testtest

Did You Know the Mil-Spec Could Do This?

Back in the day, I was teaching FBI sniper schools in conjunction with the Springfield PD. After a day at the range, the SPD range master an I would put several clay targets on the berm at 100 yards and shoot them with our duty revolvers. We hit the clays a lot more often than I originally thought possible. Some fun shooting at distance. The old FBI practical pistol course had five rounds prone from the 60 yd. line. If you wanted to shoot a "Possible" you had to be able to shoot from a distance.
Agreed! I still enjoy shooting J-Frames or other small frame handguns at 100 yards or more. Most people just don't have the trigger control needed to hit reliably at long ranges with duty type guns, but they can if you try hard! Witness this Mil-Spec. I confess I was amazed. I'm going to change out the trigger and try it all again. Roy H.

Hi,

It seems the slide action would carry the ejector port behind the scope's frame so that the spent brass would eject from the red circle area. ;)

View attachment 35687

I've heard of and tried pinhole glasses. They seemed to help these old eyes read print without my reader glasses. I was unaware of this "Eyepal" patch for your shooting glasses. It seems to operate on the same principle. I might have to rig me up something like that to see if it helps. 🤓

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
That's right, it tosses it out behind the side plate. I never had any issues with it but you do need to keep the grip screws tightened regularly. Roy

There's little question that pinhole apertures on your glasses can sharpen your sight picture. BUT! Will you have such a thing available in time of real "crisis"? Almost certainly not. Best to not learn to rely on one to do your shooting.
You're right, but if you're trying to wring out the best accuracy for a test and don't have your 20 year old eyes any longer, it sure helps. I've found shooting with the Eyepal sort of "makes" you try harder when you don't have it on. Roy H.

Xdman … It’s nice to be here. My first time with you all. Everyone seems civilized and such, which is refreshing in today’s world. I’ve tried engaging on other forums but invariably it seems to turn into sniping and other nonsense. Thanks for the welcome. Roy H.
Roy, I've enjoyed your writings in AH for several decades now. I believe we're the same age, and we seem to have a lot of "gun taste" in common. Good to have you here! ;) (y)

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Did You Know the Mil-Spec Could Do This?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/did-you-know-the-mil-spec-could-do-this/.

I’ve known the name Roy Hunting
Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Did You Know the Mil-Spec Could Do This?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/did-you-know-the-mil-spec-could-do-this/.

I’ve recognized the name Roy Huntington for some time, being a huge, decades long subscriber to American Handgunner and more recently a follower of Guns Magazine, but only in the last few months a real afficianado of his literary articles and media presentations. The man can write, inform, and entertain! I’m Roy’s elder by about 5 years, but generationally a peer and near twin in passion for all things with triggers that go “Boom” when pressed…I can relate… Thanks Roy for your contributions to the industry and 2A community. Keep the grist coming!

There's little question that pinhole apertures on your glasses can sharpen your sight picture. BUT! Will you have such a thing available in time of real "crisis"? Almost certainly not. Best to not learn to rely on one to do your shooting.
I believe Roy’s point is that these have a beneficial place on the range when developing loads for or testing the accuracy of factory ammo in different firearms. That’s where they have a definite benefit for me. I’m quite certain that no one with any common sense or practical experience, particularly Roy, would suggest that you walk around town carrying concealed or attend a pistol class or compete in a match with one plastered on your eye ware, the presumption of which is a ludicrous attempt by someone uninformed to gain notariety by “one upping” a man of vastly more experience. The world is full of arm chair quarterbacks…

Scoped guns.. DUH... Of course it works.. BUT like everything in this world "there's more to the story." HIP SHOOTING... YES it works too. Trust me... when you're running thru the bush with someone one your ****... you have nothing but INSTINCT to save you. SO... like the scripture says... "there is a time for everything." BULLET WEIGHT ETC. Rotational deflection, wind, humidity... you can't just say, "Oh, Put a scope on it and now your a marksman.
Very interesting article!

I don't have a SA Mil-Spec (except for their CO2/BB pistol) but I do have several 1911s set up almost exactly the same way. This is also VERY similar to the old Jeff Cooper GSP (Gunsite Service Pistol) and in fact I built up my first one even before the GSP appeared back in the '80s. Roy's results didn't surprise me a bit as mine shoot very similarly. (I have never put a scope on one and shot at 100 yards, though.)

View attachment 35649
Agreed about making you a marksman, Doug. I've found scoping a handgun like this allows you to explore its accuracy potential. But as you say ... you still need to know how to shoot! Roy H.
Roy, you are a scholar and a gentleman! Much more patient than I am with this sort of drivel… I tip my hat.

Scoped guns.. DUH... Of course it works.. BUT like everything in this world "there's more to the story." HIP SHOOTING... YES it works too. Trust me... when you're running thru the bush with someone one your ****... you have nothing but INSTINCT to save you. SO... like the scripture says... "there is a time for everything." BULLET WEIGHT ETC. Rotational deflection, wind, humidity... you can't just say, "Oh, Put a scope on it and now your a marksman.
So I see you're here to make friends, then. :eek: :rolleyes: :LOL:
Actually I am, but I have a great deal of disdain for those whose remarks reflect disrespect for contributors like Mr. Huntington who takes the time to share his insights with us, which frankly, I greatly appreciate! I’m an ardent disciple of Thumper who said to Bambi, “If you can’t say something nice…don’t say anything at all.” Just saying…

Actually I am, but I have a great deal of disdain for those whose remarks reflect disrespect for contributors like Mr. Huntington who takes the time to share his insights with us, which frankly, I greatly appreciate! I’m an ardent disciple of Thumper who said to Bambi, “If you can’t say something nice…don’t say anything at all.” Just saying…
Perhaps you should take your own advice, there.

Perhaps you should take your own advice, there.
More than happy to remain quiet in the main, but as I get older, I find it harder to abide the pseudo authorities who makes assertions relative to subjects about which they obviously have no substantive knowledge. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but if they choose to take issue with an experienced professional such as Roy Huntington, I would suggest they wait until they have a pedigree that matches his or keep quiet until such time as they acquire one. Having said that, I'm through with this discussion.

sooooooooooo we get the fact that you are a huge fanboy of RH, whoopeeeeeeeeeeee
Yes sir, and any other professional with his tenure and experience. I actually feel like I might learn something of benefit from them…apparently you do not, which begs the question, why are you here in the first place?

Back