testtest

Best Weaponlight for the 1911?

^ Modlite and Cloud Defensive -as well as Malkoff Devices- have converted quite the bit of the cognoscente.....

To be brutally honest, I am among those who think that Surefire has rested too long on their laurels. While certain of their products are still literally the only choice in some special-applications (and are quite impressive, at-that), in terms of the more common handgun and long-gun mounted weaponlights and handhelds, they're really up against some pretty darned stiff competition, a lot that are really hypercharged with extremely hot specs, using more modern battery technology and with some serious output (often that which puts comparative products from Surefire if not exactly to-shame, still definitely on the defensive).

A lot of us still stick with Surefire because of the known durability/reliability of their products, but the truth of the matter is that modern LEDs and electronics are impressively durable and reliable in and of themselves. Even the "lesser" overseas manufacturers/OEs have products that have been openly endorsed by noted SMEs.

I think they've clued-in to these facts more recently and have updated their products, but even so, their items really haven't struck fire with a lot of folks.

^ My 870 still wears their first-LED-generation light (it's not my primary HD gun, and my home and property is rather modest)..... I really haven't even felt the impetus to revamp, although I really should... 😅

Prior to the modern generation of pic-rail and M-LOK enabled forends, we were really hard-pressed to be able to find anything else that offered anywhere near as much light output as a direct-fit replacement. Instead, folks would have to get more creative, with items like the GG&G endcap ring, the Elzetta ZSM, or the L&M Enterprises magazine-tube clamp mounts.

^ My 870 still wears their first-LED-generation light (it's not my primary HD gun, and my home and property is rather modest)..... I really haven't even felt the impetus to revamp, although I really should... 😅

Prior to the modern generation of pic-rail and M-LOK enabled forends, we were really hard-pressed to be able to find anything else that offered anywhere near as much light output as a direct-fit replacement. Instead, folks would have to get more creative, with items like the GG&G endcap ring, the Elzetta ZSM, or the L&M Enterprises magazine-tube clamp mounts.
The Magpul forend opens up limitless possibilities.

https://www.recovertactical.com - offers a limited solution based on a clamshell grip panel replacement.

As @Sld1959 , the Streetlight TLR6 for non-railed 1911s is also a possibility: https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/data-sheet/TLR6-1911Datasheet.pdf . There's a limited list of known-good fitments, but the main shortcoming is rather anemic white-light capability (particularly for a full-sized configuration)

Surefire also offered the MR07, which was incorporated a replacement slide-stop as its mounting point. It has been discontinued for some time, now, but you might still be able to find them on the secondary market. Even as of just a couple of years ago, it was getting to be a rare -and often expensive- find.

Regardless of how you choose to attack this problem, @M1A2 , one big problem will be finding a holster to fit, or landing the custom work for the same.

Last edited:
Streamlight racker. Love mine.

I think I may have to revisit these - thank you for bringing it up. (y)

The last I looked into these was quite a few years ago, and they were only 300 lumens (and I don't think they spec'ed candela/lux at the time). Now at 1K lumens and 20K candela, I think it would be a great option for a HD shotgun, particularly given the weight and form-factor.

Offsetting my decision is the fact that I have several Malkoff heads hanging around....... :)

Last edited:
What about those 1911's without the mounting spot on the underside of the frame?
Lights, lasers? ...there are options out there for non railed 1911's.
(Keep in mind, lights and lasers usually change holster fitment too. isn't always so easy finding holsters that work right.) Are some major mfg. names, some not. Haven't tried any of them, so can't comment on quality or use. Like this one:

Yep, everyone has what they like. Me personally I really dislike pistol or vertical grips. On a shotgun they are really something I dislike. That's just me, and it's probably one reason why I yet to buy an AR lol.
I put a vert grip on the 500 when I got the Magpul forend. I almost immediately removed it and it's in a drawer out on my shed along with about 5 A2 pistol grips, the stock Mossberg 500 forend and other unused stuff.

I also don't have vert grips on any of my ARs. I have a handstop on the pistol, but only because it is the HS-1 Green Laser Handstop.

If I had a Tac 14 or some other shotgun with a pistol grip I would consider a vert grip. Originally my 500 came with a pistol grip. That's why I bought the vert grip. Then I took them both off.

I had Surefire on my MP5's dating back to the late 80's and still have a Surefire forearm light on my 870. After years of use and some pounding they were absolutely dependable. I have a half dozen Surefire handheld tactical lights that I use in night shooting classes and they likewise are highly dependable. Spendy, but you get what you pay for.

I have a TLR-1 from Streamlight for my pistols that I have been using for about 10 years. It has been through multiple high round count instructor courses and has never failed me. I will stay with this light as several of my holsters are fitted for it and I do not want to start changing holsters.

I apologize that this isn't on-topic, but inside the thread, a few of us had drifted-off a bit into the shotgun world with talk of the Surefire and Streamlight shotgun forends.

Found this article on Pew Pew Tactical just today that had a very nice comparison of the two, in their current iterations: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/streamlight-tl-racker-surefire-dsf-review/
Well, how ironic. After literally hundreds and hundreds of rounds one of the mounting screws on my cheap Chinese shotgun light failed today. I had no problems with the pressure witch or the light, just the mount. Nevertheless I took the whole thing off. Now I have a handy hand held flashlight.

Honestly I have never been a huge fan of lights on shotguns and I don't care what the PEW PEW guy says.

Back