testtest

Discussion: What Will Make Your Gun Fail (and Why)?

I try my best to not overclean, but after 30 years of Law Enforcement and a short hitch in the Navy, cleaning is required after use. A functioning pistol may not always be clean, but a clean pistol usually functions. I do miss a Gunnermate doing the cleaning while in the Navy though...
 
After each time a weapon is finished being fired.
1791474053894.png
 
On the underside of the rail between the notches used to lock the slide and remove the slide stop during disassembly/cleaning. I was not sure what caused it as it is not present in my other 1911s (commercial). I ended up replacing the slide on the one which woukd hang up in battery.

Anyone run into this before? Only shot 230 hardball out of them.
 
My competition gun gets cleaned when it starts to malfunction. Usually about every 5000 rounds or so. Right now it is at 7800 or so rounds out without cleaning.


EDC gets cleaned after every use. So several times a year.
 
I learned from jarhead’s. So every time I go shooting, I have the joy of cleaning it. I have had really dirty ammo and some not so dirty. I rather be prepared for the next range day or putting it in a holster. Like the old saying goes “A clean gun is a functional gun”.
 
I'm a clean freak (mucho OCD) on guns. Anytime I've bought a used gun, I clean it as soon as I get home. My latest is a Ruger P89DC, and it was sold to the LGS absolutely filthy. So filthy that at first glance, the barrel looked like it was mostly obstructed! So I do my 'tism on it and when I was done, the barrel revealed its flawless shine. While some wear & tear on the outside is acceptable if it's old, I will not buy a gun if there's any pitting in the barrel.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CEW
Back
Top