testtest

Best way to conceal carry

Welcome to the question that never ends and has no one right answer. Every person who carries needs to go on the journey to find what works for you. Some of what works for others can work for you. But the only way to be sure is to try different things and find out what your skill level allows and what you are able to put up with for hrs on end. Carrying is a job and may not always be comfortable and thats just the physical part and doesn’t include the mental mind set required. If possible go to a store any try things on. But even then 10 min in a store or recommendations online can not replace the 10,000 hrs of actual carry to find out what works for you. I don’t know a single shooter that found the perfect holster or carry method the first time. Everyone has that bin of old holsters that they no longer use, sucks but it is part of it.

Personally, I don't conceal or open carry, I simply carry. I also take advantage of my situation.
boot carry.jpg

IWB appendix carry.

Not for us fat people. LOL.....

Not so fast, papa. :)

Don't take this the wrong way - I'm not using this post to call you out or suggest that you're wrong.

Rather, it's just to illustrate a few things:

(1) Comfort is subjective - this needs no further clarification.

(2) "Concealment" is also somewhat subjective. Different folks have different definitions of what exactly that word means. To some, it simply means that the weapon itself is not grossly in plain sight. To others, it means that short of a physical pat-down, there's no way that even those who should know that a weapon may be present will in any way be able to visualize it.

(3) Gear and setup can make all the difference. Spencer Keepers isn't a small guy by any means of the words, and it just so happens that his gear are among, objectively, the best in the industry where it comes to IWB and AIWB concealment:

This is a guy who is not only considered by many to be an SME in this specific topic area, but also has the credentials to walk that talk, with many finals runs, if not wins, against his peers.

:)

Those of you who've seen my past posts in other threads know that I'm a porky type. I've got a few pictures below which show me with a tucked-in shirt that - while it doesn't do anything to advance our current discussion on "concealment" - reveals my pot-belly Buddah shape quite mercilessly and without shame......

1582075786733.png

Flat Range Carbine 2.jpg

And below, I'm in the tucked-in green wool sweater, second one from the right
On line.png

I'm a porky 250 lbs. on a medium frame, at 6' even.

I usually conceal at my 2:30 - somewhere between strong-side IWB and AIWB, and my usual gear works out very, very well for me with that clocking and how I set up the gun, under the types of T-shirts that I typically wear (you can see some pictures of how I look practically every day of the year in the post here - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/type-of-holster-you-use-for-edc.172/page-2)

However, because of my work and other places where I need to be during my usual days, I don't always have the ability to legally conceal-carry, so instead, as with many legal conceal-carry Ohioans, I lock and secure a handgun in my vehicle so that I can "arm-up" when I am no longer prohibited from doing so. In order to facilitate safe and speedy arming/disarming, I keep my "car gun," a Glock 32, in a simple Blade-Tech Klipt. I can easily don and doff the gun/holster in the time-span of a typical city intersection's red light.

^ And you know what? With this setup, because of where the clip on the holster is versus the belt-loops of my jeans, I'm more a the 2-o'clock or even 1:30-ish.

Is it the best concealment? No, it isn't. The grip length of the G19-sized guns has always given me a bit of an issue based on my body shape/type and my clothing, but then again, this particular holster doesn't use a tucking strut/wedge, either, so there's always that. But at the same time, when I got up in the restaurant to pay, no-one started shouting. 😁

Comfort? It wasn't my usual, but I had no problem either while eating this:

1582077778436.png

(^ not my picture - but this is the Moctezuma Molcajete at Don Ramone's, a bubbling hot stone grinding bowl of deliciousness that's shrimp, beef, and chicken)

^ Or even on the drive home afterwards. :)

Fat guys can AIWB, too. ;)

TSI .... I didn't say pleasingly plump , I said FAT! LOL I am 5'7" on a good day and around 300 give or take a couple lbs. So no , aiwb carry will not work for me. Even if I was slim and trim I probably wouldn't choose that position to carry.

Also I take no offense to you showing that some SLIGHTLY over weight folks can aiwb carry . ;) (y)

As a big guy, overweight, I still manage to carry a normal firearm IWB in a leather holster. Granted I always have a very loose shirt and wear the holster at about 2:00. By "normal" I mean 90% of the time 1 of 4 H&K's.

As an aside to carrying with one NOT in the chamber. This of course is a personal choice. I had a friend who started out this way and all I said to him was to think about certain scenarios. No matter how much we practice, and I don't usually carry a gun with a safety for that reason, things happen. Imagine being confronted with someone brandishing a knife. Your immediate reaction is to ward them off with a hand. How do you now rack your slide? Reactions are automatic and not always something you can control. The Israeli's practice a lot. Just like pro shooters sometimes shoot 3000 rounds a week. Different strokes.

I carry IWB with a CC gun belt.

If I wear 32w pants and large shirt I carry my 911. If I'm wearing 34w pants with XL shirt I carry xd mod2.

So for the most part I wear what I want and choose the gun that works best with the clothing I'm wearing,,, unless I know I going to a bad part of town then it's the xd mod2 and then I dress to fit that gun

Show off!!!!!! I'm just giving you a hard time. Although i think it should be a rule that if someone post a picture of a nice gun like that that people need to also post details for the droolers among us lol.
Barrett .50 cal
Shoots like my .270 Weatherby Mag with felt recoil due to its 34 lbs weight, huge recoil spring and muzzle brake the size of my hand. Surprisingly nice to shoot.
It is LOUD though !!!!

Well, it has been mentioned in this thread but you say you carry a Ruger SR9c. That is not a huge gun and should carry comfortable IWB/AIWB in which position depends on you and your flexibility. I usually carry 4:00ish... if not AIWB. Find a spot that is comfortable for you, draw from it, repeatedly. Also, as has been mentioned is a good gun belt. Truly can’t be emphasized. If you are going to carry day in and day out, get a good gun belt. I don’t know the best out there but I, as I’m sure with the others can and would be more than happy to put up suggestions. Lastly, how you carry, “cocked and locked” “hot” “condition 1 or 3” or empty with you magazine in your pocket is up to you. People are different, I train and carry with one in the chamber and have expressed my reasons in another thread. Again lots of great advice here and not trying to repeat it.

The only thing I carry AIWB is a DAO revolver...and I religiously put the revolver in the holster, then the holster in my pants.

It pretty much guarantees the twig & berries’ safety.

Otherwise, I’m usually carrying around 3:00 IWB/OWB.

Or pocket carrying.

I’ll throw a shoulder holster into the mix from time to time, particularly if I’m driving a long distance.

Back