testtest

Break down of the differences between all the Springfield 1911’s?

I think there are two different directions you can take on first 1911's. One is to get a cheap entry level one and shoot it to see if you like the platform. If you are bit by the bug, you are going to want to move up in quality and value. Or second, get a higher end gun from the outset. Your budget dictates. I always urge prospective buyers to consider resale value from the outset. Buy a cheap off-brand gun and your resale value is doodly. A better end gun from a reputable manufacturer, say a Colt Trophy, and it will retain trade or resale value. I was impressed with the SA TRP Operator but they stopped making that model. The Emissary is also in your price bracket but I have no experience with them. The ultimate 1911 in the SA line is the Professional but now you are double your price point.

If it's just a range toy, it doesn't matter so much. If you want to use it for self defense purposes, get the best you can afford.

If you have $1500 in the budget I’d look for a used TRP. Not too far from a new one really. Buy once and cry once…you won’t be disappointed in the gun. If you buy a cheap version you are rolling the dice on reliability. Some are fine, some aren’t…
If you buy new from Springfield their customer service is truly outstanding if you do have a problem.
Food for thought

If you have $1500 in the budget I’d look for a used TRP. Not too far from a new one really. Buy once and cry once…you won’t be disappointed in the gun. If you buy a cheap version you are rolling the dice on reliability. Some are fine, some aren’t…
If you buy new from Springfield their customer service is truly outstanding if you do have a problem.
Food for thought

Hopefully I don’t sound too dumb for asking

TRP?

Hopefully I don’t sound too dumb for asking

TRP?
Tactical Response Pistol (see description and corresponding link below). I have two. The 5" 45 acp, and the 6" 10mm. They are now discontinued (except California compliant version that can be ordered), or TRPs found on the used market.

"Springfield Armory® took the 1911, a gun that’s been around longer than penicillin and dialed up a modern, professional-grade weapon that has been the gold standard in production 1911s for over a decade — the legendary TRP™.
Our Tactical Response Pistols are inspired by the Custom Professional Model HRT 1911 developed by Springfield Armory for the FBI. Built for fierce reliability and suited for defense and combat applications all TRP models start with a select fit forged frame and slide. From that robust foundation each model is duly equipped and finished in exacting detail.
Widely regarded as the premier production 1911 in the world, the Springfield Armory TRP® is proudly crafted here in Geneseo Illinois and ready for a lifetime of service."

I'd be cautious when the word(s) "cheap" and/or low-budget are thrown around.

I know folks that only own/use Cabot 1911's and think everything less is cheap.

There are plenty of "economical" 1911's out there that run 100% and will do the self-defense job, like the RIA lines.

Disclosure: I have owned & used SA 1911's for decades, as well as RIA 1911's.

But there is a finish difference between "plain-jane" and "pretty" 1911's. My RIAs are in the former, and SA's in the latter categories, even though they both run 100%.

Plus, there are more expensive 1911's that look pretty but the manufacturers save costs by using MIM and/or polymer parts.

And there's no guarantee that a more expensive 1911 won't have a QC problem due to some factor. I've had high-end Colt Gold Cups that were rattle-traps, and have seen multi-thousand $$ 1911s choke on the firing line.

If you have the coin (i.e. $) to go high-end that's fine, but if you want to get your feet wet & be able to buy more ammo (practice, practice) then consider a economical line (i.e. RIA) and buy more ammo/mags/a decent holster & belt.

My .02

Tactical Response Pistol (see description and corresponding link below). I have two. The 5" 45 acp, and the 6" 10mm. They are now discontinued (except California compliant version that can be ordered), or TRPs found on the used market.

"Springfield Armory® took the 1911, a gun that’s been around longer than penicillin and dialed up a modern, professional-grade weapon that has been the gold standard in production 1911s for over a decade — the legendary TRP™.
Our Tactical Response Pistols are inspired by the Custom Professional Model HRT 1911 developed by Springfield Armory for the FBI. Built for fierce reliability and suited for defense and combat applications all TRP models start with a select fit forged frame and slide. From that robust foundation each model is duly equipped and finished in exacting detail.
Widely regarded as the premier production 1911 in the world, the Springfield Armory TRP® is proudly crafted here in Geneseo Illinois and ready for a lifetime of service."

Great guns …
3CAB3298-0218-41F1-A016-5EA4218DC9D9.jpeg

OP, if you're leaning toward a Springfield, I certainly won't try to talk you out of it. Excellent pistols. I own 4 SA 1911s myself. 😁
I was just trying to point out that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get your feet wet. RIA makes a good, reliable pistol at a decent price. Ain't nothing fancy, but you can get a nice one for about half your budget. ;)
And as Talyn pointed out, spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean a great pistol. At risk of being flamed, I won't own a Kimber 1911. They have a lot of very adamant fan bois who praise them to high heaven. But when I was shooting IDPA regularly, I saw more Kimbers choke on the firing line that any other 1911. JMHO, over rated and over priced. :rolleyes:

My most recent 1911 is one I built with middle-of-the road/plain-jane parts. Other than a "throat & polish" job on the barrel feed ramp from my gunsmith, and getting Novak to install a set of their well-known fixed sights, it runs 100% and I feel 110% comfortable in using it for self-defense.

It was an economical build for the fun-of-it.

OP, if you're leaning toward a Springfield, I certainly won't try to talk you out of it. Excellent pistols. I own 4 SA 1911s myself. 😁
I was just trying to point out that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get your feet wet. RIA makes a good, reliable pistol at a decent price. Ain't nothing fancy, but you can get a nice one for about half your budget. ;)
And as Talyn pointed out, spending a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean a great pistol. At risk of being flamed, I won't own a Kimber 1911. They have a lot of very adamant fan bois who praise them to high heaven. But when I was shooting IDPA regularly, I saw more Kimbers choke on the firing line that any other 1911. JMHO, over rated and over priced. :rolleyes:
Plus Kimber’s have that Swartz safety, which is a pain to disassemble and reassemble the gun if your not careful, wouldn’t be a good choice for a first time purchase

Plus Kimber’s have that Swartz safety, which is a pain to disassemble and reassemble the gun if your not careful, wouldn’t be a good choice for a first time purchase
i second that as well.

i have a Kimber Custom II, with the Swartz safety, but after field stripping several others, then getting "surprised" when i field stripped this one the first time, it was just a slower reassembly.

i'd still not sell the Kimber before i sell a Springfield, or Rock Island, or Tisas, or Charles Daly.....

l396IYmjzHKgQ7b7q.gif

Lots of good information above, no doubt. But to focus on your original question, you (the OP) need to identify which features you prefer. First, which type of sight do you prefer? Fiber optic front, tritium front, painted dot front, gold bead front? Rear sight blacked out, serrated black, dots, FO rods, adjustable? All the different models have different set-ups.

Also, one feature I absolutely require now in a 1911 is a textured front strap. Few SA 1911's have them (if any) at the "economy" price under $1500. Fortunately Talon Grips makes a $6 sticker you can apply yourself to provide front strap grip like I prefer.

Full-length guide rod or mil spec? I dislike full-length rods, although I readily admit the bull barrel look far exceeds the look of a mil spec rod barrel (normal bushing). However, the added steps of disassembly I find annoying. Many say a full-length guide rod makes a more accurate 1911, and that may be true, but not for me. I can't shoot that well anyway ;)

Trigger type? Short or long...both are out there. Textured trigger or smooth?

Does your specific hand type get hammer bite from a milspc grip with no (or small original design) beaver tail?

These are just a few things that you can learn you love or hate about any 1911. There are a million more.

Use the SA website to look at and compare all the features you want or don't want, and go from there. Then you'll find the one you want will take 9-12 months to get one from your LGS....(that was sarcasm). The hunt can be very satisfying.

I like the look of the Ronin, and it’s pretty much limited to a range toy not HD( magazine capacity).

If there’s a 5 or 6 inch barrel but I don’t think ones offered by Springfield.

Caliber I’m torn on want my wife and teenage son to like it, she’s shot my USP 45 before he’s only shot 22lr and 9mm.
Not sure I understand your read on the limitations of the Ronin. I have one with a 5" barrel. That's it top right. And I can insert a 10 round mag into it if needed. Just out of curiosity, what mag capacity do you think would work best for your Home Defense? I keep 8 rounds in mine. If I've got a problem larger than that, well, this isn't the forum for it. It serves me well.
45s1.jpeg

Jfal makes a valid point. First step is to decide what you want to use it for. Home defense, carry, range toy, formal target shooting, competition?
Next, determine what you want. Most people don't realize how adaptable the 1911 is. Barrel length? Flat or arched mainspring housing? Short, medium or long trigger? Beavertail or not? G.I. or full length guide rod? Grips? There are actually thousands of combinations. I suggest you go to gun shops and handle as many as you can to figure out what works for you.
My own 1911s have long triggers, arched mainspring housings and G.I. guide rods. That's what works for me. YMMV. ;)

Not sure I understand your read on the limitations of the Ronin. I have one with a 5" barrel. That's it top right. And I can insert a 10 round mag into it if needed. Just out of curiosity, what mag capacity do you think would work best for your Home Defense? I keep 8 rounds in mine. If I've got a problem larger than that, well, this isn't the forum for it. It serves me well. View attachment 42589

We just have other guns that fill that roll. There would be no practical purpose for this other than range trips. It could be a HD gun, but that’s not my chief purpose for it.

I like the look of the Ronin, and it’s pretty much limited to a range toy not HD( magazine capacity).

If there’s a 5 or 6 inch barrel but I don’t think ones offered by Springfield.

Caliber I’m torn on want my wife and teenage son to like it, she’s shot my USP 45 before he’s only shot 22lr and 9mm.

Why would you think a Ronin is limited to a range toy and not Home Defense? Magazine capacity? Are you expecting to get into a firefight, a siege or an army?
If you hit where you aim you shouldn't need a high capacity for HD. but you can't miss enough with extra ammo to make up for not hitting. I feel perfectly et ease with either my Ruger Speed Six .38 spl. (six shots) or my Ronin 9mm (9 shots)

The difference?

That's an easy to answer question. regardless of model, price or even brand, the difference is who is behind the gun operating it. All the money, name and bells and whistles cannot make a mediocre shooter a Master, In 1989, I earned my "M" card in USPSA shooting a Springfield Armory government model in 45ACP with all stock internals, 4.5lb trigger an S&A mag well, Millett adjustable sights, a bunch of Wilson 8 & 10-round mags and an Alamo Leather goods carry holster.

That's a fact.

Back