testtest

Cleaning rods

For pistols I use a Hoppes one-piece Elite carbon fiber rod. It has ball bearings in the base of the handle that allows the rod to rotate extremely smoothly. For my ARs I use a Tipton carbon fiber rod and I clean from the chamber with a brush and jags. I use one of the Real Avid vice blocks that inserts into the mag well. It makes cleaning ARs easy.

Although I have two kits of rods that thread together to make different lengths I’ve been using a vinyl coated cable to clean my M1A I only use nylon brushes and soft brass connectors to avoid scratching the barrel bore and clean from the chamber to the muzzle, basically cleaning in the direction of bullet travel. This is after I use the M1A ratchet brush on the chamber. I’ve had success with this method so I stick with what works.

Although I have two kits of rods that thread together to make different lengths I’ve been using a vinyl coated cable to clean my M1A I only use nylon brushes and soft brass connectors to avoid scratching the barrel bore and clean from the chamber to the muzzle, basically cleaning in the direction of bullet travel. This is after I use the M1A ratchet brush on the chamber. I’ve had success with this method so I stick with what works.
I am also a big fan of the Otis system of vinyl coated cables and brass attachments. They work well for me in both my pistols and my rifles. I also like their patch system which forms a cone to get all parts of the barrel touched in one pass. They have one kit which is the size of a baseball that has all you need to clean an AR15/M16 in the field. It is my understanding that this is the kit the Army issues to the troops.

How many of you clean your bolt action rifles and ARs from the chamber end using the bore brush and patch?
Always from the chamber to the muzzle for me, obviously direction of bullet travel.
Since I don’t disassemble
“remove action from the stock” on my M1A every time I clean it it’s more difficult but worth the effort.
Never tried bore snakes, I prefer vinyl coated cables and nylon brushes.

For my Rifles I have a single piece fiberglass rod, for my pistols a brass single piece rod.

I read the edge of the segmented rods create the perfect ridge to damage the bore, for that reason multi-segmented cleaning rods are not as good a single piece rod. Running my finger down a multi-segmented rod, I see their point, even good multi-segmented rods, that feel smooth between the segments, you can find a sharp edge here and there....

Yes, the cleaning rod bowing from the pressure can scrape the bore, and the greater the diameter of the rod, the stiffer it should be.... ...but I also don't want to carry multiple cleaning rods... ...and I have a .22 pistol and 5.56 AR, so my cleaning rods can fit a .22, thus a single piece fiberglass rod (with smooth sides) and for pistols a single piece cleaning rod, since its short enough bowing is not a concern, its cheap brass...

I use one piece rods of unknown construction that have swivel handles. I use the slotted tip to wet the bore, then jags to clean up. Direction depends on the gun and whether the bolt is still in the gun. A bore guide is always used. Handguns have their own one piece rod with swivel handle. Bore snakes are for my shotguns, but I find brushes and brushes with patches clean better and easier. The spiral "tornado" brush is handy with stubborn wad residue.
My only regret is not getting a short enough rod. Most of my long guns have 20 inch or so barrels and my rods were clearly for longer guns.

I always start from the chamber, i use several different types of rods. I built this AR cleaning station and two wheeler stands. unscrew the knobs a little and can go from 15 platform to 10 platform in short order. Made the front muzzle rest adjustable but so far haven't needed to move it. put the vice cleaning for the PCC's and the Vice block for the AK's on it. It hangs up out of my way when not in use.
SANY4221.JPG

SANY4233.JPG
SANY4234.JPG
SANY4236.JPG
SANY4237.JPG
SANY4215.JPG
SANY4216 (1).JPG
SANY4218.JPG
SANY4219 (1).JPG
SANY4220.JPG

Back