testtest

Does your edc have a wml?

I heard of a really good reason why you don't want a light mounted to your pistol: you'll need to point your gun at whoever/whatever you are trying to see; and until you know what is there, you shouldn't point your gun in that direction.
That is why a weapon light should never be your only, or main light. You use the main light to search and navigate, and weapon light for target acquisition.

On the AR home defense setup, yes. When I want/need illumination I have it with a press of the switch with what is already in my hands with no disturbance of grip and a round off in an instant if required. Not a fan of an AR in one hand and a light in the other which to me is just an opportunity to mishandle one/both. With tactical discretion, a light will not give your position away but will give temporary blindness/disorientation to a perp and at the same time identify the (potential) target, which is a major advantage. Mine has instant on/off, and strobe. With IR laser/night vision setups, no light required and what an even greater advantage. Plus its fun to run through the woods in total darkness. And the light show when that beam bounces off of wire! Other than IR, no lasers for me.

When I go to bed, I take my HELLCAT out of my holster and mount up my light. In the AM, I remove the light and re-holster.
My AR PCC's have lights mounted.
I live out in BFE and there are many times I need to go out at night. Maybe to the shop to putz or there's a noise.

I'd rather have the light and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Also, putting a strong beam of light on your adversary can disorient it.

I run a WML on my Springfield XD Mod 2 .45 but that's my nightstand home defense weapon. For EDC I don't run lights or optics on any of handguns. I have night sights on all my handguns, including my EDCs but I'm more concerned about concealment and reliability when it comes to my EDCs.

I looked on the website that day and didn't see a version with an included laser sight, either. The included holster accommodated the sight which attached to the trigger guard and the accessory rail. It also came with 2- 13 round mags instead of the 11 and 13 round mags. I didn't object.
I saw this today on their site.
1637262463344.png

Last edited:
I looked on the website that day and didn't see a version with an included laser sight, either. The included holster accommodated the sight which attached to the trigger guard and the accessory rail. It also came with 2- 13 round mags instead of the 11 and 13 round mags. I didn't object.
I saw this today on their site.
View attachment 22243

Your Hellcat HG combo may have been a distributors special order or a display model from LGS?
The Viridian E series lasers are usually are sold separate from any info have seen. However, the lasers do fit and function well.

Trying to save you a possible holster headache is all. ....The Viridian E series laser setup may work fine until trying to find a premade holster and sometimes a custom holsters, especially in leather with an OSP model with optic and laser is installed. From experience, one or the other add on can be fine, just not both with few exceptions. The E series laser can create holster issues. - Many times it's not listed by Holster mfg's.

Viridian does have a premade E Series laser Crossbreed holster for both setups at once and I think SA Store may carry a premade Crossbreed holster for the combo too, but that may be for just laser equipped HG at SA Store? Viridian usually also works out a deal for a percentage off if run across one of their discount coupons or did at one time. Combine the laser with a Hellcat OSP model other than those possibly 2 holsters? It can be "fun" locating any others.

Have found some concealed elastic holsters do work with the OSP and laser combo, but their ease of use can be limited. Hopefully, since the one experience in finding holsters for the OSP Viridian E laser combo, many holster MFG's may have changed for the better too? The Viridian Crossbreed holster will work when equipped with both or either and is both OWB and IWB so that can help with most Hellcat configurations. A Hellcat laser light combo other than Viridian E series laser may likely lead to other holster and fitment issues? The HC rail is fairly short. Experience was roughly a year ago. If all else fails, use duct tape? :)

I heard of a really good reason why you don't want a light mounted to your pistol: you'll need to point your gun at whoever/whatever you are trying to see; and until you know what is there, you shouldn't point your gun in that direction.

I see what your saying here but, for me, this is why I keep my finger off the trigger. Any gun scenario you see, read or hear about and not talking someone who barricaded themselves inside but someone robbing you or breaking into your house/car takes seconds. For one to transition from a handheld light, because what you heard is to shine a light to identify the target then if a threat has been identified raise your weapon and get on “target” you will have shots coming at you and now your looking to either distance yourself or put something in between you and the “target” whereas a WML allows the use of your weapon to be at ready, although we know we don’t point a gun at something we are not intending to shoot, but here we have a light, be it handheld or WML in the first place because we heard something, someone came at us ect.

This is where range time and gun discipline will help with those who decide to run a WML as it can be done safely. Firearms don’t go off by themselves whether they are pointed at something or not and it’s scary how quickly something happens.

I see what your saying here but, for me, this is why I keep my finger off the trigger.
Keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot is one of the rules of gun safety; not pointing the gun at something you don't intend to shoot is another. Following both of these rules gives you more assurance of avoiding an unintentional shooting than you would have if you just followed one of them. I personally would not feel comfortable pointing my gun at a possible target just so I could shine my light on that target; I would prefer to have a light separate from my gun. Thankfully I've never had to make that decision for real. If I had, perhaps I would feel differently.

Keeping your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot is one of the rules of gun safety; not pointing the gun at something you don't intend to shoot is another. Following both of these rules gives you more assurance of avoiding an unintentional shooting than you would have if you just followed one of them. I personally would not feel comfortable pointing my gun at a possible target just so I could shine my light on that target; I would prefer to have a light separate from my gun. Thankfully I've never had to make that decision for real. If I had, perhaps I would feel differently.

Depending on light placement and brightness or intensity, lights or most anything can be used defensively, offensively or distractively. Seeing who or what may come 1st. Sometimes using one, both or all may come to mind?

My EDC does not have a light or laser, I still prefer the old fashioned way and its not often I am out late at night anymore. I do have a light on my shotgun that lives inside my closet clipped to the wall. The reason I wanted one for this is simple. This is what I would grab if I woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of someone in my house. If its night I want a clear view of my intended target before I shoot.

High ready and low ready retention positions will allow you to illuminate the area and not point your WML directly at your intended target. Here is a video with additional considerations.

Thanks David, nice video. I am a big fan of the strobe mode when using it. Usually the nightstand gun would be my first choice with a handheld light, but if it sounds like multiple intruders, I would much prefer the shotgun and with the shotgun I want both hands on my weapon.

High ready and low ready retention positions will allow you to illuminate the area and not point your WML directly at your intended target. Here is a video with additional considerations.

Thanks David, very good short video. Visual examples help to clarify thoughts and ideas for many people. Bouncing, reflecting light off ceilings, floors and shiny surfaces and walls 1st can be a life saver when unsure of targets too. Just be sure of how and what direction when aiming at some surfaces like mirrors. - Could possibly blind self or make ID or location mistakes.

I carry one 100% at night and for all my home defense guns have a light/laser attached, during the day I do not always, but now that it's darker earlier I now walk out in the dark and because of this topic will add one. Holsters albeit are a little harder to find, just about everyone makes one still. Carry one, know your target, enough with this I don't want them to see me, if you pull your weapon It's all ready on, and you are the target already. Check out this video it explains better than I can.

Back