testtest

Ear protection recommendations

Razor Slim, they’re low profile for rifle use, fold down collapsible to store in bag and have sufficient db reduction even for indoor range with AR.
But then again, lost good portion on my R ear hearing due to many childhood infections. Natures permanent ear plug I guess.

And the one pair of ear pro wasn't enough? I have shot an SBR with a muzzle brake. With my electronic muffs on. My ears didn't ring or anything. They worked just fine.

Like I said, just me. You guys do you.
It’s not as bad behind the gun as it is to the side, usually, especially when the short barrel has a diverter or brake (as is often the case). Indoor range just makes it worse.

I have this same problem. Sometimes it wakes me up it seems so loud.
1656606811140.gif

This also wakes up @SimonRL at night…..😲😲😲😲

It’s not as bad behind the gun as it is to the side, usually, especially when the short barrel has a diverter or brake (as is often the case). Indoor range just makes it worse.
I agree with this, last time me and my brother was at our outdoor range, goober didn’t tell me he was going to shoot his AR, BANG!!!!! I found out real quick, as I was also by his side loading my pistol mags and wasn’t paying attention

One more reason for me to not go to indoor or public ranges I suppose. I mean there are enough other reasons, but...

I agree with this, last time me and my brother was at our outdoor range, goober didn’t tell me he was going to shoot his AR, BANG!!!!! I found out real quick, as I was also by his side loading my pistol mags and wasn’t paying attention

Did you not have your ear pro on ? I think anytime you are on a range, especially a public range, with other people in other lanes you should keep your ear pro on. Or are you saying you had it on and it was still painfully loud ?

By the way, public ranges is also a good reason to have electronic ear pro on so you can hear what's going on around you. It's easy to get off in your own little bubble when you are shooting and situational awareness can become an afterthought. Frankly I don't trust anyone and when they are armed I am hyper vigilant.

Did you not have your ear pro on ? I think anytime you are on a range, especially a public range, with other people in other lanes you should keep your ear pro on. Or are you saying you had it on and it was still painfully loud ?

By the way, public ranges is also a good reason to have electronic ear pro on so you can hear what's going on around you. It's easy to get off in your own little bubble when you are shooting and situational awareness can become an afterthought. Frankly I don't trust anyone and when they are armed I am hyper vigilant.
Had my Caldwell electronic muffs on, brother was just a few feet on my right, we were the only ones there, private club/range

So is liberally applied Vicks vapor rub....
Please do not ask how I know.
i do believe that is what many undertakers use as well.

i also recall the movie, "Silence of the lambs", and the head guy of the FBI told Agent Starling to apply some under her nose, before viewing the body in the morgue.

Last edited:
The indoor range at my club is pistols only and nothing hotter than .357 mag.
I hope your club has a rule that is more specific than that...do they limit bullet energy? bullet speed? Maybe they outline what is considered "hotter" than .357Mag...? Common .357-Mag retail cartridges shoot anywhere between 225 ft-lbs of muzzle energy all the way up to 800+ ft.-lbs, with velocities from 800fps to 1700fps. I saw one listed at 2300fps (Magsafe Swat 37-grain..smaller than a .22LR bullet). I don't think that 2300fps cartridge is common, but it's out there.

I hope your club has a rule that is more specific than that...do they limit bullet energy? bullet speed? Maybe they outline what is considered "hotter" than .357Mag...? Common .357-Mag retail cartridges shoot anywhere between 225 ft-lbs of muzzle energy all the way up to 800+ ft.-lbs, with velocities from 800fps to 1700fps. I saw one listed at 2300fps (Magsafe Swat 37-grain..smaller than a .22LR bullet). I don't think that 2300fps cartridge is common, but it's out there.
my club rules are NO magnum loads, NO rifles, no green tip (armor piercing) , no steel projectiles, no tracer bullets, no bazookas, and no LARS rockets.

ok, the bazookas and LARS rockets was over reach by me, but thems the rules.

My local indoor range also states no magnums, 10mm, or rifle rounds, also no steel case ammo, only FMC, no hollow points

My local indoor range also states no magnums, 10mm, or rifle rounds, also no steel case ammo, only FMC, no hollow points
we have a great state owned outdoor range, free to legal gun owners, that do not allow steel projectiles, tracer bullets, armor piercing either.

and all fired rounds go into a thick sand berm.

we have a great state owned outdoor range, free to legal gun owners, that do not allow steel projectiles, tracer bullets, armor piercing either.

and all fired rounds go into a thick sand berm.
My outdoor club range has really no set rules except on the handgun range, no rifle rounds on the steel targets

Yeah, I was just pointing out the "nothing hotter than .357" leaves a lot to be determined. There are plenty of .357 hotter than 10mm, and plenty of 10mm hotter than .357-Mag....

A local private club range I am looking at says nothing bigger than .45, but is that .45 Auto, colt, 45-70..? Need specificity with rules. Fortunately this club follows that rule with "no bullets can exceed 1000ft-lbs muzzle energy", which opens the door to a lot of pretty powerful pistol calibers...

Back