testtest

Cars of our youth

The engine in my Comet was balanced and I had installed a 4 speed top loader trans and a 9" rear end with 4:11.1 gears. I power shifted gears at 7200 RPM. That was a fun ride.

In 1979 I traded the 73 mustang in on a F-150 4x4 with 1 300 straight 6 Cyl. and 4 speed truck transmission. I guess the police didn't like that truck because I didn't get to talk to any of them after buying the truck. :unsure: ;)

First car was my Grandpa's 1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe, straight 6, three on the column, oil bath filtration system. I swear you could have guests over for a party in the backseat which was literally like a small sofa. It became a pain to maintain and fewer people knew the ins-outs of fixing the thing. Then got a '57 Chev 210 with the venerable 283 V-8. Great car, but ended up selling it since I was going to many. While there owned a 1970 BMW 2800 and then a 1978 320i. The 320 was a fantastic car.

When I turned 16 and was old enough to drive, I drove 5 things:
1977 F250 Custom
1983 Z28 HO 5 speed
1986 Z28 IROC
1978 Cessna 152 and 1982 Cessna 172 RG

My parents were speed nuts and we collectively drove whatever was left in the garage. Dad went to work first and took what he wanted. Mom and I vied for the other and I drove that HS.
Got my pilots license same day as drivers license . Was driving the ‘77 Ford , dirtbikes and flying Cessnas since I was 14

View attachment 50587View attachment 50588View attachment 50589
Great photos

Got it. In fact, I have a 1/24 diecast model that's ALMOST your car exactly--it's SS50 and has a black interior and the Super Sport wheels.
Found that I have a pic of the thing on the puter. Does it look like your car? ;)

1705180418795.jpeg

I was stationed at North Bay, Ontario and my boyfriend at the time had a 75 GTO, just like the one here but green with a black interior. He let me drive it lots because we worked staggered shifts. That thing was a beast! Standard everything. Arm strong steering, no power brakes. I would step on the gas and the thing would literally leap forward. It was like riding a wild horse! I loved that car! He wouldn't let me keep it when we broke up though... :cry:

GTO.jpeg

I was stationed at North Bay, Ontario and my boyfriend at the time had a 75 GTO, just like the one here but green with a black interior. He let me drive it lots because we worked staggered shifts. That thing was a beast! Standard everything. Arm strong steering, no power brakes. I would step on the gas and the thing would literally leap forward. It was like riding a wild horse! I loved that car! He wouldn't let me keep it when we broke up though... :cry:

View attachment 50592
Nice looking "Goat"

First car was a non-running '52 Chevy Deluxe. 6cyl., 3 on the tree. Paid $10. Bought a '53 Chevy with a running motor and swapped it in. Paid $25 for the donor and junked it for $25. I was 15 at the time and sold it for $50. I was later told at a reunion that car sold for $350. I guess I'm not a wheeler dealer.

I traded the chevelle in on a 1973 Mercury Comet GT . It looked like this without the chin spoiler. After putting different heads , Edelbroke intake , and 780 Holley carb it ran pretty good. After that I bought a 73 Mach 1 Mustang with 351 C 4 BBL.

That should have been Edelbrock . LOL...
yeah well a few of us "wentbroke" working on our cars too.....

Last edited:
yeah well a few of us "wentbroke" working on our cars too.....
In the 80's I got into drag racing. I couldn't afford a lot of the really good parts. Was racing a '65 Mustand fast back with a 289. Ran in the Super Stock, SS/Q class. It seems almost every time I raced I broke something, clutches, rear end gears, transmissions, etc. Almost put me in the poor house, finally had to quit racing.

Only one I miss was my 66 Chevelle, white with red interior, straight six, single barrel carb, two speed Powerglide.
I was the third owner of it since it left the lot in 66.
All I have left of it is the original owners manual, complete with the metal plate insurance card on the back cover.

In the 80's I got into drag racing. I couldn't afford a lot of the really good parts. Was racing a '65 Mustand fast back with a 289. Ran in the Super Stock, SS/Q class. It seems almost every time I raced I broke something, clutches, rear end gears, transmissions, etc. Almost put me in the poor house, finally had to quit racing.
i didn't race myself, but a co-worker did. we blue printed an engine, if i recall a 427 chevy. had a machine shop do much of the hard stuff....i cannot recall all the details, this was back in the early 70's

assembled it, ran it at the proper cam break-in RPM's, and the beast ran great.

dumbass co worker pushed it a bit too hard...KA-BOOM

his engine, his money, my time.......

i prefered to rebuild engines to factory specs, for the regular working stiff.

My first car was 1969 Pontiac Tempest with an OHC straight 6 that looked like this one.

130990_Side_Profile_Web.JPG

The last real car of my youth was this 1971 Pontiac Lemans Sport that I made into a tribute to The Judge of the same year. I replaced the original 350 2 barrel, turbo 350 and 10 bolt rear end with a .30 over '71 Ram Air 455 H.O., turbo 400 and 12 bolt posi. I installed coil-over gas shocks and police pursuit package front and rear anti-roll bars, it handled the twists & turns really well... We had a lot of fun with that rag top.

IMG_6559.JPG

Last edited:
Back