. Anything over 10 rounds. It’s a bunch of BS and just an arbitrary number, but it’s what’s been thrown around. Mostly in terms of “you don’t need more than 10 rounds to kill an animal”. Too many of these bleeding hearts trying to attach the 2A to hunting...
Capacities?
Generally and conservatively speaking for CC, thinking 2 rounds per target being on safe side, only gives 5 targets.
For CC, 10 rounds is sometimes very minimal capacity depending on possible threat or target. Especially in "zombie territory." One and done doesn't always happen.

10 round capacity limitations borders on insanity and sometimes defies common sense, but is generally better than single loading. My usual defense is not being where needing 1 or any, but seems like may be little more difficult sometimes when traveling to or from unknown areas?

Am thinking other capacities may be more lacking besides guns ammo capacity? Am not speaking of trained, frequent or traditional gun owners either. Much could be solved by better and more widespread education.

@DeploraBill

As I have said on many occasions though, I hope I am wrong.
I don’t think that’s it. We all know Biden and the left will bend, break or change rules when it suits them. Harry Reid and the nuclear option for example. Now they’re talking about ending the filibuster and stacking the SCOTUS. Never looking forward to the point when these changes will come back to bite them in the a$$.
I think we are all hoping senate republicans stand firm and hoping some important gun cases go to the SCOTUS soon. We have to hope for that. The alternative is to prepare for a worst case scenario.

I don’t think that’s it. We all know Biden and the left will bend, break or change rules when it suits them. Harry Reid and the nuclear option for example. Now they’re talking about ending the filibuster and stacking the SCOTUS. Never looking forward to the point when these changes will come back to bite them in the a$$.
I think we are all hoping senate republicans stand firm and hoping some important gun cases go to the SCOTUS soon. We have to hope for that. The alternative is to prepare for a worst case scenario.
From one MI Republican Congressman
received statement from:

Representative John Moolenaar:

"Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019. As always, I welcome your input.

As you may know, H.R. 8, introduced by Representative Mike Thompson (D-CA), would require a background check through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System on almost all firearm sales and transfers. This legislation would require all non-licensed and individual gun sellers to work through an authorized vendor to conduct background checks for potential buyers. Further, this legislation would prohibit caps being placed on fees that authorized vendors may use to facilitate purchases and transfers of property. Further, H.R. 8 would prohibit all non-licensed individuals from storing records of background checks or firearms purchases and transfers.

You may be interested to know, I've supported legislation that updates the National Instant Criminal Background Check System to improve the sharing of mental health and criminal record information between state and local agencies and the federal database. I believe it is important that we strengthen the ties that bind the family, school and community. In my view, a commonsense approach can be found that helps keep firearms out of the hands of criminals and others posing serious danger, while protecting legal firearm ownership."

Nothing else mentioned. Hopefully real commonsense prevails?

That's not exactly correct. Incr its passed, the people who dont like it have to go to SCOTUS to get it declared unconstitutional. There's no requirement for Congress to show its constitutional if it isnt challenged and if SCOTUS doesn't take up the case.
Doesn’t have to get to the SCOTUS

It will immediately be challenged and it will end up at SCOTUS. With the current make-up of the court I doubt they will even try to pass anything that could end up at SCOTUS.
The anti 2nd Amendment / gun conspiracy and planning's been going on for quite some time, for many years. Some may dislike Trump for various reasons? But, he was more helpful and instrumental to and for average person than some people may realize when making decisions. Some current judges are an example? We may find out why soon?

The anti 2nd Amendment / gun conspiracy and planning's been going on for quite some time, for many years. Some may dislike Trump for various reasons? But, he was more helpful and instrumental to and for average person than some people may realize when making decisions. Some current judges are an example? We may find out why soon?
Absolutely.

I can be a bit more positive than that; Trump was the best President in my lifetime and perhaps the GOAT. Many folks fail to know or understand his autocratic style. He owned his companies. No board members or stockholders to consider or satisfy. He could make snap decisions that were often correct, that no one could overrule. He could discern a pansy a mile away. He demanded loyalty but never felt compelled to return it. Super confident, not needing approval of others. He could stand alone against all odds, never fold and never quit. The dead wood and wreckers and scratch my bakers, and quid pro quoers hate that type, they needed him but he did not need them. A super wealthy with a working mans perspective, very rare indeed. Just what we needed at the time, and still need. How could anyone love their country and its constitution and not like Trump? Does anyone know how many firearms he owns or what kind of instruction/range time he has? I care not of his taxes, the billions he's made nor the women he's laid, he's my kind of politician and I hate politicians. He was good for the 1st & 2nd and all the rest of the Amendments. I already have my TRUMP 2024 sticker and cap.

Guys with bump stocks might not agree.

Personally my enthusiasm for his style is considerably less than yours, but I agree that his policies were by and large right for the country. I think his "Love" for gun owners was more a love for the votes of gun owners, but, whatever works. He's a hell of a lot better than either of the people he ran against that's for sure.

Back