testtest

Death Penalty

I'll admit I have conflicting emotions on this hot-button. Our system simply will not and cannot be absolutely infallible, therein is my conflict. There have been many wrongly convicted, and yes, wrongly put to death under the guise of Justice. That is unmitigated injustice, all day/every day. It's the cases regarding heinous acts that are beyond reproach that languish on and on without disposition that upset yours truly. I would be at absolute peace with expedient capital punishment in such cases.

In most states the death penalty is a joke.
Those of you around my age remember Richard Speck who killed eight nurses near Chicago was sentenced to death, but with all the appeals he died of natural causes.
The death sentencing has been repealed for capital crimes, but they are willing to allow abortions no questions asked.
In case you missed this abortion has almost been completely banned which is basically saying that “politicians” are saying women have no control over their own bodies which amounts to a form of slavery.
Let’s review……..
Men and yes some women in power are saying if you get pregnant you can’t get an abortion even it presents a serious risk of death to the mother.
Sounds like slavery to me.

MY OPINION.

I was a staunch supporter of capitol punishment my entire life, until recently. I now see our department of justice is a political weapon. The rapid devolution of our country is breathtaking.
The thing is?

The death penalty , at least for the past 100 years or so, has almost always been political.

This isn’t something new.

I support the death penalty, but.
The way it is carried out in America, I don't think the death penalty is much of a deterrent. It takes too long and without certainty. If carried out quickly it would be more of a deterrent, but then what of mistakes? Execution takes the offender off the board, but so does life imprisonment, provided they serve the time.

I worked a homicide case in 1976 in Ohio where both subjects received the death penalty. I recently learned at least one of them has been released. If anyone deserved the chair it was these two, and I am having trouble reconciling the release.

Here is the fallacy-the death penalty is administered so rarely, so sporadically, as to be almost random.

I am reminded of the fact thst there were public executions in England for many offenses including pickpocketing. Public executions were a problem because of the pickpockets working the crowds.

Last edited:
The way it is carried out in America, I don't think the death penalty is much of a deterrent. It takes too long and without certainty. If carried out quickly it would be more of a deterrent, but then what of mistakes? Execution takes the offender off the board, but so does life imprisonment, provided they serve the time.

I worked a homicide case in 1976 in Ohio where both subjects received the death penalty. I recently learned at least one of them has been released. If anyone deserved the chair it was these two, and I am having trouble reconciling the release.

Here is the fallacy-the death penalty is administered so rarely, so sporadically, as to be almost random.

I am reminded of the fact thst there were public executions in England for many offenses including pickpocketing. Public executions were a problem because of the pickpockets working the crowds.
The problem with speedy execution is when the investigators/prosecutors screw up and charge the wrong person—and they DO charge the wrong person, as has been shown by numerous death row exonerations over the years—a speedy execution means that someone who was innocent of the crime has been killed by the state.

That is NOT acceptable. And it HAS happened far too many times.

Far too high of a cost simply for revenge (and yes, the death penalty IS about revenge; nothing more).

Perhaps if we do go to an accelerated appeals process, should it ever be shown that an innocent person was executed, that every investigator and prosecutor involved in that case is IMMEDIATELY executed themselves; no trial, no appeal, just bang and done.

Let’s see how eager prosecutors are when it’s THEIR life on the line, too.

the thing with "life imprisonment", is that we as tax payers for either the state or federal system, have to pay for those doing life, for food, clothing, housing, medical, cable tv, library, and so on and so forth.

i like the prison systems in other countries....

this is the way they should be treated, not coddled like here in the states.

the thing with "life imprisonment", is that we as tax payers for either the state or federal system, have to pay for those doing life, for food, clothing, housing, medical, cable tv, library, and so on and so forth.

i like the prison systems in other countries....

this is the way they should be treated, not coddled like here in the states.

Again: tell me you don’t believe in the Constitution without actually saying you don’t believe in the Constitution—because the 8th Amendment obviously means nothing to you.

Is the only Amendment you believe in the 2nd? Maybe the 1st when it’s your voice getting hushed, but not someone else’s?

In most states the death penalty is a joke.
Those of you around my age remember Richard Speck who killed eight nurses near Chicago was sentenced to death, but with all the appeals he died of natural causes.
The death sentencing has been repealed for capital crimes, but they are willing to allow abortions no questions asked.
While I would be pro capital punishment I can not make the the connect to abortion, Apples/Oranges to me

While I tend to believe in a life for a life, capital punishment is a rough topic. I have nothing against it in theory, but as Hans mentions there are too many cases of innocent people being not only arrested but convicted. Even one innocent person being executed is too many in my opinion.

Yes, DNA and other advancements have improved things, but more and more we find out how unreliable witness identifications can be even though they are often treated as gospel.

Torn on this topic.

The problem with speedy execution is when the investigators/prosecutors screw up and charge the wrong person—and they DO charge the wrong person, as has been shown by numerous death row exonerations over the years—a speedy execution means that someone who was innocent of the crime has been killed by the state.

That is NOT acceptable. And it HAS happened far too many times.

Far too high of a cost simply for revenge (and yes, the death penalty IS about revenge; nothing more).

Perhaps if we do go to an accelerated appeals process, should it ever be shown that an innocent person was executed, that every investigator and prosecutor involved in that case is IMMEDIATELY executed themselves; no trial, no appeal, just bang and done.

Let’s see how eager prosecutors are when it’s THEIR life on the line, too.
If there isn't enough evidence to conclude the death penalty is warranted then it shouldn't be enough evidence for a murder conviction. The issue isn't the death penalty. You gotta fault the " Jury of your peers" thing.

 JMO

Our justice system is completely screwed up.

We need to work on keeping violent repeat offenders behind bars before we even begin to worry about the death penalty.

Currently in Colorado there seems to be an ongoing pattern of repeat violent criminal offenders being arrested over and over and over again and being released on Probation or an RoR Bond and then violating the conditions of their probation or their bond and not being incarcerated.

Every election there's a section on our ballots to retainer release any sitting judge and from now on I'm voting to release all of them.

Start working on that, then we'll worry about the death penalty

If there isn't enough evidence to conclude the death penalty is warranted then it shouldn't be enough evidence for a murder conviction. The issue isn't the death penalty. You gotta fault the " Jury of your peers" thing.
And when prosecutors bury exculpatory evidence (as has happened, more than once)?

The problem isn’t the jury.

Back