testtest

Concealed Carry in a Fanny Pack — Good CCW Idea or Not?

Good way to advertise you’re carrying.
I'm a firm believer that most people go through life barely aware that there's a person in front of them, so they would take no notice of how that person is dressed. You can recognize the few who are aware of their surroundings, and they are probably carrying too ("hello, brother"). And LEOs assume that everyone is armed anyway. So the people who suspect I'm carrying are my allies and the rest are clueless.

For me in a word……..
NO
Fumbling with a zipper and even Velcro is not something I want to do if I need my firearm to protect myself, significant other or others.

Also for me…….
If I can’t carry in a holster on my belt and go someplace then I evaluate wether I really need to go there.

And honestly I’m not going to comment on the over 50 reference made in another post.
This is me, kind of. I have almost stopped wearing shorts in public (for which the public probably is thankful, anyway). Pants, belt, IWB holster - this ensures I'm carrying my EDC whenever I leave the house. I just don't think I could do a fanny pack (waist bag... whatever :rolleyes:), although I have a nephew who started using one and has become an enthusiastic proponent - and he's a pretty hard core gun guy.

And thank you for marking the unnecessary comment on "over 50." To @PacNWvike I say:

Hawkeye rasberry.gif

😁

Possible problems with opening zippers might plague us lefties...
I'm a fellow lefty. When I buy firearm accessories I look to see if it will for my left handedness.

When I carried 1911s I learned to adapt to the safety lever on the left side.

As far as fanny packs most of the ones I use, have dual zippers so they can be opened with either hand. Quality of zippers is an important factor in fanny packs in my humble opinion.

It's a silly idea. It was silly 35 years ago and it remains silly.

It's slow, it's cumbersome, and it looks foolish. If you need a means of carrying in athletic shorts or sweats, a belly band is a better option.

Full disclosure: I carried in a fanny pack for a brief period in 1997. I had surgery on my right elbow and a fanny pack was the only holster I had available for left hand carry that fit my EDC.

When going beltless, I'll use either a belly band or my edc holster with an UltiClip.

But - IMHO - if a fanny pack is your thing, the absence of trigger guard protection might lead you to consider an appropriate model of the 1911 (as it's designed to be carried very safely in Condition 1) rather than a weapon whose safe handling would require removing a round from the chamber.

It's a silly idea. It was silly 35 years ago and it remains silly.

It's slow, it's cumbersome, and it looks foolish. If you need a means of carrying in athletic shorts or sweats, a belly band is a better option.

Full disclosure: I carried in a fanny pack for a brief period in 1997. I had surgery on my right elbow and a fanny pack was the only holster I had available for left hand carry that fit my EDC.
I disagree. I wear a fanny pack across my chest(I have 2 different ones but only wear 1 at a time..:)). My Carhartt fanny pack worn across my chest gives me easy access to my firearm(Glock G19 or S&W 638 Bodyguard).

They doesn't draw much attention down near the border because lots of people wear them around the front of their chest which makes it harder for them to be pick pocketed when they're out shopping.

I use an electric bicycle to run errands and a fanny pack across my chest is more comfortable than a fanny pack on my waist.

I have a chest pack that I also sometimes wear. In addition to a firearm(and dog pepper spray) I carry a steel water flask which keeps the water cooler than a camelbak.

But the Carhartt fanny pack and a similar sized pack are what I carry almost daily when I'm out and about. They're not black or green or have any flag or gun emblems on them.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Concealed Carry in a Fanny Pack — Good CCW Idea or Not?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/concealed-carry-fanny-pack/.

For me, it would have to be easy open (100% of the time) and securely hold a kydex holster inside (via velcro and/or ulticlip). IMHO if the trigger guard isn't covered, it's potentially unsafe for the carrier and others.

Now, where did I leave those darn Birkenstocks? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Honestly, I have re-thought the fanny pack carry. I think I’m going to try it out. I like wearing gym shorts a lot and really sick of using pockets for my stuff. Not to mention I have yet to find a great way to carry in athletic shorts and the Fanny pack would likely solve my problems. Call
Me a fan of the Fanny

I'm a firm believer that most people go through life barely aware that there's a person in front of them, so they would take no notice of how that person is dressed. You can recognize the few who are aware of their surroundings, and they are probably carrying too ("hello, brother"). And LEOs assume that everyone is armed anyway. So the people who suspect I'm carrying are my allies and the rest are clueless.
Thinking like that's a really good way to have some gang banger bust you over the head and take your gun.

Tried one long ago but wasn't too "concealed" enough for my liking... about 15 years ago or so I ran into this "Thunderwear"; loved it so much I'm on my 3rd, they last a long time, but Velcro gets weak over time... always wear it. Great for gym, exercise or around house clothing. Wearing shorts and a T and no one knows I'm armed, just how I like it.

View attachment 40847
I have been wearing something kind of like that. it's called a smart carry holster

Well clearly he's open carrying his guns
I dunno about that. Read Hal's last sentence again. If he carried open, no one would have to 'suspect' anything - it would be right there in their faces.
I'm not a proponent of off-body carry but I AM a proponent of choices. So long as your chosen method of carry assures that you will indeed carry - it's a player. BUT - whatever your chosen method is - practice, practice and then practice summore! Off-body, belly bands and ankle holsters require even MORE practice, yet, and especially including cold, first shot drills. A 2-second draw/fire capability may NOT assure your safe return home.

How so? Just curious on what I may have missed in Hal's post.
Unless I completely misunderstood what he said, he's saying that only cops and like-minded individuals who he considers to be allies would notice that he was carrying a firearm.

That's not true.

as in all things, there's a spectrum but not every criminal is an idiot (I mean, by definition they are but...) some of them are very good at picking up tells.

I've had a couple cops tell me about experiences that they've had where the criminal noticed something is basic as a handcuff key on their key ring.

So to assume that the criminals don't notice that you're armed or don't know what to look for or how to tell if somebody's carrying a gun or not is foolish and it's a really good way to get your ass beat your gun taken

Back