testtest

Cold Weather

A month ago I visited family during a cold snap in Pennsylvania. It was 20°F and I left my firearms locked in my car, so they cold soaked more than 24 hours at below freezing temperatures....

My XD-M Elite OSP 9mm refused to fire, 6 rounds, ejected each and not a single mark on the primer of each.
My 1911's and Rugger .22lr all fired in the cold.

So only the Striker pistol exposed to those conditions failed to fire in the cold, all the others were Hammer pistols. Days later when it had been warmed up and at room temp it fired with no issues.

And, my tendency to use grease and heavier oils when cleaning and lubing my pistols is probably behind this. A quick check of several of the lubes I use, are recommended for temps above 40°F.

Although I used a lighter 10°F oil on the striker, the rest of the pistol is wet with thicker oils that probably mix and work their way into the striker. Most likely the oil thickened in the cold enough it was resisting the striker and slowing it down enough that it did not have the momentum to travel forward enough to hit the primer.

I'm about to leave for a XMAS visit and have cleaned and lubed my pistols with a lighter 10°F oil over the entire pistol. But the weather reports now says the weather is going to be 3°F, so I'll let you know.... ...I'll be shooting my new XD-M Elite OSP 10mm, leaving the 9mm behind this time....

A month ago I visited family during a cold snap in Pennsylvania. It was 20°F and I left my firearms locked in my car, so they cold soaked more than 24 hours at below freezing temperatures....

My XD-M Elite OSP 9mm refused to fire, 6 rounds, ejected each and not a single mark on the primer of each.
My 1911's and Rugger .22lr all fired in the cold.

So only the Striker pistol exposed to those conditions failed to fire in the cold, all the others were Hammer pistols. Days later when it had been warmed up and at room temp it fired with no issues.

And, my tendency to use grease and heavier oils when cleaning and lubing my pistols is probably behind this. A quick check of several of the lubes I use, are recommended for temps above 40°F.

Although I used a lighter 10°F oil on the striker, the rest of the pistol is wet with thicker oils that probably mix and work their way into the striker. Most likely the oil thickened in the cold enough it was resisting the striker and slowing it down enough that it did not have the momentum to travel forward enough to hit the primer.

I'm about to leave for a XMAS visit and have cleaned and lubed my pistols with a lighter 10°F oil over the entire pistol. But the weather reports now says the weather is going to be 3°F, so I'll let you know.... ...I'll be shooting my new XD-M Elite OSP 10mm, leaving the 9mm behind this time....

Despite manufacturers instructions and years of proselytizing by me and many others, people still insist on way over oiling their striker fired guns. Every manufacturer recommends NO OIL OR SOLVENTS in or near the striker channel. Most have about 5 lube points, each of which require a single drop of oil.

Literally every striker gun I have has been ran in classes in sub freezing temps with zero issues.

I need to go back and review my OM, I have been putting a drop or two of lube into the striker itself, to seep into the bearing surface....

Having pulled an XD-M Striker, it appears to have a coating, likely an anti-friction coating, as well as shaped to run on bearing ridges and not the entire bore, to reduce friction.... ...so yes, now that you mention it, it does appear to be designed to run dry and not overly oiled...

I need to go back and review my OM, I have been putting a drop or two of lube into the striker itself, to seep into the bearing surface....

Having pulled an XD-M Striker, it appears to have a coating, likely an anti-friction coating, as well as shaped to run on bearing ridges and not the entire bore, to reduce friction.... ...so yes, now that you mention it, it does appear to be designed to run dry and not overly oiled...
Oil attracts dirt. Dirt causes light primer strikes. I tell people that insist on lubing the striker they need to regularly take out the striker assembly and clean it as a part of routine field strip cleaning and maintenance.

I have never seen a manual for a striker fired gun that didn't specifically mention NOT lubing the striker or allowing solvents or anything in the striker channel. And like I said, there are usually 5-6 spots where lube is necessary and the definition of lube here is a single drop. Where metal rubs on metal. Rails, sears, barrel hood, etc.

Oil attracts dirt. Dirt causes light primer strikes. I tell people that insist on lubing the striker they need to regularly take out the striker assembly and clean it as a part of routine field strip cleaning and maintenance.

I have never seen a manual for a striker fired gun that didn't specifically mention NOT lubing the striker or allowing solvents or anything in the striker channel. And like I said, there are usually 5-6 spots where lube is necessary and the definition of lube here is a single drop. Where metal rubs on metal. Rails, sears, barrel hood, etc.
Yep no oil in the striker or firing pin channel. When detail cleaning I use Gunscrubber to de-grease any residue left from solvents.

TW25 is a military grease formulated to not freeze

Its -3 with wind chill here in N TX, but we have it good. Warm house and place to relax.

God Bless those who dont this week.
For they have neither, and for many they have no home to go back to as its been bombed.

7DF44C96-28EA-48C9-8420-9972D2A351B9.jpeg

Thats why you are having problems, you should NEVER, I repeat Never lube a striker.

Back