• Yes! 👍

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • No! 👎

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • What’s cleaning a gun? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is why the military only authorizes cleaning with CLP. Despite there being so many other products and procedures that could make cleaning quicker and easier. CLP for cleaning works, it just takes longer and a lot more work, but its full proof, no way to screw it up. That's the military attitude, if there is a way to screw it up, a Soldier, Marine, Sailor, Airman will screw it up. Cleaning with CLP is foolproof, but they have to work twice as hard, make work twice as hard. :ROFLMAO:

Cleaning firearms with Simple Green and/or denatured alcohol works, quite well, but it is also really easy to screw it up....
i have found over the years, i use less and less actual gun cleaner. I swab the barrels with a patch moist with oil and see how it goes to clean, run a patch a few times, if its still dirty then i might use some actual cleaner.

at range i usually drag a bore snake through after 30 or 40 rounds to knock off any soot or stuff

i am probably like many and tend to leave a bit much oil on the sliding stuff, then wipe it real good prior to first firing of the day.

i speak of "precautions" due to my lead level...

back in July, the level was....23.3

just this week, it is....17.6

the highest my lead level ever was.....March 2022, at 30

i have been making it a concentrated effort to wear latex gloves when reloading, and cleaning.

as for "ventilation", my basement is quite drafty, no open windows or such, just a lot of drafts. in the summertime, i make sure a fan is on.

of course too, i have lead removal soap at home after gun cleaning, and lead wipes after any range visit, followed by hand washer when there.

and i wear my eye glasses under a pair of safety glasses to see the smaller parts.

That’s why i do all my cleaning in a closed closet, by candlelight, sitting on cases of 9mm, while drinking moonshine.
1701212228162.png

I enjoy it. I find it peaceful (unless your on your hands and knees looking for little springs and such). So much of everything in my daily life is go,go,go. It's nice to sit back and take my time stripping and cleaning my tools. I do not have the collection most do. But always take at least 2 firearms on range day. It does get monotonous at times. But an adult beverage afterwards is like a reward and a nice end to range days!

I decided to try out CLP recently and I was pleasantly surprised.

As for cleaning guns, I kind of think it's overrated. I don't rush home and clean whatever I just had at the range, I clean when I'm good and ready. Lately cleaning my guns has evolved into what article of clothing have I ruined this time.
You can clean engine parts with fresh clean oil, it will work, but will take more time and effort than something like Kerosene or specific engine parts cleaners. That is pretty much what your doing with CLP using it to clean your firearm, and there is nothing wrong with that, it just take longer and more work.

i have found over the years, i use less and less actual gun cleaner. I swab the barrels with a patch moist with oil and see how it goes to clean, run a patch a few times, if its still dirty then i might use some actual cleaner.

at range i usually drag a bore snake through after 30 or 40 rounds to knock off any soot or stuff

i am probably like many and tend to leave a bit much oil on the sliding stuff, then wipe it real good prior to first firing of the day.
I do use bore cleaner, but it just a couple passes with a brush, then patches to clean it out and then oiled patches to oil the inside of the bore.

While a lot of the newer bore cleaner isn't so corrosive that you can't use it for other things, but I don't get the guys that will clean the whole firearm with bore cleaner, sure, it probably won't damage anything, but its labeled "bore cleaner" not "whole firearm cleaner".

I may be askew, but I won't even have WD40 in the same room while maintaining my weapons. . .
Yes, there are people that used WD-40 like it was CLP, and that is wrong, its a poor lubricant and cleaner, and although I have never seen it, I have heard the claims that it can leave a build up of goo, I can only imagine that was after gallons of WD-40 had sprayed into a firearm.

Since its a mild solvent, I have seen it work and have it used it as a spot cleaner on metal.

It has its proper uses, and IMO one of them is anti-corrosion protection on the exterior metal. Not that are other products that do the same and work very well.

Back