testtest

Best powder for .45 ACP

Love Clays... clean burn and it's fast burner too.
In my 45ACP I have stuffed, Auto-Comp, WSF, Bullseye, W231, Unique, V3N37.
Favorite so far would be the V3N37.
Looking to go with some Clays and BE-86 when I can create some empties at the range.

Love Clays... clean burn and it's fast burner too.
In my 45ACP I have stuffed, Auto-Comp, WSF, Bullseye, W231, Unique, V3N37.
Favorite so far would be the V3N37.
Looking to go with some Clays and BE-86 when I can create some empties at the range.
Hmm, I'll keep that in kind going forward. I still have to get my 10mm 165gr FMJ load with longshot or Power Pistol sorted, too. That'll be the next couple weekends now that Minnesota's ranges are open again.

I use 231 or AA#5 both provide enough energy to get the job done. I don't hot rod my guns or loads I stay within the suggested loads. When I buy a new batch of bullets or powder I recheck the data and start load development again.

I don't use my reloads for self-defense carry ammo I use factory ammo as a rule and I change it all out once a year and purchase new Factory ammo.

In .45 ACP I like the Barnes TAC-XPD 185 grain +p solid copper hollow point (SCHP) & The Federal 230-Grain HST +P

In 9mm I like the Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 9mm 124 Grain +P Jacketed Hollow Point ammo. & Hornady Critical Duty 135-grain +p flex tip.

Reloads for plinking I like the ball FMJ in .45 230- grain +P & 9MM 124-grain FMJ +P.

Will be loading a thousand or so 9mm for plinking..... use Clays as it burns fast and clean.
I don't keep Universal (Clays) as it's in the same range as BE-86 and Power Pistol of which
I have both on the shelf

Bullseye and 231 were definitive powers for the .45 Auto. Both are antiquated technology. Both are excessively dirty.

If I were limited to one .45 Auto powder, it'd be Unique. It's versatility is amazing.

A box self-defense ammo would last be 3 lifetimes. Hence, rather that tediously load precise powder charges for a box of self-defense rounds, it's far more convenient to buy a box.

Hodgdon has revolutionized .45 Auto target shooting when it introduced Titegroup. Titegroup meters like a dream. It produces consistent accuracy and velocity. It appears competition shooters have switched to Titegroup. It performs flawlessly at minimum loads.

I love Titegroup because at minimum loads, which is where 99% of my handgun loads are found, they're a blast for kids to shoot, recoil is easily manageable, you won't need a passport to retrieve brass, there's far less operating stress on handguns, and it's cost effective.

My guess is Titegroup will cause Bullseye and 231 to be d/c'd.

Bullseye and 231 were definitive powers for the .45 Auto. Both are antiquated technology. Both are excessively dirty.

If I were limited to one .45 Auto powder, it'd be Unique. It's versatility is amazing.

A box self-defense ammo would last be 3 lifetimes. Hence, rather that tediously load precise powder charges for a box of self-defense rounds, it's far more convenient to buy a box.

Hodgdon has revolutionized .45 Auto target shooting when it introduced Titegroup. Titegroup meters like a dream. It produces consistent accuracy and velocity. It appears competition shooters have switched to Titegroup. It performs flawlessly at minimum loads.

I love Titegroup because at minimum loads, which is where 99% of my handgun loads are found, they're a blast for kids to shoot, recoil is easily manageable, you won't need a passport to retrieve brass, there's far less operating stress on handguns, and it's cost effective.

My guess is Titegroup will cause Bullseye and 231 to be d/c'd.
If you like Unique then you really need to try BE-86... about the same burn rate as Unique/Power Pistol. Meters great
and can be used in any of the auto loads.
I load a lot of Titegoup but if you want something snappy like that try Clays.
I use a lot of Clays in the plinking 9mm. Even a smaller load than Titegroup and Clays burns nice and clean. IMHO

I still like 231 for my wheel guns

Happy Memorial Day SMSgtRod,

Thanks for the BE-86 tip. I will check in to it.

I love Unique for its versatility. At low end loading, it's extremely forgiving. A tenth one war or the other won't matter. But Unique meters terribly. And the newer, cleaner version of Unique is not cleaner. If it is cleaner, it's not to a noticeable degree.

I like Titegroup at minimum loads. A little goes a long way, and it's very clean. Because I use 5 grains or less, I'll always visually check cases for double charges.

With 200 grain semiwadcutters at minimum load, Titegroup is very accurate, and recoil is slight.

Back