testtest

Blades for Self-Defense: Fearsome or Foolhardy?

When you dont have a gun, its the next best thing. As long as you know how to use it.
1636737825101.gif

I think of a blade as a back-up gun. It's a spare weapon - it might be needed, if for whatever reason you are not able to use your primary weapon.

And it would be very useful if you had to cut something or open a can of food.

There are times when a blade is a better choice than a gun, believe it or not. Contact distance, being wrapped up…

But it’s also not something to do without training.

That being said, I always have a knife on me; the large Sebenza Classic today.

I just had to fly to Chicago for work and it was an incredibly long and naked four days without my standard "Bat Utility Belt" accessories. 1911, knife, OC spray. Luckily I've got some empty handed skills in addition to a salty scowl!
Circle of awareness and making good choices goes a lot further than anything else!

Always have a blade, actually two, one easily available for either hand. As noted by others, training is important for best results.

Also often carry an Irish blackthorn stick, or a specially designed cane, especially in areas where firearms are prohibited. Irish stick fighting classes help there too. I started carrying a cane when I had hip replacement, then found how handy they can be.

Last edited:
I just had to fly to Chicago for work and it was an incredibly long and naked four days without my standard "Bat Utility Belt" accessories. 1911, knife, OC spray. Luckily I've got some empty handed skills in addition to a salty scowl!
Circle of awareness and making good choices goes a lot further than anything else!
That's how I feel when I visit family in California.

I think of a blade as a back-up gun. It's a spare weapon - it might be needed, if for whatever reason you are not able to use your primary weapon.

And it would be very useful if you had to cut something or open a can of food.
Or simply to clean ur finger (and toenails?) with?
U can also lance a puser with it.
Might want to wipe it afore cutting the cheesecake.

I've always carried an assisted-opening folding knife clipped in the front pocket on the opposite side of my EDC. The vast majority of my bladed-weapon training involved using the blade to retain my firearm. The strategy is to keep the gun close to your body (preferably holstered) with your strong hand, while retrieving the blade with your off-hand.

I find that any of the Kershaw blades with the Speed-Assist feature fill the role quite well. I usually buy the "Made in America" models, but I've been impressed by the quality of the lower-priced Chinese-manufactured Kershaw models. I have never actually used my knife for defensive purposes, but the Kershaws have done a good job with all of my typical utility tasks.

Well at the risk of offending some members I have to say that I think a lot of people get wrapped up in fancy steel, what the SEALS carry and so on. Now I'm not saying I don't have a few high end knives ( mostly autos and OTFs), but I almost never carry them. On any given day I have a beat down $50 auto that has a mediocre steel blade, lovingly sharpened by yours truly with stones, a steel and a strop. Usually a knife I won't cry over if I lose. Always a knife I am not hesitant to use to pry some shite open or use as a chisel if necessary. And for the record, you really can't ruin a knife by sharpening it incorrectly. If you F up the angle you can always get it back. I have used angle grinders to repair broken knives.

I have been in knife fights and I have been stabbed. Take my word for it, the only way to win a knife fight is not to get in one. I do train and understand how to best utilize a blade " For me", but frankly a knife is always a last resort. If there is a pipe or an aluminum baseball bat handy I will go for it first every time.

I flew in to Florida from California could not have my knife on the plane so I ordered one delivered to my sister in law a cheaper spring assist one cheap but had to have one I will be here a month will leave it for her when we leave I am naked with out one

Well at the risk of offending some members I have to say that I think a lot of people get wrapped up in fancy steel, what the SEALS carry and so on. Now I'm not saying I don't have a few high end knives ( mostly autos and OTFs), but I almost never carry them. On any given day I have a beat down $50 auto that has a mediocre steel blade, lovingly sharpened by yours truly with stones, a steel and a strop. Usually a knife I won't cry over if I lose. Always a knife I am not hesitant to use to pry some shite open or use as a chisel if necessary. And for the record, you really can't ruin a knife by sharpening it incorrectly. If you F up the angle you can always get it back. I have used angle grinders to repair broken knives.

I have been in knife fights and I have been stabbed. Take my word for it, the only way to win a knife fight is not to get in one. I do train and understand how to best utilize a blade " For me", but frankly a knife is always a last resort. If there is a pipe or an aluminum baseball bat handy I will go for it first every time.
I have never been stabbed, but I have been hit in the head with a light steel tube. It nearly knocked me out, and left a scar 3 inches long. But it did not go well for my attacker, I stopped him with a $30 Buck folder, then I stood trial and I was acquitted. In my view, a Buck folder is an excellent defender, when things hit the fan.

1637165331941.jpeg

I have one of these and it’s very light, and I can drop into my pocket, or wear it on my belt.
And I can fight with it if I have to, so it’s as good of a knife as I will ever need.

Attachments

• 1637165247624.jpeg
    1637165247624.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
I have never been stabbed, but I have been hit in the head with a light steel tube. It nearly knocked me out, and left a scar 3 inches long. But it did not go well for my attacker, I stopped him with a $30 Buck folder, then I stood trial and I was acquitted. In my view, a Buck folder is an excellent defender, when things hit the fan.

View attachment 22205

I have one of these and it’s very light, and I can drop into my pocket, or wear it on my belt.
And I can fight with it if I have to, so it’s as good of a knife as I will ever need.
I have a very similar knife. It’s a Buck skinner. Gutted a lot of deer with it.

Your story notwithstanding, I’ll still take a baseball bat over a knife every time.

Back