testtest

Bison Hunt Coming Soon?

It's rare I agree with The Sierra Club or the humane society, but I'm leaning towards siding with them on this. And I do NOT oppose hunting Bison. The fact is the US was finding it impossible to subjugate and steal land from plains Indians, most notably Lakota, Cheyenne and Apache, so they opted to rub out all the buffalo which was their lifeblood. This made manifest destiny fait accompli for European Americans and relegated my ancestors to the perpetual system of poverty and subjugation known as the Reservation System. Yes, Bassbob is part "Redskin. Sioux and Cherokee to be specific. My great uncle was a tribal leader in the nations and is largely responsible for the Three Rivers medical facility which is arguably the best Native American medical facility in the world. He was also a WWII war hero. The US government is the last entity that should be in charge of the buffalo herds. Their historical record on that account is pathetic.

The fact is Pine Ridge and Standing Rock are a disgrace. The state of the people there is a black mark on American history as big as any. Many people there are starving, drug addicted and devoid of any sense of heritage. It seems to me that any "Excess" bison on US land should be returned to their original stewards. And while you're at it we want Pa Sapa back too.

Last edited:
Make no mistake I am NOT a PETA person, however there several solutions to this so called over population of bison. I agree with Bassbod !! Step back, take a breath, and figure it out before we put these bison on the endangered list 20 years from now.

The North American bison aren't going extinct anytime within the foreseeable future.

There are about 500,000 bison that currently exist on private lands and around 30,000 on public lands which includes environmental and government preserves in North America. According to the IUCN, roughly 15,000 bison are considered wild, free-range bison not primarily confined by fencing.

Excess bison numbers can create habitat damage just as bad as overgrazing by catte, and the Yellowstone NP herd (the largest) is managed to maintain a proper carrying capacity. Once numbers of the herd migrate off NPS lands to winter range the excess number animals are first offered to Indian tribes in Montana and elsewhere for relocation once the animals are determined to be disease-free. And there is a hunting season in MT for both Indian and non-Indian off National Park lands.

Besides there is a bison farm close to where I live and a couple hundred bison are easily viewable there from a major highway year-round.

I can buy bison meat every day in local stores.

Last edited:
The North American bison aren't going extinct anytime within the foreseeable future.

There are about 500,000 bison that currently exist on private lands and around 30,000 on public lands which includes environmental and government preserves in North America. According to the IUCN, roughly 15,000 bison are considered wild, free-range bison not primarily confined by fencing.

Excess bison numbers can create habitat damage just as bad as overgrazing by catte, and the Yellowstone NP herd (the largest) is managed to maintain a proper carrying capacity. Once numbers of the herd migrate off NPS lands to winter range the excess number animals are first offered to Indian tribes in Montana and elsewhere for relocation once the animals are determined to be disease-free. And there is a hunting season in MT for both Indian and non-Indian off National Park lands.

Besides there is a bison farm close to where I live and a couple hundred bison are easily viewable there from a major highway year-round.

I can buy bison meat every day in local stores.

Take a guess how many Bison there were just on the plains in say 1840 ?

Answer: About 40 million.

By 1880 there were less than 400,000

National Park Service calls for volunteers to kill bison at Grand Canyon. Read on for details:

There is a herd on private property next to our housing area, just a five minute walk to see these majestic beasts. The bulls are huge, and it's always nice to see the newborns each spring. We can always make a 30 minute drive to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge to see the wild herds that roam there.

Also, the National Bison Range is about a 45 min drive north of me. Mgt just switched from the USFWS to the Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes of the Flathead Nation.

Problem is?

Most “Bison” aren’t actually bison.

They’re hybrid (mainly with cattle).

As of a couple years ago, there were only about 11,000 pure bison left.

Just like any domestic animal breeds there are degrees of "crossing".

The most obvious crosses are the "Beefalo", and the least nearly 100% native genes.

Same goes with humans.

Problem is?
Most “Bison” aren’t actually bison.

They’re hybrid (mainly with cattle).

As of a couple years ago, there were only about 11,000 pure bison left.

I was just about to say the same thing.

There is a herd on private property next to our housing area, just a five minute walk to see these majestic beasts. The bulls are huge, and it's always nice to see the newborns each spring. We can always make a 30 minute drive to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge to see the wild herds that roam there.
Am thinking there's smaller private herds all over the country from what have seen.
Buffalo's pretty tasty, better than beef may be why?

Take a guess how many Bison there were just on the plains in say 1840 ?

Answer: About 40 million.

By 1880 there were less than 400,000
Yes, is pretty sad in some ways.
Buffalo are more aggressive than conventional more passive cattle from what have heard and may be some of it too?
May have caused some concerns with travelers? Travelers, you know the ones who travel 6 miles with right turn signals on and eventually turn left? :)

Yes, is pretty sad in some ways.
Buffalo are more aggressive than conventional more passive cattle from what have heard and may be some of it too?
May have caused some concerns with travelers? Travelers, you know the ones who travel 6 miles with right turn signals on and eventually turn left? :)

You should see the idiots in Yellowstone trying to get close to them. About a week after I was there 2 summers ago a couple and their young daughter were ignoring the hundreds of signs telling you to not get close and a buffalo charged and slung the little girl about 30' in the air. They can run faster than you and can weigh a ton or more. Keep your distance.

Bison meat is excellent. The best piece of meat you can get, in my opinion, is a buffalo tenderloin. Bison burger is much tastier than beef and much better for you.

You should see the idiots in Yellowstone trying to get close to them. About a week after I was there 2 summers ago a couple and their young daughter were ignoring the hundreds of signs telling you to not get close and a buffalo charged and slung the little girl about 30' in the air. They can run faster than you and can weigh a ton or more. Keep your distance.

Bison meat is excellent. The best piece of meat you can get, in my opinion, is a buffalo tenderloin. Bison burger is much tastier than beef and much better for you.

+1

There are several idiots each year that get "tossed" by bison each year in Yellowstone. Folks that don;t live in this Region think it's Disneyland and get in trouble.

Alredy one guy got chewed on by a Griz in the West yellowstone area, and died from it.

The North American Conservation Model worked better for the American Bison, and both the Woodland and Plains subspecies are now not endangered, with hunting legal in a number of states, such as Alaska, Missouri and South Dakota, and the Canadian provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta.

Back