testtest

Does This Gun Prove That John Moses Browning Got the 1911 Wrong?

I think that best practice would be to limit carry pistols to only two or three so that the manual of arms for each is well imbedded in muscle memory. I violate that practice all the time as I rotate many pistols regularly. The evils of a lifetime of collecting guns, I guess.
Transitioning from a double action or striker platform over to single action carried locked and cocked has a learning curve

A JMB design in 9mm is called a Browning Hi Power 🙂
Just some extra info.

JMB started the process in the design of the Hi-Power. Here's what his prototypes (one blow-back & the other locked-breach) looked like before he passes in 1926, 9 years before the Hi-Power design was finalized (locked-breach) and completed by Dieudonne Saive (who also instrumental in designed the FAL) at FNH.

1658502093743.png

The patents for the initial prototypes were issued in 1927.
1658503684934.png

The P-35 Hi-Power
1658502587315.png

1658503940590.png

FN Herstal initially named the design the "High Power", which alludes to the 13-round magazine (D. Saive developed) capacity, compared to other designs at the time. Then FNH named the pistol the "Browning" Hi-Power in his honor due to the immense contribution that JMB made to make FNH a success using his various designs after Winchester started stiffing him on the designs he had/was making to Winchester for decades.

Note: The John M. Browning Museum is located in Ogden, UT if you're ever in that area.

Last edited:
9mm 1911's have been made 80+ years.

During WW2 the Germans had 1911s (produced in Belgium by FN who held the original Browning Patent) in 9mm, and .45 acp like the Norwegian 1911 variants. Most were used by second-line German forces and wartime Belgian police. Use by the Wehrmacht was fairly limited due to regulations requiring the issue of standardized German models, but some were used by the SS who had their own arms procurement system.

9mm 1911's have been made 80+ years.

During WW2 the Germans had 1911s (produced in Belgium by FN who held the original Browning Patent) in 9mm, and .45 acp like the Norwegian 1911 variants. Most were used by second-line German forces and wartime Belgian police. Use by the Wehrmacht was fairly limited due to regulations requiring the issue of standardized German models, but some were used by the SS who had their own arms procurement system.
Good info. Aaaannnnd-the Germans made a Luger in 45ACP prior to WWI

That gun, a Star or Llama I don't recall which, was the original Jam-O-Matic.
Odd, my first 1911 was a Star in 9mm and it never jammed. What I didn't like about that gun was how the safety was too loose and didn't engage or disengage with a definite click after some initial resistance, the way my Springfield 1911 does. For that reason alone, I always carried "Israeli style" with no round in the chamber, hammer down, safety disengaged, and only once did I have to draw and shoot in an instant (A wild animal was startled by my cat sneaking out of the back door as I was taking out the garbage, and attacked her 🙀). Because I drilled drawing/charging as a single motion, I was able in a split second to shoot the wild animal before it could do any damage to my cat. Immediately after that, I invested in a Ruger P-series 9mm.

PS: I think the Jam-O-Matic nomenclature seems to have originated with Kimber a few decades ago, and the fellow I knew who was frustrated with it junked all his Kimber mags & switched to Wilson Combat, and presto! Problem solved!

I think the Jam-o-matic nomenclature started with the Marlin model 60 .22 automatic.

I have a Llama Max II 13 rd. 4” .45 ACP I bought just after the Clinton AWB for about $275. The only time it’s ever jammed was with aftermarket 10 rd. Mec Gar mags.

Why isn't there a "Disagree" icon. Are we not allowed to disagree?
If you hold down the “like” briefly you will get other choices in icons, there is no dislike icon but you can use the “wow” icon and then reply with why you disagree, remember people post their opinions on subjects so your reply should be your opinion without bashing the poster on their opinion.

Odd, my first 1911 was a Star in 9mm and it never jammed. What I didn't like about that gun was how the safety was too loose and didn't engage or disengage with a definite click after some initial resistance, the way my Springfield 1911 does. For that reason alone, I always carried "Israeli style" with no round in the chamber, hammer down, safety disengaged, and only once did I have to draw and shoot in an instant (A wild animal was startled by my cat sneaking out of the back door as I was taking out the garbage, and attacked her 🙀). Because I drilled drawing/charging as a single motion, I was able in a split second to shoot the wild animal before it could do any damage to my cat. Immediately after that, I invested in a Ruger P-series 9mm.

PS: I think the Jam-O-Matic nomenclature seems to have originated with Kimber a few decades ago, and the fellow I knew who was frustrated with it junked all his Kimber mags & switched to Wilson Combat, and presto! Problem solved!
Although it looks like a 1911, the Star B models are not 1911’s.

I think the Jam-o-matic nomenclature started with the Marlin model 60 .22 automatic.

I have a Llama Max II 13 rd. 4” .45 ACP I bought just after the Clinton AWB for about $275. The only time it’s ever jammed was with aftermarket 10 rd. Mec Gar mags.
I have a LLama Omni that I bought around 1983. It has had thousands of round through it and I can't recall it ever jamming. It's also very accurate. The D/A trigger is very smooth. It is my tackle box gun (I live in Florida ) and after Hurricane Michael I haven't been fishing for 3 years due to the large number of trees down ( and in the water) and all the debris also in the water. I remembered my LLama was under the seat of my bass boat. I found it and my heart sank. The slide was very rusty but nothing internal was rusted. I sanded and polished the slide to a high gloss and like the new two tone look. It no longer sleeps in my boat.

I think that best practice would be to limit carry pistols to only two or three so that the manual of arms for each is well imbedded in muscle memory. I violate that practice all the time as I rotate many pistols regularly. The evils of a lifetime of collecting guns, I guess.
Personally I think you're right. I've carried a variety of different firearms as my EDC. A few years ago I decided that I would only carry Da/SA either revolver or semi. Pull trigger go boom. It just so happens that I no longer own a single wonder nine or a striker fired weapon. Don't have anything against them, it's just that any of my " I'd never sell this gun" happens to have hammers (yes I'm old). I have a BHP in 40 S&W that I love and I have carried it a few times breaking my rule, but oh well, rules are made to be broken.

I'm an over the road trucker and have driven through and also stopped at the Tonopah Truck stop many times.

Transitioning from a double action or striker platform over to single action carried locked and cocked has a learning curve
I did the opposite. I went from single action ( 1911 and BHP for several years) to a D/A S/A. Having been a revolver guy for years the two different triggers didn't bother me at all. I went full circle. Wheel guns - D/A Semi - Single Action Semi - back to D/A S/A. Life is full of choices

Dillon Justice: I picked up the nickname Tonopah because of many motorcycle rides from Southern California to Tonopah, NV. We used to do those rides on the first weekend in February and rode through mining towns, desert, Trona, Goldfield and often on ice to Tonopah itself. The next day we rode back. It was kind of a challenge and was memorable.

If you hold down the “like” briefly you will get other choices in icons, there is no dislike icon but you can use the “wow” icon and then reply with why you disagree, remember people post their opinions on subjects so your reply should be your opinion without bashing the poster on their opinion.
So somebody is controlling our replies to some degree. Oh well, it's their forum.

Back