testtest

Did the Hellcat Kill the XD-S?

I'd have to say they are about the same grip length sans magazines (each offer mags with different capacities). I have both pistols, but the XDs is secured in a rack compartment under a heavy truck safe that contain 3 lever action rifles (which I don't feel up to moving again to get to it). From the video/article that Mike H. posted, I saved some pics of the two of them that I've attached. You can make your own judgement, but I think they are close.

View attachment 29997View attachment 29998
Seems to confirm my suspicion that I wouldn’t like the Hellcat.

Yes, my XDs 45acp does the same. I'm not testing all my pistols, but a quick check shows the following:
XD Mod.2 45acp - Does Not
FN 509s MRD and FNS 9C - Does
FN 503 (single stack) - Does not
S&W C.O.R.E. and 9 2.0 - Does Not
Glocks G26 and G30s - Does (perhaps all Glocks do, I only tested these 2).
Sig P320 9sc - Does not
Interestingly I never really realized this before, but I'm not really bothered by it for what it's worth. Just my opinion.
As I stated, several firearm platforms do the same exact thing. Most do not notice it as it is a non issue although it is an issue to Bassbob for some reason. It's not some exclusive to the Hellcat. Many popular and well respected platforms have triggers that do the same exact thing. Bassbob is making a mole out of an anthill on this issue. He just doesn't have much experience with different platforms.

Last edited:
I'd have to say they are about the same grip length sans magazines (each offer mags with different capacities). I have both pistols, but the XDs is secured in a rack compartment under a heavy truck safe that contain 3 lever action rifles (which I don't feel up to moving again to get to it). From the video/article that Mike H. posted, I saved some pics of the two of them that I've attached. You can make your own judgement, but I think they are close.

View attachment 29997View attachment 29998
The XDS is heavier, taller, and longer than the Hellcat. The Hellcat is .02" thicker while holding 11 rounds vs the XDS's 7 rounds. Your photo are not at the correct proportions.

LOifQde.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to confirm my suspicion that I wouldn’t like the Hellcat.
Well, the picture is of the OG Hellcat and not the Hellcat Pro which can hold 15 and which would then add some to the grip length. Not much, but I don't think it would change your mind.
I have 4 Shields (9mm 1.0 Apex trigger; Performance Center 1.0 9mm; 40; and 45). I also have the Performance Center Sheild + 4" barrel, and just ordered the PC Sheild + Ported with Crimson Trace optic. My current carry is the Hellcat because I love the sights on it. But I'm now leaning more towards a bit longer barrel/slide for better sight radius, so the non Sheild + might end up replacing the HC for EDC and when I get good with the CT optic, start carring the PC Sheild + w/CT optic.
I always like the Shields, they were my EDC before the HC which I switched to due to capacity. It was a toss up between the P365 and HC whose sights I like better. The P365 XL and Hellcat Pro are contenders, but I like the 4" Sheild + due to longer barrel/slide.

Well, the picture is of the OG Hellcat and not the Hellcat Pro which can hold 15 and which would then add some to the grip length. Not much, but I don't think it would change your mind.
I have 4 Shields (9mm 1.0 Apex trigger; Performance Center 1.0 9mm; 40; and 45). I also have the Performance Center Sheild + 4" barrel, and just ordered the PC Sheild + Ported with Crimson Trace optic. My current carry is the Hellcat because I love the sights on it. But I'm now leaning more towards a bit longer barrel/slide for better sight radius, so the non Sheild + might end up replacing the HC for EDC and when I get good with the CT optic, start carring the PC Sheild + w/CT optic.
I always like the Shields, they were my EDC before the HC which I switched to due to capacity. It was a toss up between the P365 and HC whose sights I like better. The P365 XL and Hellcat Pro are contenders, but I like the 4" Sheild + due to longer barrel/slide.
I almost bought the 4" .45. I'm glad I didn't now because I think they will make a Shield Plus in .45 at some point. I will definitely be grabbing a PC version of that gun when they make it. The grips on the Shield just work really well for me. Even with the stock 2.0 trigger I shoot that gun incredibly well. Almost as good as @SimonRL. :cool:

I almost bought the 4" .45. I'm glad I didn't now because I think they will make a Shield Plus in .45 at some point. I will definitely be grabbing a PC version of that gun when they make it. The grips on the Shield just work really well for me. Even with the stock 2.0 trigger I shoot that gun incredibly well. Almost as good as @SimonRL. :cool:
Yeah, I have the 3.6” 9 & 40 and 4” 45 S&W Compacts. One would have been my new EDC, but the Shield + will probably win out.

The Hellcat micto with a 15 round mag will give the same exact grip size as the Pro as well.

The Hellcat is basically for those who want a lightweight pistol that can be carried in the pocket or deep concealment without sacrificing capacity. If someone does not need those requirements, the Shield Plus and radiation single stacks and sub compacts will better suit them. No need to bash either sized guns. They all serve different purposes and solve different problems.

Every time I come home I show my wife a photo of my target that day - which I’m usually pretty pleased with and she looks at me deadpan and says, “How come you can’t shoot me a smiley face?”

Every time I come home I show my wife a photo of my target that day - which I’m usually pretty pleased with and she looks at me deadpan and says, “How come you can’t shoot me a smiley face?”
I did that with an AR on my wife's New York Giants Plate that I took off her car. She didn't talk to me until I got another plate! ( I still hate the Giants)

I bought a XDs because when the first Hellcats came out if your trigger finger pushed even a little to the side it would lock the trigger up. I noticed it first on the counter gun at my local gun store. Found out later that SA changed the trigger. The other option was to get an apex trigger for it. The other reason is I have 6 screws and 2 rods in my lower back and I have difficulty carrying any handgun on my hip PERIOD. So the only gun I have that I can carry is a single stack XDs. What gets me is the video talks about longer barrel length, then why of why did they reintroduce the mod 2 45 XDs in a short barrel instead of the 4 inch? I looked all over for 4 inch 45's and couldn't find any new/used at all.
Then they also deleted the 7 round extended magazine? Why???

Slide it back to 4:00 and adjust your draw. Frankly I have been seriously considering that new CB holster for AIWB though.
That’s what I did with my Hellcat in a Crossbreed Reckoning holster. Past few years I occasionally get right hip pain when sleeping on my right side. It doesn’t hurt all the time and rarely after getting out of the bed. I’m not sure what it’s from, but figured wearing at 3:00 on the right side wasn’t helping matters much.

That’s what I did with my Hellcat in a Crossbreed Reckoning holster. Past few years I occasionally get right hip pain when sleeping on my right side. It doesn’t hurt all the time and rarely after getting out of the bed. I’m not sure what it’s from, but figured wearing at 3:00 on the right side wasn’t helping matters much.

About a year ago I got sciatica running down my right leg. I switched up my positioning and the sciatica moved to my left leg. Wouldn't go away. Chiropractor hooked me up. Left it at 4:00 and haven't had issues since, other than my Texas trip, but that's another story. The Reckoning. I think that's the one I was looking at. Those are available with a spare mag carrier attached right? It's in my near future ( along with a bunch of stuff). I love CB for IWB and Muddy River Tactical for OWB. Both Missouri owned and veteran owned and both make products that I like very much.

Back