testtest

Critical Defense or Federal HST?

Greetings. My EDC pistol is an XD S mod 1. I've always used Hornady, but am interested in trying the HST. Comments and/or suggestions? Good shooting to all!
HST’s are known to be great! My real world preference is Speer Gold Dots from shooting deer with them in .40 caliber. I have seen them go through both shoulders on big deer out to 30 yards. My thoughts are if they can go through two pieces of deer hide and some bone I can trust them through thick clothes. Speer bonds the jacket to the lead core, not sure about the HST. The SIG ammo looks great in YouTube testing but lacks the jacket bonding process. Attached is a photo from last year deer kill with Speer in .40 S&W. It’s a free country, have fun testing and researching! Good luck!
4AE22003-253A-427A-802B-05FAD8E99959.jpeg

HST’s are known to be great! My real world preference is Speer Gold Dots from shooting deer with them in .40 caliber. I have seen them go through both shoulders on big deer out to 30 yards. My thoughts are if they can go through two pieces of deer hide and some bone I can trust them through thick clothes. Speer bonds the jacket to the lead core, not sure about the HST. The SIG ammo looks great in YouTube testing but lacks the jacket bonding process. Attached is a photo from last year deer kill with Speer in .40 S&W. It’s a free country, have fun testing and researching! Good luck!View attachment 2458
I use Gold Dot HP 124 in my 9mm CCW........I get them from a friend who is a cop and that is what they are using

I either will carry hornady or federal but i have tried civil defence in the my xdm 9m and when i had the glock 30s which is a 45.wicked stuff,me personally i prefer the civil defence.they are extremely quick and light but they can defeat 3a body armor.

Greetings. My EDC pistol is an XD S mod 1. I've always used Hornady, but am interested in trying the HST. Comments and/or suggestions? Good shooting to all!
I also carry a XDs 3.3 9mm. I use Speer GD 124gr 9mm+P, the same preferred Ammo of the NYPD. It has great reviews and performance videos. The Federal HST is another great round and very comparable to the Speer round. Good luck.

While I don't mix rounds in my carry gun I do in field guns being FMJ/Expander. In my state I don't think I could sell a 25yrd self defense shot. I do understand the impact of the different rounds at a target 25yards but not for sure on the relevance at 2-5yards. In my house distances will be relatively short and in the world not much further. To me the biggest impact of the different rounds would be penetration differences resulting in unintended consequences both for the victim and you.

You're absolutely right - at 2 to 5 yards, it's not about the external ballistics so much as it is about recoil control.

Without truly quantifying, it'll be easy for pretty much any shooter to say "they're similar enough," but if that shooter placed themselves on the shot timer and shot to an actual scoring metric, a difference *will* be noted. ;)

Given that the equation is about accurate shots on-target - in rapid succession if-necessary to stop the threat - the compromises of such varied loading cannot be ignored.

To some degree, this is why the shotgun remains such an awesome weapon even today. The ability of the well-practiced shotgunner to achieve on-the-fly ammo selection to effect the necessary terminal effects is unique.

You're absolutely right - at 2 to 5 yards, it's not about the external ballistics so much as it is about recoil control.

Without truly quantifying, it'll be easy for pretty much any shooter to say "they're similar enough," but if that shooter placed themselves on the shot timer and shot to an actual scoring metric, a difference *will* be noted. ;)

Given that the equation is about accurate shots on-target - in rapid succession if-necessary to stop the threat - the compromises of such varied loading cannot be ignored.

To some degree, this is why the shotgun remains such an awesome weapon even today. The ability of the well-practiced shotgunner to achieve on-the-fly ammo selection to effect the necessary terminal effects is unique.
If I was shooting on a timer/scoring I would be shooting custom loads with little recoil, just enough oomph to keep the gun cycling and stay on target.

^ Ah, I'm afraid that I've caused a misunderstanding. :)

What I meant is not in the context of competition shooting, but rather, in using a shot timer and scored metric to objectively judge one's real-world performance.

HST is a fantastic round in just about all calibers. I'm a huge fan of the 230 gr +P flavor myself.

It's also extremely affordable, Target Sports usually has it for 50% off in the hard to find 50 round boxes. In fact they just started a new sale today.

9MM is $20 per 50

.45 is $22 per 50
Do they have a web site?
As I do not think you were referring to Target's sporting goods section.

Back