testtest

Cars of our youth

My first car was a 1961 Mercury Comet. It had a 144 CID 6 CYL. with a 2 speed automatic. Then I bought a 1968 Chevelle with a 307 CID and 2 speed power glide. I put a 350 in it and gained MPG. This car taught me how to cuss because of drawing moisture in the dist. cap and plug wires.

I traded the chevelle in on a 1973 Mercury Comet GT . It looked like this without the chin spoiler. After putting different heads , Edelbroke intake , and 780 Holley carb it ran pretty good. After that I bought a 73 Mach 1 Mustang with 351 C 4 BBL.

View attachment 50586
For the gear heads , this is the video of car running down the strip. The ironic thing is , this car belonged to a guy in Northern Illinois.

My dream car was a 1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo, 5sp, 4 banger with chipped Turbo.

I raced a Pontiac Trans Am, 454 automatic once.
We were neck and neck to over 120 MPH.

This is what it looked like but mine had those black louvers on huge back window.
1985 Dodge Daytona Turbo.jpg

Well to be honest, my first car was something along the line of one of these.

View attachment 50623
yeah, and YOU try to buy one today, even if it is all rusted and missing parts, as cheap as your parents bought you yours when it was brand new..!!!!!!!

those little suckers are high valued toys, and actually collectables. i'd not let my grand kids play with one, if i spent nearly 2 grand or more..for a fully restored one.....!!!!

1705244377309.png

Last edited:
1968 , Discharged from the Marines with $300 back pay. Started as apprentice plumber in Chicago. Bought a 56 Plymouth for $300.00.Was makin $2.50 an hour. V8 with that push button drive. Must have been a tough car. I used to sit at the stop light and rev the motor.to about 4000 rpm.the light turned green & I pressed the "D" button. Off we went. cheap thrills

1968 , Discharged from the Marines with $300 back pay. Started as apprentice plumber in Chicago. Bought a 56 Plymouth for $300.00.Was makin $2.50 an hour. V8 with that push button drive. Must have been a tough car. I used to sit at the stop light and rev the motor.to about 4000 rpm.the light turned green & I pressed the "D" button. Off we went. cheap thrills
My dad had a push button fury, not sure how long he had it?

Back