testtest

Came close...

Almost picked up a Saint Edge Rifle at a LGS today. It was a great deal. $1169, which is below MSRP. Had to hold off for now though, because I think if I showed up at home with it, my wife would use it to shoot me 😁. It's a beautiful gun though. In terms of AR style firearms, I currently only have the Saint Victor pistol and a 300 BLK upper with 8.5" barrel. I've been thinking lately about getting an actual rifle to complement them.

I do have a question or two about it for those of you who may have some knowledge. This rifle has a light weight, thin barrel. Would this barrel be prone to have some "whip" to it as it got hot, making for inaccurate groups? And not that it matters a whole lot, but would the Edge be considered a top tier rifle? How would it compare to a DD or Geissele or something of that category? Even if it's not "up there", for the price, it's VERY hard to pass up. Also keeping in mind, I'm not a competition shooter. Maybe some hunting with it and definitely target shooting and a SHTF gun.

I love my Edge, but the barrel would be susceptible to heat the more you shoot.

When I ran competition I never noticed it though. I think you would have to be shooting lots of bullets in a short amount of time to notice.

I do like the weapon as much as my DD. Not sure if it is as durable, though I never had any issues running the Edge in 3 gun.

Almost picked up a Saint Edge Rifle at a LGS today. It was a great deal. $1169, which is below MSRP. Had to hold off for now though, because I think if I showed up at home with it, my wife would use it to shoot me 😁. It's a beautiful gun though. In terms of AR style firearms, I currently only have the Saint Victor pistol and a 300 BLK upper with 8.5" barrel. I've been thinking lately about getting an actual rifle to complement them.

I do have a question or two about it for those of you who may have some knowledge. This rifle has a light weight, thin barrel. Would this barrel be prone to have some "whip" to it as it got hot, making for inaccurate groups? And not that it matters a whole lot, but would the Edge be considered a top tier rifle? How would it compare to a DD or Geissele or something of that category? Even if it's not "up there", for the price, it's VERY hard to pass up. Also keeping in mind, I'm not a competition shooter. Maybe some hunting with it and definitely target shooting and a SHTF gun.

Nice find though.

"Had to hold off for now though, because I think if I showed up at home with it, my wife would use it to shoot me 😁. " - Yup, Know the feeling on the wife part. :ROFLMAO:

Unfortunately, currently, Springfield's AR15s are not considered top-tier ARs by the cognoscenti.

For that price-tag, if what you're looking for is a duty/service-grade rifle, I would look to either SIONICS or SOLGW (Sons of Liberty Gun Works), and look at something that's a bit lower in model/features: to start with "good bones," so to speak.

For the vast majority of shooters, a lightweight profile barrel should not in and of itself cause any accuracy/precision issues even as the modern, lightweight handguard surrounding it has gotten too hot to hold (without some kind of heat-shielding paneling and/or gloves for the shooter). Similarly, unless the shooter engages in sufficient "mag dumps" in the form of destructive testing, even high-round-count classes or competitive shooting will not cause the barrel undue damage or shorten its operational life. Anecdotally, there are many competitive shooters and training-junkies who adore various lightweight profile barrels as it tends to make the gun feel significantly lighter in overall (remembering that the farther the weight is from the fulcrum -here, the main grip of the gun at the lower receiver- the heavier it feels) and subjectively "more lively."

One thing to remember here is that the typical duty/service-grade AR15, using duty/defensive ammo, isn't really a precision rifle.

The late, great, Pat Rogers suggests that, for all intents and purposes, the AR is a 4 MOA platform as a service/duty carbine, mechanically speaking:

^ Start at the approx. 2 minute mark. At the 5 minute point, he notes that for "out of the box from most of the good manufacturers," the gun's mechanical/intrinsic accuracy is about 2 MOA.

Larry Vickers looks for an approx. 2.5 MOA mechanical accuracy - Accuracy

But here's the kicker.

That's ammo-dependent.

And every unique gun - your XYZ model ABC AR versus my same XYZ model ABC versus the instructor's XYZ model ABC versus his father-in-law's XYZ model ABC versus Inbred Jo-Bob from the LGS's XYZ model ABC versus his cousin the SWAT team leader who used to be an honest-to-God SEAL's XYZ model ABC - each of these unique guns will take better/worse to any one particular make/model of ammo. This doesn't mean that you've got to pull out some crazy expensive "match grade" ammo If you want the top-shooter award at a training class. This just means that you should, with the gun that has the unique serial number that's on yours, vet out some ammo so that you know what your gun doesn't like, what your gun does OK with, and what your gun really performs well with: both in terms of function/reliability as well as downrange measures of accuracy and precision.

So like Pat said, you've got a 4 MOA mechanical platform paired with 4 MOA ammo and a shooter who's 16 MOA all-day-long. :lol: So, even on the best day, it's the broad side of a barn. ;)

Typically, though, as Pat Rogers noted, a 2 MOA rifle -out of the box- from a good manufacturer isn't uncommon at all, and this is actually with just range-quality ammo.

Last edited:
Back