testtest

Does This Gun Prove That John Moses Browning Got the 1911 Wrong?

With respect to the .45 cartridge coming into prominence in the 1911, you have to take into account who was making decisions about ordnance in the U.S. in those days. Colt's .36 caliber Paterson released in 1836 was thought to be underpowered on the American frontier. When colt started making revolvers again, what did you get but the Walker Colt hand cannon. Having a handgun that would not only kill your opponent but also his horse was a consideration, especially for cavalry. The U.S. military's experience with handguns in the Mexican American War, the Civil War, the Indian Wars, the Spanish American War, the Philippine Insurrection, and various border and law enforcement skirmishes, brought the people in charge of testing and selecting calibers to the conclusion that bigger bullets is better. That is also reflected in 45-70 and 30-06 cartridges for long arms. Based upon those experiences it was a forgone conclusion that the new handgun would be a forty-something-after all, most military folks had come up with 44 and 44 caliber handguns for the previous 45 years or so. Even today, many special warfare, and SWAT teams, opt for the big fat .45 acp. For much the same reason our British cousins opted for the .455 Webley back in the day. The 9mm cartridge and similar smaller cartridges were in vogue at the time. It should also be noted that the 9mm Hi Power was not produced until 1935, 9 years after John M. Browning's death.

I own 9mm handguns that are superb firearms that I would not feel under-armed with but will finish my days with my SIG P220 Legion or 1911 .45 as my daily carry.

I should know better than to read articles with these inflammatory titles. Even if I don't like a particular design, if it stays in production for decades and develops a cult-like following, then it is by definition a great gun. Whether its the 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Glock 19, Ruger 10-22, any of the 1894 Leverguns, or a few dozen other iconic models, none of the designers "got it wrong".

We got lots of spouting yaw-hoos here. Welcome! The Minions will be along shortly.
30E80A58-84C6-4E5D-B2B3-437919CF4880.gif

I agree with a previous comment saying it's a click bait title. Sheesh!
I think the 1911 is a revolutionary game changer in .45 format. First was the Colt SAA in .45. This was an improvement in cartridge and delivery system over the Walker Colt. When the .45 acp round came about, it was a more efficient cartridge when considering smokeless powder and another step up in the .45 evolution. There is a lot of air space in the .45 Colt case the SAA had a loading gate that required one round at a time loading, no speed loaders here folks. The 1911 delivered roughly the same ballistics as the SAA, but was thinner and could be loaded much quicker. Folks could carry multiple, fully loaded magazines for a firepower advantage over the cowpoke with cartridges stuffed in his gun belt loops. The cartridge and gun came at a perfect time for 2 world wars. Years later, it is still popular with shooting sports, police agencies and certain military groups. Decades later the 1911 was adapted to the 9 mm cartridge with mixed results. We also now have the EMP, reduced scale pistol. I think the Hi Power is a better match for 9mm, especially if consider round count alone. I like the 1911 for .45 and plastic guns for 9 personally.

And how would nine-millimeter fit into this song?

I got a shotgun rifle and a 45
This old countries going crazy
When will we wake up and see
Will we watch over our freedom
Will we just watch more tv
'Cause we keep flipping these stations
But we forgotten what this nations founded on
We gotta stand up for our rights
Before we know it we turn around and they're gone
With a whip solid tips and banana clips
I got rounds and rounds in case it all goes bad
They can't take that away
Can you believe what we've become
Did we forget where we come from
These people want to take our guns
Well if they're coming I say let em come
I got the Bill of Rights hanging in my kitchen
And Sam Crow paint by the soldiers with the flesh and ball
We got to stand up for our rights before we know it
We turn around and they'll be gone
Wake up and smell the roses yeah
What's really going on
We're fighting for our freedom
And it's happen all at once
Lord only knows what they got cooking
But Lord knows our souls ain't nothing but they're stepping stones
If we don't stand up for our rights before we know it

Yaw-Hoo!

And how would nine-millimeter fit into this song?

This old countries going crazy
When will we wake up and see
Will we watch over our freedom
Will we just watch more tv
'Cause we keep flipping these stations
But we forgotten what this nations founded on
We gotta stand up for our rights
Before we know it we turn around and they're gone
Can you believe what we've become
Did we forget where we come from
These people want to take our guns
Well if they're coming I say let em come
I got the Bill of Rights hanging in my kitchen
And Sam Crow paint by the soldiers with the flesh and ball
We got to stand up for our rights before we know it
Wake up and smell the roses yeah
What's really going on
We're fighting for our freedom
And it's happen all at once
Lord only knows what they got cooking
But Lord knows our souls ain't nothing but they're stepping stones
If we don't stand up for our rights before we know it

Yaw-Hoo!
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

I should know better than to read articles with these inflammatory titles. Even if I don't like a particular design, if it stays in production for decades and develops a cult-like following, then it is by definition a great gun. Whether its the 1911, Browning Hi-Power, Glock 19, Ruger 10-22, any of the 1894 Leverguns, or a few dozen other iconic models, none of the designers "got it wrong".
So , you are starting to see the light. 🤣

I'm an old guy and have been interested in firearms since I was in grammar school (they don't even call it that anymore). What amazes me is the sheer volume of high quality firearms available now a days compared to times past. 1911 pattern lightweight commanders have been a favorite of mine and I own a bunch. Got a few GMs too. But 9mm pistols have come a long way and so has the effectiveness of the ammunition it eats. I have a 3" EMP and a 4" EMP Concealed Carry Contour and both pistols are reliable and fun to shoot. The EMP CCC conceals very well due to the bobtail and handles well due to the effective grip surfaces. But today I left the house with an H&K USP .45 auto at my side. Nice having choices!

I'm an old guy and have been interested in firearms since I was in grammar school (they don't even call it that anymore). What amazes me is the sheer volume of high quality firearms available now a days compared to times past. 1911 pattern lightweight commanders have been a favorite of mine and I own a bunch. Got a few GMs too. But 9mm pistols have come a long way and so has the effectiveness of the ammunition it eats. I have a 3" EMP and a 4" EMP Concealed Carry Contour and both pistols are reliable and fun to shoot. The EMP CCC conceals very well due to the bobtail and handles well due to the effective grip surfaces. But today I left the house with an H&K USP .45 auto at my side. Nice having choices!
I agree with your assessment of the EMP CCC and having choices. Since Saturday I have carried both Garrisons, my CCC, Shield Plus, and my Hellcat x 2. I will admit this is not my norm but for some reason this is how it has worked out. I love all makes and models of the 1911. When I'm feeling traditional / purist I will use one of my .45's but if I'm attempting to shoot through the same hole it will be my SA Pro 9mm.

Back