testtest

Do You Think the 1911 Is the Worst Gun for Cops?

I believe they switched over to Staccato.
Oh, I wouldn't doubt it, but up until the mid 80s there weren't a lot of other large caliber choices in a semi-auto, so the 1911 Colt Government Model in .45 caliber ruled. Today you have lots more to pick from. That's probably why many of our forum members have multiple EDC guns on hand to pick from, but even golfers have than one golf club to hit with! :)

Though definitely not an expert but do have some experience in its use in military and law enforcement. Have carried one for approximately 25 years before changing, in rotation, to a Glock 22 and a Sig 226, with no regrets. The 1911 is an excellent personal defense weapon if one can cope with the size and weight. For law enforcement use, too big, too heavy and too few rounds. Now a civilian in retirement, when out in public, I rotate between a Browning Hi-Power and a Glock 19 and don't feel the less unprotected. My current 1911's of two down from a high of eight, I only carry on my property and feel no need to carry one out in public with its physical discomforts.
I love my Browning Hi Power Practical. Not only do I love the two tone appearance it has long been regarded as one of the all time greats. But I smile every time I carry my Hellcat because it holds as many rounds as the first double stack.

I currently don’t own a 1911 and although I have purchased 3 my experience with the platform was that 1911’s are fantastic shooting guns that personally I never found that I had to adjust or change my shooting style to achieve great groupings. I’ll admit the ones I owned made me a better shooter.
My last 1911 was a Springfield Emissary 45ACP it functioned flawlessly and was a great looking handgun however it was just too darn heavy for me to carry and ended being a nightstand gun.
For LEO use the only downfall I could think of would be round capacity however I always say “you do you” and if it works then go for it.
While the weight of a 1911 is concerning to some, that’s why there are light weight versions available if you choose to carry a 1911 and weight is a concern. I have carried a Colt Combat Commander years ago, steel frame and slide, I did get me a light weight commander, made a big difference

While I have and shoot all types of handguns, my favorite is my 1911s. In my experience, you need to practice the draw getting a firm grip to off the grip safety and learn to automatically push down the thumb safety. It takes practice to do so without thinking. That and being proficient with take down and reassembling without having any extra parts left over. 😀

Last edited:
While the weight of a 1911 is concerning to some, that’s why there are light weight versions available if you choose to carry a 1911 and weight is a concern. I have carried a Colt Combat Commander years ago, steel frame and slide, I did get me a light weight commander, made a big difference
How does it work for whacking surly bartenders?

Back