testtest

Ear Pro

I'm looking for a decent set of in-ear protection. Shoot a good amount of AR15 and the ear muffs really get in the way. Not looking to spend a fortune, but may wind up having to...
The Walker razor is a slim earmuff making shouldering a rifle a little more comfortable than using traditional wider muffs. There is a trade off using the slimmer earmuffs in having a reduced NRC rating. A quality foam earplug is better than most of the silicone in ear plugs on the market.

I've always used foam ear plugs. Never needed anything more than that. They store just about anywhere, and don't get in the way like ear muffs. That's just me though. To each his own. Shoot fun, shoot safe, and shoot straight.
Do you ever shoot indoors? Foamies aren't always enough depending on if you're shooting indoors or in an enclosed shooting station.

Hi,

I will sometimes use foam ear plugs (33db) when outdoors but usually use the Howard Leight active electronic ear muffs, especially when I'm getting instruction. When I'm indoors I will often use foam ear plugs under my ear muffs. If I'm by myself indoors I don't even turn on the electronic ear muffs just to save the battery.

I've been thinking of getting a pair of these Axil "in-ear" pro:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Hi,

Just FYI, these are my go-to foam ear plugs. They do a good job but they muffle everything while the active electronic ear muffs will suppress the really loud noises while enhancing quieter sound, like voices.

1650503697918.png

These are about $9 on Amazon.

A lot of shooters use the Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. They are OK for pistols but can get in your way when shooting long guns. Howard Leight, and others, also make passive ear muffs.

1650504115579.png

These start at about $50 on Amazon. There are more expensive models/brands with more features, blue tooth, audio inputs, etc. These are good for a class situation when you are shooting and still trying to listen for commands and instructions. With the ear muffs you might want to spring for the optional gel ear pads. They make the muffs as comfortable as they can be.

1650504499552.png

OK, I've rambled enough. I think I'll ramble on outta here. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

These plugs in the link below don't look like much but they are the best ear plugs I've ever used for comfort and hearing protection.

You need to be careful when using certain types of brands of earplugs because some types will not full expand and will allow higher decibels to make it into your ear canal. I've had an unfortunate event once where I was using a different brand of plugs in an indoor range and even though the plugs felt tight one of them had a small gap where it didn't full expand and I only noticed after an hour of shooting when I removed the plugs that I could not hear out of one ear for a few hours. When a loud noise that breaks the safe hearing threshold happens your hearing instantly goes out and you most likely won't even notice as long as you're still in the area where the excessive sound is continuing.

One more note is that using the combo of plugs and muffs together do not double the NRC reduction it only gives you a minimal gain but the real benefit is that you have two layers of protection should one layer be defective by bad design or incorrect use

Last edited:
These plugs in the link below don't look like much but they are the best ear plugs I've ever used for comfort and hearing protection.

You need to be careful when using certain types of brands of earplugs because some types will not full expand and will allow higher decibels to make it into your ear canal. I've had an unfortunate event once where I was using a different brand of plugs in an indoor range and even though the plugs felt tight one of them had a small gap where it didn't full expand and I only noticed after an hour of shooting when I removed the plugs that I could not hear out of one ear for a few hours. When a loud noise that breaks the safe hearing threshold happens your hearing instantly goes out and you most likely won't even notice as long as you're still in the area where the excessive sound is continuing.

One more note is that using the combo of plugs and muffs together do not double the NRC reduction it only gives you a minimal gain but the real benefit is that you have two layers of protection should one layer be defective by bad design or incorrect use

Agreed. I forgot all my hearing protection on one trip to the indoor range and used foam plugs purchased at the range, didn’t fit right and were basically garbage, should have just gone home. My right ear has never been the same. 🤬

The foam plugs I use are a brand I’ve used during my 30 years in manufacturing.
View attachment 26620
When shooting I use Walker’s electronic muffs over the plugs.
Those are all I've ever used. From running power saw felling timber in logging camps through out the state of AK. To grinding, cutting, and welding metals in my shop. To shooting firearms in my backyard range. 3M plugs are great hearing protection! A box will last a person or family several years! Im kind of cheep so I actually have a little plastic case for them I keep in my pants pocket and reuse a set several times before discarding.

Back