testtest

Did the Hellcat Kill the XD-S?

Hellcat: frame too small, costs too much for a little polymer pistol, and it's butt-ugly.

XD-S in .45 acp hands down.
My brother in law got hard up for cash and sold me his two days ago for $100. I don’t like it at all. Way too small. It’s also got some weird :poop: going on with the trigger. When dry firing with no mag in, after the trigger pull the trigger stays back against the grip. Is this some sort of stupid mag safety ?

I told him I’d give him first dibs if I sold it and I’d give it back to him for what he sold it for. Barring that it will be for sale.

Sorry. But the XD is Here too Stay. I love the way it Fits in my Hand And ok Gun People time to Hey. I love the Xd Safety on them too. Mr HellCat maybe and the Safety on the Grip may Help you. Not in My Case. Also. Springfield Armory Rocks #1

The Hellcat killed the XDS. The XDS is bigger and heavier and has less rounds.

Most will go Shield 2.0 in 45 or 1911. I don't see many talking about or promoting the XDS in 45 other than those who already own one. Other than that, single stacks other than Glocks are all but dead. Glocks only sell because of their fantasy and after market mags that use non single stack mags.

The Hellcat is a great little gun. Subcompacts double stack capacity in a micro single stack platform. Not sure what's not to like or why some are being critical.

Last edited:
I bought one and the 15 round magazine..you can't even get 13 rds in it .. I can't bring myself to carry it with that glock type trigger.. ill sell it and stick with my kimber micro9 or ultra carry ii 45acp.. and extra mags.. wanna buy it back?? Oh I do love the sights
I will admit that I did love the Hellcat's sights, but that one plus didn't make up for all the other minuses. I love Springfield; love my XD Mod.2 subcompact; love my XDM Elite Tactical OSP. But I couldn't come up with a good reason to keep the Hellcat rather than sell it and use the money to buy something better.

The XDE is the gun that should still be made. It was the only single stack , DA/SA carry pistol. A metal version would be AMAZING too. The XDE was designed for AIWB carry and would be really popular with the proper update.
Agreed. I don't have a Hellcat, but I have an XDS. It's the only XD that hasn't gone "Bang!" for me every time. Hitting the lube points a little better seems to have fixed the problem, but I much prefer the XDE. I like SA/DA pistols, and the XDE checks all the boxes for me.

My brother in law got hard up for cash and sold me his two days ago for $100. I don’t like it at all. Way too small. It’s also got some weird :poop: going on with the trigger. When dry firing with no mag in, after the trigger pull the trigger stays back against the grip. Is this some sort of stupid mag safety ?

I told him I’d give him first dibs if I sold it and I’d give it back to him for what he sold it for. Barring that it will be for sale.
Not sure why the trigger staying back is an issue. The trigger is dead and useless whether it stays to the rear or not until the slide is racked again. The Hellcat is not the only platform with a trigger like that FYI. It's common on several other platforms.

Yes, it is small. That is the whole point of single stacks, mouse 380s, etc. Deep concealment, lightweight, small package. That's like wanting a deep concealment gun, buying a Glock 19 or 17, and then complaining and bashing it for being to big.

My guess is it's just a matter of time before Springfield discontinue the XDS just like they did with the XDE. Other than members on this forum, it seems the market and the rest of America have moved away from single stacks and the XDS to the Micro 9mm like the Hellcat.

Not sure why the trigger staying back is an issue. The trigger is dead and useless whether it stays to the rear or not until the slide is racked again. The Hellcat is not the only platform with a trigger like that FYI. It's common on several other platforms.

Yes, it is small. That is the whole point of single stacks, mouse 380s, etc. Deep concealment, lightweight, small package. That's like wanting a deep concealment gun, buying a Glock 19 or 17, and then complaining and bashing it for being to big.

My guess is it's just a matter of time before Springfield discontinue the XDS just like they did with the XDE. Other than members on this forum, it seems the market and the rest of America have moved away from single stacks and the XDS to the Micro 9mm like the Hellcat.

I didn't say it was an issue, just that it's weird. I have a pile of striker fired guns and not a single one of them does that.

I can easily conceal larger guns, so why would I carry a smaller gun that doesn't fit my hand well ?

It's also not at all like buying a Glock 19 and then complaining about it. Unless I can buy a Glock 19 for a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was an issue, just that it's weird. I have a pile of striker fired guns and not a single one of them does that.

I can easily conceal larger guns, so why would I carry a smaller gun that doesn't fit my hand well ?
I own over 100 firearms and have carried large and small in different caliber. It is NOT easier or as easy to conceal a G19 or larger vs a Hellcat or th like. Not sure many would agree with you there. The proof is how much more single stacks, micro stagger stacked, mouse 380s, and J frame are more popular for carry than fullsize guns.

Off the top of my head, the Walther PPS's and PPS M2's trigger also stays to the rear. There are a few others as well. Not all platforms will function like Glocks.

I own over 100 firearms and have carried large and small in different caliber. It is NOT easier or as easy to conceal a G19 or larger vs a Hellcat or th like. Not sure many would agree with you there. The proof is how much more single stacks, micro stagger stacked, mouse 380s, and J frame are more popular for carry than fullsize guns.

Off the top of my head, the Walther PPS's and PPS M2's trigger also stays to the rear. There are a few others as well. Not all platforms will function like Glocks.
:rolleyes:

Okay, I don't own any Glocks and I don't own a PPS, I do own a PPQ and it doesn't stay to the rear. Neither does the XD Mod 2, the Shields, HKs or Sigs. I'm not sure why you, some dude I don't know, would give a F about me asking a question about the function of a gun I bought ( ridiculously cheap) that I have never seen on any other gun.

Next. The Shield has a larger grip than the XDs. It fits my hand better. My Shield .45 is a tack driver with zero issues or weird "Functionality" quirks in the close to 10k rounds I've put through it. And it conceals as easily as an XDs. I also pretty easily can conceal a VP9 and even a 4" service model XD Mod 2 .45 in cooler weather. Furthermore, if I need "Deep concealment" I can conceal damn near anything under my armpit. I have shirts for that. AIWB is also a viable option.

It's not your business how many guns I have collected in my 40-ish years of shooting and collecting and I really am not interested or impressed with how many you have. I can think of at least 3 or 4 guys on this forum right here that make your collection and my collection combined look like we just bought our first gun yesterday.

So.. To summarize. I bought an XDs at about 1/5th of the price they sell for. It is not a gun I would buy if I wasn't getting it very cheap. And frankly I did it to help out my brother in law. It has a weird trigger issue I have never seen before, so I guess I have to defer to your incredible base of knowledge with your 100s of firearms. My question, as simple and pedestrian as it is, is do ALL XDs do this ? Is it some sort of magazine disconnect or is their something wrong with this gun ? So if you can answer THAT question I appreciate it. If not, make way for someone who can.

:rolleyes:

Okay, I don't own any Glocks and I don't own a PPS, I do own a PPQ and it doesn't stay to the rear. Neither does the XD Mod 2, the Shields, HKs or Sigs. I'm not sure why you, some dude I don't know, would give a F about me asking a question about the function of a gun I bought ( ridiculously cheap) that I have never seen on any other gun.

Next. The Shield has a larger grip than the XDs. It fits my hand better. My Shield .45 is a tack driver with zero issues or weird "Functionality" quirks in the close to 10k rounds I've put through it. And it conceals as easily as an XDs. I also pretty easily can conceal a VP9 and even a 4" service model XD Mod 2 .45 in cooler weather. Furthermore, if I need "Deep concealment" I can conceal damn near anything under my armpit. I have shirts for that. AIWB is also a viable option.

It's not your business how many guns I have collected in my 40-ish years of shooting and collecting and I really am not interested or impressed with how many you have. I can think of at least 3 or 4 guys on this forum right here that make your collection and my collection combined look like we just bought our first gun yesterday.

So.. To summarize. I bought an XDs at about 1/5th of the price they sell for. It is not a gun I would buy if I wasn't getting it very cheap. And frankly I did it to help out my brother in law. It has a weird trigger issue I have never seen before, so I guess I have to defer to your incredible base of knowledge with your 100s of firearms. My question, as simple and pedestrian as it is, is do ALL XDs do this ? Is it some sort of magazine disconnect or is their something wrong with this gun ? So if you can answer THAT question I appreciate it. If not, make way for someone who can.
Yes, my XDs 45acp does the same. I'm not testing all my pistols, but a quick check shows the following:
XD Mod.2 45acp - Does Not
FN 509s MRD and FNS 9C - Does
FN 503 (single stack) - Does not
S&W C.O.R.E. and 9 2.0 - Does Not
Glocks G26 and G30s - Does (perhaps all Glocks do, I only tested these 2).
Sig P320 9sc - Does not
Interestingly I never really realized this before, but I'm not really bothered by it for what it's worth. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Did the Hellcat Kill the XD-S?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/springfield-hellcat-vs-xds/.

XD-s 45 MOD2 hands down. It only takes one .45 round and the perp won't be getting up. An old prison guard and family member once told he met a lot of inmates who were shot with a 9mm, but never once did he come across (in his 30+ years) an inmate who was shot with a .45 ~ think about that!

Just think its a sign of the times. People want smaller guns with more capacity. Really only way to do it is with 9mm. 45 acp is a great round but to big. Also weight might also have a lot to do with it. I had a xd-s in 9mm and prefer the Hellcat.

Just think its a sign of the times. People want smaller guns with more capacity. Really only way to do it is with 9mm. 45 acp is a great round but to big. Also weight might also have a lot to do with it. I had a xd-s in 9mm and prefer the Hellcat.
Probably true. I however don't subscribe to it. My Shield .45 is only barely bigger than my Shield .40 ( which is the same exact size as the 9mm). None of these guns are double stack, but the Shield Plus is right about the same size and it is clearly designed to compete against the Hellcat.

Here's a question. Is the Hellcat bigger than the XDs 3.3 ?

Probably true. I however don't subscribe to it. My Shield .45 is only barely bigger than my Shield .40 ( which is the same exact size as the 9mm). None of these guns are double stack, but the Shield Plus is right about the same size and it is clearly designed to compete against the Hellcat.

Here's a question. Is the Hellcat bigger than the XDs 3.3 ?
It's shown in the video (about the 6 minute mark). Slide/Barrel of Hellcat a bit smaller (3" HC vs 3.3" XDs), and the XDs grip a bit slimmer as it's a single stack. But just to look at them, they are about the same size for easy concealment.

The XDS .45acp I didn't care for and traded in for a Shield .45 2.0 PC which I still have. Walther PPS M2 / Shield 2.0 or a Shield+ both shoot better than any other sub compact for me. But being a capacity whore I own a Hellcat / Shield+ / Max 9. If I dress and tuck the shirt in I generally carry my M2 in a Crossbreed tuckable holster. No reason other than I just like it in that situation.

I purchased my Shield 45 acp years ago. I still have it and its a great gun. Some days it is just a little too much for me to carry- very bad back. But I do like it and there is nothing like a 45!
I carry mine every day. IWB in a CB MiniTuck. If you try to carry at 3:00 at our age and with our backs you're going to get some Sciatica. Ask me how I know. A good chiropractor is a necessity.

Grip length about the same ?
I'd have to say they are about the same grip length sans magazines (each offer mags with different capacities). I have both pistols, but the XDs is secured in a rack compartment under a heavy truck safe that contain 3 lever action rifles (which I don't feel up to moving again to get to it). From the video/article that Mike H. posted, I saved some pics of the two of them that I've attached. You can make your own judgement, but I think they are close.

XDSG9339CT.png
HC9319B.png

Back