testtest

EDC Rotation

Jright

Alpha
Founding Member
I have been in a discussion recently where someone said it's good to be versatile and rotate your EDC weapon, I understand weather, situation and circumstances can be a variable. Another party took the side of stick with one and train train train. What do you all think?

I normally practice with both of my pistols (XD Mod2, XDS) at the range, but only cc IWB the XDS 3.3 9mm. Single stack is a tad thinner than the dbl stack.

Well, I'm guilt of rotating between several of my small potential carry pistols, but at the very least, I get some range time with each before using them as an EDC. However with that being said, I can't/won't argue with the premise that extensive training with only one EDC handgun, builds up "Muscle Memory" that makes one perficent with that weapon. Swapping back an forth would defeat this advantage.

Stick with one and train. If it's one you can conceal in with your year round wardrobe, i tihnk the advantages of being familiar with your gun and training with just one outweigh the benefits of multiple guns. Now, if its a compact and full size version of the same gun, that might change the math on it a bit ....

I practice pretty regularly with my lc9s, shield 2.0 with crimson trace and don't laugh but I use my .380 bodyguard also. The heavy trigger on the bodyguard and small grip was challenging at first but now I can hit a paper plate size target consistently at 30ft with it because of regular practice.
The other two in rotation I can hit a baseball at 50ft mostly consistent.

Stick with one and train. If it's one you can conceal in with your year round wardrobe, i tihnk the advantages of being familiar with your gun and training with just one outweigh the benefits of multiple guns. Now, if its a compact and full size version of the same gun, that might change the math on it a bit ....
I like your point of having "if it's one you can conceal with your year round wardrobe". I wonder if lots of people just like having the available of having multiple options. I like to think of it from a more practical point of what am I willing to defend my life and family.

I practice pretty regularly with my lc9s, shield 2.0 with crimson trace and don't laugh but I use my .380 bodyguard also. The heavy trigger on the bodyguard and small grip was challenging at first but now I can hit a paper plate size target consistently at 30ft with it because of regular practice.
No problem with the .380. I like shooting my wife's M&P .380 EZ. I've thought about buying one for myself, and an IWB holster for some occasional carry.

That's nice shooting hitting a baseball at 50ft.

No problem with the .380. I like shooting my wife's M&P .380 EZ. I've thought about buying one for myself, and an IWB holster for some occasional carry.

That's nice shooting hitting a baseball at 50ft.
That's why I said mostly consistent I do have a few fliers occasionally but not to far off.😁

Everything I have seen says to stay with one gun. I haven't been in a gunfight, but I can imagine that in the heat of the moment, it would be much preferred to have a gun that you can run without thinking about it. Don't know that I will ever get to that point, though :(.

Love the Bodyguard its remarkably accurate. A friend and I set up a target at 100ft just messing around and kept all the rounds on target. Granted, the group was anything but tight, but it performed better than either of us expected.

I agree, if not the same gun the same manual of arms. Remember one loses fin motor skills under stress.

Reminds me of this video:
Had the gun been a single action it might have turned out different.
I suppose it could also have been why he emptied it, force of habit.

I own several nice handguns, and it's great fun to take them to the range and shoot. When the subject turns to defending lives, I stick with one weapon, XD S 9mm. On my next range visit, it will exceed 4,000 rounds without a single hitch. That's the confidence and the performance I want on my hip! Good shooting.

Carry (2).jpg
Weather Rotation

Top 2 the 9 months of gulf coast summer
Bottom 2 the 3 months or so of gulf coast winter

I rotate a few handguns, most H&K's. On very rare occasions I will drag out a 1911 only because I am not confident of a gun with a safety. This is a discussion for another day but if a Master Shooter in USPSA (seen it) can forget the safety under the stress of a match, how about the stress of a self defense situation? While my H&K's and Sig are of different sizes they all are just grab and shoot. Plus I practice with all of them.

I have been in a discussion recently where someone said it's good to be versatile and rotate your EDC weapon, I understand weather, situation and circumstances can be a variable. Another party took the side of stick with one and train train train. What do you all think?

First of all, in my opinion EVERYONE should train, train, train regardless.

For people who are new to guns and maybe not as well trained as some of us I think the stick to the one gun thing is a good idea. I personally do not subscribe to that, but I have been training with handguns and shotguns for a very long time and I train with all the guns I carry. I carry different guns depending on the weather, where I'm going and just what I feel like carrying that day. For work, where concealment is paramount, I carry a Shield PC .40 because it is very concealable. It's also very accurate and I train with it a lot. I almost never carry it outside of work though. I prefer a full size or nearly full size pistol and more capacity.

I rotate a few handguns, most H&K's. On very rare occasions I will drag out a 1911 only because I am not confident of a gun with a safety. This is a discussion for another day but if a Master Shooter in USPSA (seen it) can forget the safety under the stress of a match, how about the stress of a self defense situation? While my H&K's and Sig are of different sizes they all are just grab and shoot. Plus I practice with all of them.
This is me, on carry guns with safety’s. If one wants to carry one with it, train with it. Repetition is key here. Drills with the draw and knocking the safety off is paramount. My concern for one carrying with a safety is the possibility of it getting knocked on in a fight or rolling around on the ground and you having the opportunity to shoot and it not going off due to the safety being engaged. A good holster that covers the trigger guard and range time/training is what is needed. This is one of those, to each their own deals, I know.

A good video showing why training and possibly a gun without a true flip switch safety may not be a good idea.

taken in South Africa. Bad guy pulls up, pulls a gun and homeowner pulls gun and shoots first. How the bad guy is not dead is amazing, considering the shots were 10 feet. This is why you train !!! Not just at a stationary paper target !!!

(guy gets out of car and car drives away because steering wheel is on the right side with a driver in car)

Back