testtest

Concealed Carry in a Fanny Pack — Good CCW Idea or Not?

I dunno about that. Read Hal's last sentence again. If he carried open, no one would have to 'suspect' anything - it would be right there in their faces.
I'm not a proponent of off-body carry but I AM a proponent of choices. So long as your chosen method of carry assures that you will indeed carry - it's a player. BUT - whatever your chosen method is - practice, practice and then practice summore! Off-body, belly bands and ankle holsters require even MORE practice, yet, and especially including cold, first shot drills. A 2-second draw/fire capability may NOT assure your safe return home.
Go back and look at the post that I was replying to, context is important.

If carrying this way you'd better be hyper-aware of your surroundings due to the much slower draw.
True, but you need to train with using your Fanny pack, can’t just think, hey yea, I can get my gun out fast enough if a situation occurs, lots of people think like this I’m sure, I train with mine on a regular basis to make sure I am proficient with my draw.

Unless I completely misunderstood what he said, he's saying that only cops and like-minded individuals who he considers to be allies would notice that he was carrying a firearm.

That's not true.

as in all things, there's a spectrum but not every criminal is an idiot (I mean, by definition they are but...) some of them are very good at picking up tells.

I've had a couple cops tell me about experiences that they've had where the criminal noticed something is basic as a handcuff key on their key ring.

So to assume that the criminals don't notice that you're armed or don't know what to look for or how to tell if somebody's carrying a gun or not is foolish and it's a really good way to get your ass beat your gun taken
Good points, indeed, but it doesn't seem like that those cuff keys were in the LEO's pocket, but rather owb, instead. I do agree with you, though, on how advertising that you carry - either thru owb or sloppy printing iwb - could backfire.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Concealed Carry in a Fanny Pack — Good CCW Idea or Not?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/concealed-carry-fanny-pack/.

I know there are supporters of fanny packs (waist bags, etc.) out there and if that's something folks want to do, then rock on. However, I struggle to see how it is a secure and useful way to carry and deploy a defensive firearm. I think others have noted here that if it's between having a firearm on you or not having one at all (because you can't wear a holster with specific wardrobe items, etc.) then one is better than none. However, I've seen many positive reviews of the Phlster Enigma carry system. I haven't tried it yet, but others swear by it. If you watch the video on the landing page, it is definitely effective for concealed carry, and it uncouples the holster from the clothes so that you can wear practically anything and still utilize a secure kydex holster. It doesn't have the capacity for all the other doo-dads one might stuff in a fanny pack, but if we're talking pure need to carry when a traditional belt-mount holster won't work, it could be an option.

Well, its better than nothing but a fanny pack screams "gun" to darn near everybody. The people who is does not scream "gun" to, are people who you would never have the occasion to be concerned about to begin with. Fanny packs simply put you on the radar of a whole segment of society who otherwise would not have taken note of you. If you are projecting to a potential attacker that you are armed, where and by what means... thats a whole lot of free information that can be exploited.

Well update, I did not order the hill people gear Fanny pack just yet. But I did order the frtkk. It comes in at end of week. Going to install one of my kydex holsters into it, might take come creativity. But that way the gun can sit vertically, which based on dimensions should
Work with a p365. Then will order some large loops for zippers and practice drawing of course. We shall see, if I dig the set up and use it, I will buy the hill people gear pack. More updates to come.

Okay well keeping this thread going but I did promise updates. Fanny pack is in, and I got it set up. I did not like the design of the FRTKK holster system. It was a pita to get gun in there and honestly didn’t trust it. The draw sucked as well so modifications were made. I took an owb kydex Holster and some sticky velcro and poof problem solved.

Also now I realized this would be a great way to carry to the lake or hiking when I know I’m jumping in or the river with my kids. Just need to order a waterproof Fanny pack now. The draw when practiced was quick actually and it has a decent rip cord. Plus it’s easy to pack and extra mag or two as well as misc stuff.

E07367DA-ABCF-4CAE-8772-36CC0A3C02E2.jpeg
B22A7ED7-FF4D-43D6-8BDC-526E16E5D20B.jpeg

Here is an interesting tidbit. In Illinois it is apparently legal for out of state residents and for Illinois residents who have a FOID Card to use a two closeable compartment fanny pack to carry an unloaded pistol in one compartment and the loaded magazine in another without the benefit of a concealed carry permit.

My wife did this for years until Illinois was forced to issue carry permits to civilians.

Not for me, nor am I carrying a man purse, messenger bags, belt pouch, sneaky Pete holsters or the like. On the other hand, I say whatever gets you thought the night and lifts your skirt have at it. As for screaming gun shoot me first... COW PIES. Doesn't say gun any more than 511 cargo pants, vests, paracord bracelets, pocket clip knives, etc. etc. etc. and they don't say gun either. Most people got their head stuck so far up their ...ah...phone, staying connected 24/7/365 that unless your dancing naked with a pink elephant and a brass band, they didn't see "nutin." As for criminals targeting you, put your mind at ease. Criminals are not all Professor James Moriarty; (although most think they are) the vast majority are self-absorbed in what they want/need/are doing to pay attention to anything but themselves. Always remember dumb criminals go to jail and smart criminals get elected to public office. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This was a great article. I used to carry in a fanny pack. In fact it may be somewhere in the house but I liked the video and his points. I am 64 years old and female and, for me, this would be an easier way to carry and get to my pistol quickly. I have not been carrying the last number of years because I am normally surrounded by the hubby and son or someone who is carrying. I have carpel tunnel syndrome and hip bursitis but being able to have the fanny pack would be much better for me and I can carry the pack crossbody rather than around my waist I believe. I hadn't thought about the fanny pack until I saw this article. He has some great points but for me I would be faster with the fanny pack rather trying to get the weapon off my waist for a variety of reasons. I am going to have to find the right one and practice, practice, practice. As an aside we received The Armory Life just yesterday in our mailbox-we believe it is a gift from someone and I already like it better than the NRA's magazines. Thanks!

I use a chest pack or fanny pack(across my chest) pretty often because I have 12 screws in my neck from Neck Micro Fracture surgery and carrying almost any handgun on my hip is not comfortable. I am learning that carrying my Glock 19 Gen 5 in Appendix carry in a Bravo Concealment inside the pants holster is pretty comfortable.

I like riding my electric bicycle and a chest pack or fanny pack across my chest covered by a reflective vest allows me to carry pretty much whichever firearm I'm carrying that day. I also carry pepper spray for the aggressive stray dogs I sometimes encounter on rural rides.

There is no argument that drawing from a fanny pack or chest pack is slower than drawing from the hip. I'm in a different boat than most concealed handgun carriers as my 2nd option(if verbal de-escalation does not work) is a knife. I've been involved in martial arts training especially the Filipino Martial Arts for over 35 years.

I can draw a knife faster and quieter than most people can deploy their firearm. I have martial arts students who are Law Enforcement officers from different levels, local, state, and federal. We have done scenario training with knives and unloaded firearms.

I'm pretty familiar with the most common ways concealed handgun people carry. What some concealed handgun carriers don't realize is that a knife can be deployed so quickly from more parts in the body that a handgun can. For example a small neck knife can be used to cut your gun hand and allow the knife carrier to then cut the Carotid, Brachial and other vital points.

We train in Escrima to "De-fang the snake" attack the weapon which on my most people is their hands.

The point I'm trying to make is that carrying a firearm in a chest pack or fanny pack is slower but that can be offset by other factors. In my case it's a knife that's always on me that I can deploy with either hand, even if I'm on the ground. Additionally I also have empty hand techniques to compliment the knife and firearm techniques.

Over the years I've known firearm people who think their firearm is the only self-defense tool they need. My experience as a martial arts instructor, bouncer, bodyguard, mental health associate, shows different.

Your firearm should be the last resort, so spend equal time on verbal judo, basic empty hand techniques that help you create distance to escape or God forbid give you space to safely and accurately use your firearm.

One final note, I also train in firearm retention, which is another of the other little things firearm people need to be aware of and consider as part of their training.

Some firearm people are quick to criticize the firearm and type of carry of others, while they have big holes in their personal self-defense plan.

I train daily practicing direct and indirect applications to self-defense. Verbal de-escalation(Sorry sir, I apologize, etc, etc), footwork, awareness, being able to draw my firearm without looking at the firearm, pushing a hand that grabbed me, avoiding being taken to the ground (sometimes called "Sprawling" in Brazilian JuJitsu.).etc, etc.

I don't own on, and this is not an advertisement, however go look at Sneaky Pete's website www.sneakypeteholsters.com
If it helps,great
I have a couple of sneaky pete's and they work great for me. but, I also use a dedicated fanny pack when I am either in clothes that don't have a belt and/ or in my power wheelchair. no one even looks twice at me, unless I have my service dog with me.👨‍🦼

Last edited:
I have a couple of sneaky pete's and they work great for me. but, I also use a dedicated fanny pack when I am either in clothes that don't have a belt and/ or in my power wheelchair. no one even looks twice at me, unless I have my service dog with me.👨‍🦼
Those things are way larger than what they look like in the ads. Bought one for the old man. Ended up sending it back.

Here is an interesting tidbit. In Illinois it is apparently legal for out of state residents and for Illinois residents who have a FOID Card to use a two closeable compartment fanny pack to carry an unloaded pistol in one compartment and the loaded magazine in another without the benefit of a concealed carry permit.

My wife did this for years until Illinois was forced to issue carry permits to civilians.
I just saw this for some reason. When carrying like this , you don't have to have 2 compartments. The ammo can be right there next to the firearm as long as it isn't in the firearm. A magazine , as long as not inserted into the pistol , can be touching the pistol.

Back