• Yes! 👍

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • No! 👎

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • What’s cleaning a gun? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Warranties schmawrenties.....As much as I drive, they (warranties) are good for 2-3 months. The older I get, the more I wonder about the oil change recommendations....NEVER seen an engine problem with my intervals....regardless of the responses we see here. With my limited experience (18-20 vehicles in last 20 years).
18-20 vehicles in the last 20 years? That is a new a vehicle every year to barely more than a year. Do you drive 200k miles a year? You not going to see accumulated engine wear on a car a year or two old and if you're driving 200k miles a year, that would have to be mostly highway miles.

Years ago, everyone would recommend against buying a used Rental car, even though its only a year old and only has 10k miles on it, because it was very likely those 10k miles was abusive. Today, most agree its a very viable option because of the improve quality and longevity of cars, that most will easily go to 100k miles without breakdowns. A year and 10k miles, even if abusive is so little in the life of the modern vehicle its likely a very solid vehicle.

I personally don't put too much into warranty, I do document my preventative maintenance at least till the warranty is up. Remember if you DIY, have receipts showing the parts and materials that you used to prove you complied with intervals and and recommendations for fluid and parts that should be used.

Read up on what degrades the oil, its start-ups and running while not warmed up, idling and operating in extremes, temps and conditions, dust and dirt.

If you drive a 50 mile commute mostly on the highway, in 7500 miles the oil is 15 weeks old and you have done 120 start-ups and warm ups. You can easily go much longer on that oil without it being sheared down or contaminated.

If you drive a 1.5 mile commute in city traffic, in 7500 miles the oil is 9 and half years old, you've done 5000 start-ups and done most of driving while the motor is cold, half your engine run time is idling in stop and go accelerations, some of the harshest usage for an engine and its oil. Yes, the O.M. will have some advice about changing the oil within 6 mo or a year if you don't hit the mileage, but you clearly should change that oil much earlier than the recommended 7500 miles.

So it is very dependent on the conditions and usage as too the interval to change the oil, sure oil and engines have improved greatly, the old 3k mile oil change is really antiquitated, but it is very possible that some conditions and usage would require oil changes much sooner or later than the recommended interval published in the O.M. that is based off the typical usage. If you track it you will find out if you need to do it sooner or later. Oh, if you have one of the those vehicle that tracks it for you, you can go off the tracking the vehicle does of itself.

18-20 vehicles in the last 20 years? That is a new a vehicle every year to barely more than a year. Do you drive 200k miles a year? You not going to see accumulated engine wear on a car a year or two old and if you're driving 200k miles a year, that would have to be mostly highway miles.

Years ago, everyone would recommend against buying a used Rental car, even though its only a year old and only has 10k miles on it, because it was very likely those 10k miles was abusive. Today, most agree its a very viable option because of the improve quality and longevity of cars, that most will easily go to 100k miles without breakdowns. A year and 10k miles, even if abusive is so little in the life of the modern vehicle its likely a very solid vehicle.

I personally don't put too much into warranty, I do document my preventative maintenance at least till the warranty is up. Remember if you DIY, have receipts showing the parts and materials that you used to prove you complied with intervals and and recommendations for fluid and parts that should be used.

Read up on what degrades the oil, its start-ups and running while not warmed up, idling and operating in extremes, temps and conditions, dust and dirt.

If you drive a 50 mile commute mostly on the highway, in 7500 miles the oil is 15 weeks old and you have done 120 start-ups and warm ups. You can easily go much longer on that oil without it being sheared down or contaminated.

If you drive a 1.5 mile commute in city traffic, in 7500 miles the oil is 9 and half years old, you've done 5000 start-ups and done most of driving while the motor is cold, half your engine run time is idling in stop and go accelerations, some of the harshest usage for an engine and its oil. Yes, the O.M. will have some advice about changing the oil within 6 mo or a year if you don't hit the mileage, but you clearly should change that oil much earlier than the recommended 7500 miles.

So it is very dependent on the conditions and usage as too the interval to change the oil, sure oil and engines have improved greatly, the old 3k mile oil change is really antiquitated, but it is very possible that some conditions and usage would require oil changes much sooner or later than the recommended interval published in the O.M. that is based off the typical usage. If you track it you will find out if you need to do it sooner or later. Oh, if you have one of the those vehicle that tracks it for you, you can go off the tracking the vehicle does of itself.
I have been driving company cars/trucks for over 20 years. New one every 150-200k miles, changed jobs twice in that time, plus I've had 5 personal vehicles during that stretch. I drive about 100k miles/year. I've had 4 trucks taken out by deer, 3 taken out by system failures (all long after warranties expired)...the latest was an F-150 transmission failure, pretty common for the 10-speed 2.7L ecoboost model, I've since learned. The last three 1/2-tons have had the stupid "fuel-saving" auto shut-off with each stop feature....which I turn off immediately upon entering now (otherwise I'd have over 200 starts a day). I can't afford the time to change my oil every week or 2, since the process eats up 1/3 of a work-day. So to clarify, I have not driven each of the 18-20 vehicles to it's life-max mileage of 150-200k.

Not reading up on anything thanks...my chosen oil change intervals work for me. The transmission failure (about 10 weeks ago) is getting close to a recall for Ford. There were a host of F-150's in line to get their transmissions replaced at my dealer...wait time was quoted 8-12 weeks for the service...unrelated to oil going 12k miles. Ford has issued at least 3 service bulletins on this transmission and its problems. Got a new Chevy (with the exact same transmission I've learned).

My company has 5 employees in WI that drive just like me. Among my industry competition, there are approx 30 other salesmen doing the same thing with their 1/2-tons in my state. Not entirely uncommon for territory sales reps. I spend more on fuel and maintenance in 1 year than my annual salary was when I graduated college in 1991.

I don't understand why you are being so defensive. I merely pointed out the vehicle service reminders have gone to a conditions and usage based algorithm in many vehicles and not simply a mileage counter.

But very well, I'll guess I'll get in my high flaughloutin fancy and expensive Dodge Minivan with its fancy al-go rhythms and sensors everywhere, and drop it. When someone makes it clear they have no idea what they are talking about and are hostile to learning, there really is not much more you can do.
if you wanna get all technical with your 'puter knowledge, then do so at a 'puter website..??

this is as what i at least thought was, a gun website.?

i care less about al-go rhythm's and how they work, effect or, even concern me as a car owner, a former mechanic and former truck driver.

i need not to know about al-go-rhythm's..

turn on.. the ignition and drive, park the car, turn off and lock the car.

i never asked you how an al-go rhythm works. i did not need to learn it.

and you're even trying to educate Jfal as well..?? about your technical expertise on miles, oils, PM care and such.???

I have been driving company cars/trucks for over 20 years. New one every 150-200k miles, changed jobs twice in that time, plus I've had 5 personal vehicles during that stretch. I drive about 100k miles/year. I've had 4 trucks taken out by deer, 3 taken out by system failures (all long after warranties expired)...the latest was an F-150 transmission failure, pretty common for the 10-speed 2.7L ecoboost model, I've since learned. The last three 1/2-tons have had the stupid "fuel-saving" auto shut-off with each stop feature....which I turn off immediately upon entering now (otherwise I'd have over 200 starts a day). I can't afford the time to change my oil every week or 2, since the process eats up 1/3 of a work-day. So to clarify, I have not driven each of the 18-20 vehicles to it's life-max mileage of 150-200k.

Not reading up on anything thanks...my chosen oil change intervals work for me. The transmission failure (about 10 weeks ago) is getting close to a recall for Ford. There were a host of F-150's in line to get their transmissions replaced at my dealer...wait time was quoted 8-12 weeks for the service...unrelated to oil going 12k miles. Ford has issued at least 3 service bulletins on this transmission and its problems. Got a new Chevy (with the exact same transmission I've learned).

My company has 5 employees in WI that drive just like me. Among my industry competition, there are approx 30 other salesmen doing the same thing with their 1/2-tons in my state. Not entirely uncommon for territory sales reps. I spend more on fuel and maintenance in 1 year than my annual salary was when I graduated college in 1991.
And what is this chosen interval that works for you? Cause that was my point, from your vague description you may be doing a lot of highway miles and that likely means a longer than typical recommended interval might be very appropriate.

A guess this is a concept too many folks just can't seem to grasp, conditions and type of usage is a huge factor in when periodic maintenance is needed. It doesn't only apply to cars but guns and many, many things. Cars already have a computer that track that type of usage and some of the conditions for you. But as soon as mention that, some can't get past that point... ...somehow I'm talking about just computers and fancy al-go rhythms, and since they refuse to learn about it, I somehow must be insulting them.:rolleyes:

The point is conditions and usage plays a huge factor in the interval of periodic maintenance. Track it in a notepad with a pencil, or just mentally note it and make a guestimate adjustment to the recommended interval that was recommended based off typical usage and conditions. Your conditions and usage is more severe than typical, then you'd want to reduce that interval, if your conditions and usage is less severe, like driving lots of highway miles in a short period, you could likely safely increase that interval.

The only thing computers and algorithms have to do with it, is they are just a more convenient notepad and paper tracking those conditions and usage and adjusting the interval based of the manufacturers recommendations.

On that note, when did this become a vehicle maintenance site?

Somehow we took what was already an extraordinarily boring topic, and found a way to make it even more boring. 🤣
In Old_Me defense he made a casual reference to "Service Needed" lights going off in vehicles at a certain mileage to remind you to do required periodic maintenance. Just like is needed in you firearms.

I pointed out the many of the latest vehicles have an algorithm that adjusts the maintenance interval based off usage and conditions, to segway into the same applies to firearms, you just don't have a computer tracking it for you....

i.e. the military carrying their firearms outdoors in harsh weather around the clock, sleeping with them in the dirt for a week, firing dirty blanks in them with restrictors to force them to cycle with the blanks, compared to someone carry their firearm to a range in fair weather for a couple of hours, shooting only quality FMJ ammo, one might need periodic cleaning and maintenance more often than the other.

Somehow that went off the rails into a defensive attitude, dismissing technology and claiming knowledge base is determined by age alone..... :rolleyes:

And what is this chosen interval that works for you? Cause that was my point, from your vague description you may be doing a lot of highway miles and that likely means a longer than typical recommended interval might be very appropriate.

A guess this is a concept too many folks just can't seem to grasp, conditions and type of usage is a huge factor in when periodic maintenance is needed. It doesn't only apply to cars but guns and many, many things. Cars already have a computer that track that type of usage and some of the conditions for you. But as soon as mention that, some can't get past that point... ...somehow I'm talking about just computers and fancy al-go rhythms, and since they refuse to learn about it, I somehow must be insulting them.:rolleyes:

The point is conditions and usage plays a huge factor in the interval of periodic maintenance. Track it in a notepad with a pencil, or just mentally note it and make a guestimate adjustment to the recommended interval that was recommended based off typical usage and conditions. Your conditions and usage is more severe than typical, then you'd want to reduce that interval, if your conditions and usage is less severe, like driving lots of highway miles in a short period, you could likely safely increase that interval.

The only thing computers and algorithms have to do with it, is they are just a more convenient notepad and paper tracking those conditions and usage and adjusting the interval based of the manufacturers recommendations.
Sorry, not interested.

Back