testtest

Cold Weather

So I went to shoot today, in 5°F with wind. My son is home from the Marine Corps and he has Glock 19 he keeps with me since California won't let him have it, so with limited opportunities to shoot his G19, we decided to try to brave the cold.

This time I brought the firearms inside and had them warmed up before we went out.
My SA XD-M Elite OSP 10mm shot fine, even though I have a few drops of oil in the striker, haven't cleaned it out yet.
Also shot my two 80% Frame 1911 projects. My 2nd one has a very tight slide, but only a few minutes of being exposed 5°F had the slide sticking.
When you load a magazine and drop the slide and it looks like it is moving in slow motion, you know things aren't going to go well. The slide kept short stroking. I'll guess I'll just have to shoot the snot out of this spring and loosen up that slide some....

So I went to shoot today, in 5°F with wind. My son is home from the Marine Corps and he has Glock 19 he keeps with me since California won't let him have it, so with limited opportunities to shoot his G19, we decided to try to brave the cold.

This time I brought the firearms inside and had them warmed up before we went out.
My SA XD-M Elite OSP 10mm shot fine, even though I have a few drops of oil in the striker, haven't cleaned it out yet.
Also shot my two 80% Frame 1911 projects. My 2nd one has a very tight slide, but only a few minutes of being exposed 5°F had the slide sticking.
When you load a magazine and drop the slide and it looks like it is moving in slow motion, you know things aren't going to go well. The slide kept short stroking. I'll guess I'll just have to shoot the snot out of this spring and loosen up that slide some....
Never oil the striker or it’s channel, that has to be dry, on any polymer gun, it will gum up and not work like it’s meant to, the owners manual will also state this

Thank you.

Quote:

Hunting Invasive Species Rules​

Similar to all nonnative reptile species, the green iguanas in the sunshine state are not protected except by anti-cruelty law. Locals and visitors are allowed to humanely kill green iguanas year-round without a hunting license or permit on 25 public areas in South Florida. In addition, you are allowed to kill iguanas on private property with permission from the land or homeowners.
Although the local Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission states that people can kill green iguanas year-round, they shouldn’t go around shooting these animals randomly or haphazardly. Instead, it’s best to seek assistance from professional guides who do this for a living.

Quote:
Hunting on Private Land: Nonnative reptiles like Burmese pythons can be humanely killed on private lands at any time with landowner permission - no permit required- and the FWC encourages people to capture and humanely kill pythons from private lands whenever possible. There is no bag limit.

1671980685390.gif

Do you have a hog problem in KY?

We do not have hog problems in the Keys, but we have Iguana problems!

If you would have asked me, I would have explained it to you.
1671982003156.gif

Last edited:
Never oil the striker or it’s channel, that has to be dry, on any polymer gun, it will gum up and not work like it’s meant to, the owners manual will also state this

On Pg 56 of the Springfield Armory XD-M Owner's Manual, under the Care and Cleaning Section....
Only a very small amount of oil is needed to adequately lubricate moving parts and prevent rust. Accumulation of oil tends to attract dust and dirt which interferes with the safe and reliable functioning of firearm. DO NOT APPLY EXCESS LUBRICATING OIL. DO NOT APPLY OIL OR GREASE TO STRIKER.

When I was an Instructor Pilot, I used to tell students to go back through the NATOPS (a.k.a. the Manual) periodically, there are things you miss or don't understand, that once you gain some experience you'll understand or catch what you missed earlier...

I should have followed my own advise, I have been oiling my strikers. I've been oil my firing pins on my hammer fired pistols as well. It just seemed common sense to me, that could use lubrication as well....

I have a cleaning spray gun I fill with denatured alcohol, I plan to spray it down the opening in the breech for the firing pin and let it drain out of the other end, that should degrease it and dry it out.

On Pg 56 of the Springfield Armory XD-M Owner's Manual, under the Care and Cleaning Section....

When I was an Instructor Pilot, I used to tell students to go back through the NATOPS (a.k.a. the Manual) periodically, there are things you miss or don't understand, that once you gain some experience you'll understand or catch what you missed earlier...

I should have followed my own advise, I have been oiling my strikers. I've been oil my firing pins on my hammer fired pistols as well. It just seemed common sense to me, that could use lubrication as well....

I have a cleaning spray gun I fill with denatured alcohol, I plan to spray it down the opening in the breech for the firing pin and let it drain out of the other end, that should degrease it and dry it out.
On Glocks, dry, clean but no lube, when you do just wipe down the firing pins on 1911’s with a slightly oiled patch, nothing excessive, just saying

IME DNA ( I have S tons of it) is great for drying things out, but not very good for cleaning. It's ok for cleaning if you can get to the part and wipe it down, but as for a simply spray and degrease you will be much better off with Brake Clean.

However I would avoid getting Brake Clean on polymer.

IME DNA ( I have S tons of it) is great for drying things out, but not very good for cleaning. It's ok for cleaning if you can get to the part and wipe it down, but as for a simply spray and degrease you will be much better off with Brake Clean.

Oh yea, saw the older Gun Scrubber eat an S&W Sigma frame when I was still at my sheriffs dept……

Pushing +30 now but the high pressure inversions are keeping the remnant cold air in the valleys, so we're waiting for the next weather to come in from the coast to scour the valleys out on Tuesday-Thursday with some precipitation & temps into the high 30's & low 40's. But then we cool back down again.

There is Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner that is suppose to be corrosive free, but still, I don't risk it, perhaps on pure metal and only the non-chlorinated variety.

I have tested Denatured Alcohol on Polymer and used it several times since then, its safe for polymer....
Denatured Alcohol, by definition has to have a chemical added to it that creates a horrible taste to prevent people from drinking it.... ....the stuff I has says it has a mild solvent added to it... ....so it might be possible some denatured alcohols might have something added to it that would be bad for polymer, so do a test before slather it all over if you decide to try it...

Sure, there may be better degreasers, but Denatured Alcohol seems to work great and very little risk of damage..

Denatured alcohol will evaporate off polymer spotlessly, but parkerizing and some PVD finishes it will dry them out so bad it will highlight even the slightest trace of left behind dirt or make a cloudy appearance in the Parkerizing. But, just a quick rub down with oil restores the finish to exactly what it should be...

Simple Green is a good degreaser and carbon lifter, but it contains water and is bad for aluminum if lays on the surface... ...it also is safe on polymer, but if I use it on metal I "Believe" the safest way to do that is flush the simple green away after scrubbing, that is where I got the denatured alcohol...

Usually between shootings I'm just ragging out/wiping down the parts, doing the bore brush and patches with bore solvent and then run an oil patch through the bore and then re-lube the pistol... ...just have to stop lubing the striker...

There is Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner that is suppose to be corrosive free, but still, I don't risk it, perhaps on pure metal and only the non-chlorinated variety.

I have tested Denatured Alcohol on Polymer and used it several times since then, its safe for polymer....
Denatured Alcohol, by definition has to have a chemical added to it that creates a horrible taste to prevent people from drinking it.... ....the stuff I has says it has a mild solvent added to it... ....so it might be possible some denatured alcohols might have something added to it that would be bad for polymer, so do a test before slather it all over if you decide to try it...

Sure, there may be better degreasers, but Denatured Alcohol seems to work great and very little risk of damage..

Denatured alcohol will evaporate off polymer spotlessly, but parkerizing and some PVD finishes it will dry them out so bad it will highlight even the slightest trace of left behind dirt or make a cloudy appearance in the Parkerizing. But, just a quick rub down with oil restores the finish to exactly what it should be...

Simple Green is a good degreaser and carbon lifter, but it contains water and is bad for aluminum if lays on the surface... ...it also is safe on polymer, but if I use it on metal I "Believe" the safest way to do that is flush the simple green away after scrubbing, that is where I got the denatured alcohol...

Usually between shootings I'm just ragging out/wiping down the parts, doing the bore brush and patches with bore solvent and then run an oil patch through the bore and then re-lube the pistol... ...just have to stop lubing the striker...

I use DNA on polymer guns all the time. I have unfettered access to cans of saturated DNA wipes. I use them at work to clean poly gas pipe before butt fusing or electro fusing pipe together. Their ability to clean with wiping is limited and their ability to clean without wiping is even more limited. I mean it works ok on regular dirt and whatever kind of grime you might have on the frame of your striker fired pistol. Other than it evaporating very quickly though I think it's use as a spray and done cleaning agent on barrels or in actions is extremely inadequate, although if done often enough in the striker channel it might be effective.

As for Brake Clean, I would never use it on anything other than steel.

Back