testtest

Choosing a handgun, rifle or shotgun for defense.

I use a handgun. want to get a shockwave for my girlfriend to use better for her. I was thinking about switching to the Saint PDW.( when I win it ) LOL

I have a shockwave pistol. IMO it has it's place as a back-up based on that shottys have a short-range, slow reload speed and ammo is heavy. AR pistols have more utility although due to their short barrels they lose effectiveness at longer ranges compared to a conventional AR rifle.

Again each has it's pluses and minuses, and one needs to figure out what works in their own situations.

My .02

Because of her vision issue just make sure she can differentiate between a good & bad guy.
yes. the only time she would have to do this is if I'm not around. She is to stay in a safe place while I go out to c what is going on. She is to let them know she has a gun, if they enter the room she is in us a flashlight to c who it is and blind them if they are not too be there then shoot.

All depends on what kind of defense? If it's home defense see post #94 in the thread titled
What is the best home defense weapon by KLGunner.
If it's self defense as in concealed carry, I choose the XDm 5.25 in the .40 Cal.

The referenced article involves home defense. Post #94 is your personal preference which is fine. But the topic involves the various perspectives of the three platforms.

Last edited:
yes. the only time she would have to do this is if I'm not around. She is to stay in a safe place while I go out to c what is going on. She is to let them know she has a gun, if they enter the room she is in us a flashlight to c who it is and blind them if they are not too be there then shoot.

One tip in case is consider getting some of those high-intensity (15-minute) light sticks. Activate them and toss into a room/hallway to illuminate the threat area whereas your girlfriend stays undetected. The light would highlight the perp if he/she/it continues further towards your girlfriend's position.

The light sticks can also deter a perp from proceeding further since the perp would know that the home defender is aware of a threat.

My .02

What's wrong with using your EDC weapon as your home defense weapon also? It seems like every time one of these discussions of home defense weapons comes up very few mention using their EDC weapon for home defense. It's always an AR type, or shotgun, or some large handgun and then the resulting discussion turns to, over penetration, threat to family members, neighbors and surrounding area and, rightly so. I would think that if you have enough confidence in your EDC when you are away from home, then it should be just as adequate for defense when you are home.

As a side note: Why is it over penetration, threat to neighbors, etc, never seems to be a concern with EDC scenarious outside the home?

Home defense is purely on what area of the house I am in at the time.

downstairs front... prob heavy hitters as Im near the Long guns

upstairs..a pistol, as I have some in concealed places if I am in the office, etc..

bedroom.. pistol

Back