testtest

DeSantis 1911 holsters - now molded specifically for SIG profile slides.

fordag

Elite
I just purchased a DeSantis Mad Max for my Mil-Spec. I was surprised when I received it to see that the holster was clearly molded for a SIG Sauer 1911 and not the standard slide profile. The holster fails the drop test, hold it upside down and the gun s slide right out. You can see light around the gun at the slide and at the top side of the slide since SIGs have a squared off slide rather than round. The holster causes noticeable uneven wear on the slide.

I thought I might have ordered the wrong holster but after double checking I found it was the right one, according to DeSantis. So I emailed them asking what was up. This was the response I received:

"Unfortunately, our 1911 holsters are all molded to accommodate the Sig 1911s, but the standard 1911s fit as well. Our clips are all made to fit up to 1 ¾” belts. I do apologize for any inconvenience."
-DeSantis Holster & Leather Goods Co.

Also while the leather belt lops that come with the holster fit a 1-3/4" belt just fine, the J-hooks do not, they are for a 1-1/2" belt at best.

Here is a link to photos of the 1911 holster as now sold by DeSantis:

I do wish Versa Max 2 holsters in horsehide were not a six month wait. But wait I must.

DeSantis ProStealth was the first holster I ever owned. They make outstanding products.
I agree they made oustanding products. Apparently just not for 1911 pistols anymore. Unless you own a SIG 1911.

I spoke with a customer service rep after the email. Apparently the decision was made about a year ago to mold all of their 1911 holsters for SIG profile 1911s.

I agree they made oustanding products. Apparently just not for 1911 pistols anymore. Unless you own a SIG 1911.

I spoke with a customer service rep after the email. Apparently the decision was made about a year ago to mold all of their 1911 holsters for SIG profile 1911s.

Odd business decision, but perhaps the market, FOR THEM, made more sense that way? Weird.

Odd business decision, but perhaps the market, FOR THEM, made more sense that way? Weird.
I would be very surprised to learn that holsters for SIG 1911s with the SIG slide profile out sell all standard 1911s holsters. Even SIG doesn't make all of their 1911s with that profile. As you said, weird.

Back