testtest

Entry-level AR-15?

I wanted to move to a suppressed pistol like an MP5/SP5 platform....maybe a CZ Scorpion, for home defense. I didn't want to go deaf shooting a supersonic 9mm (or god forbid my 5.56) if it came to it...until I started looking at the time and money involved in a suppressor. I shoulda got one them fuel filters before they were all shut down by the ATF!
I know some people keep their ear pro by their SD weapon. Too much stuff to think about with not enough time if you ask me. There's always auditory exclusion.

"Auditory exclusion can have a protective purpose too. In situations like combat, where the noise created by gunfire or explosions is loud enough to cause significant damage, an individuals hearing can be suppressed or muted to the point where they are unaware of the severity of the noise until afterwards. Consequently, minimising any damage to the individual's hearing"

Also worth knowing. Once you start down that Form 1 path you have opened a whole other can of worms. You will not be able to cross state lines without written perm to do so from ATF.
Just be aware of All the pros and cons.
Monkey, you mean crossing state lines with the Form 1 firearm, or every crossing? I cross a state line every day for work, sometimes twice (meaning 4 crossings). Would certainly mean I could not do the Form 1 path without finding a different job...

I hear you on suppressors. My buddy just got his approved last week. Took 1 full year to the exact week for the approval to come through. $1200 ($980 + tax, + $200 to govt.) later, he has his suppressor. I seriously considered one that could interchange between rifles, but for that kind of wait and money, forget it.
Avg efile on suppressors from retail purchase is 86-106 days. Buddy just got his in 79 days

Sorry to everyone for sidetracking the thread...thanks Bob.
I don't think it's sidetracked. This is all good information for someone new to the platform.
My ATF info pertains to new and seasoned shooters alike. I have many suppressors and SBR’s permitted.
You’d be surprised on the amount of rifle owners who had no clue of SBR and suppressor ability with ATF .
If anything, it starts one on the path of research for the pros and cons for themselves. ATF forms are actually quite simple

The only thing I would add, I would get the complete lower but with pistol brace. That way you could build the top however you want. Short barrel, carbine, full length. But, if you start with a rifle receiver, it must always be a rifle, nothing under 16" . It just opens up flexibility in the build.
Brand new lowers either complete with brace/stock or stripped are all legally classified as ”other" in the eyes of the federal government. The issue that I heard is that some LGS's will complete the background check form giving the complete lower a designation of rifle or pistol instead of other which can really muck up the potential legalities of your lower.

With a lower that was bought new with the ”other" classification you can legally 100% disassemble and reassemble the lower to either a pistol or rifle as many times as you like.

I have previously posted a link from the ATF's website on this topic in a different thread explaining the process in full detail.

My ATF info pertains to new and seasoned shooters alike. I have many suppressors and SBR’s permitted.
You’d be surprised on the amount of rifle owners who had no clue of SBR and suppressor ability with ATF .
If anything, it starts one on the path of research for the pros and cons for themselves. ATF forms are actually quite simple
I had your information in mind when I typed that KF. It's all great info for someone unfamiliar with the platform and the laws surrounding it. THe more information the OP has the more informed choices he can make.

Brand new lowers either complete with brace/stock or stripped are all legally classified as ”other" in the eyes of the federal government. The issue that I heard is that some LGS's will complete the background check form giving the complete lower a designation of rifle or pistol instead of other which can really muck up the potential legalities of your lower.

With a lower that was bought new with the ”other" classification you can legally 100% disassemble and reassemble the lower to either a pistol or rifle as many times as you like.

I have previously posted a link from the ATF's website on this topic in a different thread explaining the process in full detail.

So when you buy a complete pistol lower from say Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, your FFL isn't obligated to list it as a pistol lower on the 4473 ?

Best bang for the buck I would go PSA.

They have a plethora of options, are very reasonably priced, and have a lifetime warranty.

Pick the one that speaks to you.
I have a few PSA uppers and though they do feel solid they also feel way heavier than uppers from companies like Aero Precision.

For a first time AR buyer I'd recommend buying a complete rifle from a major manufacturer with a great warranty to avoid complications.

So when you buy a complete pistol lower from say Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore, your FFL isn't obligated to list it as a pistol lower on the 4473 ?
No it's classified as other. Only firearms that are fully barreled and completed from a manufacturer are legally classified as the manufacturers designation of pistol or rifle.

I have a few PSA uppers and though they do feel solid they also feel way heavier than uppers from companies like Aero Precision.

For a first time AR buyer I'd recommend buying a complete rifle from a major manufacturer with a great warranty to avoid complications.
B138423E-75CC-4C55-8D66-A515A938261E.gif

I know some people keep their ear pro by their SD weapon. Too much stuff to think about with not enough time if you ask me. There's always auditory exclusion.

"Auditory exclusion can have a protective purpose too. In situations like combat, where the noise created by gunfire or explosions is loud enough to cause significant damage, an individuals hearing can be suppressed or muted to the point where they are unaware of the severity of the noise until afterwards. Consequently, minimising any damage to the individual's hearing"
I keep a set of electronic earpro with my HD firearm at my bedside. The electronic earpro also has the added benefit of enhanced noise detection as well.

I keep a suppressed .300blk firearm at my bedside with 30 rounds of 240gr subsonic in the mag.

My first AR was a completed from a manufacturer, off the shelf Adams Arms. Shortly after I got it I figured out that it was an Anderson lower. Which means the only thing that was different from one I would have built myself is the upper. I haven't bought a completed lower since. I would think buying a stripped lower from Aero and a completed upper from Aero might be a real good way for a guy to step into a nice quality rifle and learn how to complete a lower at the same time.

Back