testtest

Entry-level AR-15?

Hi all, question … have several handguns, now looking to purchase entry-level AR-15. Looking at Springfield and Sig. Retired Navy CDR, so not much shooting in the past, as we only qualified occasionally and with a .45 in the old days, in recent times a 9mm. Looking at spending less than $1000. Older guy with older eyes, so might need a good sight. Any help/guidance/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks and V/R,
Ron

I second PSA, I built my own using an Anderson lower. I order a palmetto lower parts kit and complete upper. They have crazy deals sometimes and I think if the rumor is true some of them come with overstock FN barrels. Look for the complete upper with CHF in title. My runs great but I will be swapping charging handle.

For under a 1000 it’s probably the way to go. Plus if you build your own you can get the lower and mags, then wait for one of their crazy deals, 4th of July, for complete upper. Might save a little more.

Hi all, question … have several handguns, now looking to purchase entry-level AR-15. Looking at Springfield and Sig. Retired Navy CDR, so not much shooting in the past, as we only qualified occasionally and with a .45 in the old days, in recent times a 9mm. Looking at spending less than $1000. Older guy with older eyes, so might need a good sight. Any help/guidance/thoughts appreciated.

Thanks and V/R,
Ron
Springfield Saint B5
Sig M400 tread

Ruger, PSA and Smith &Wesson are rattle traps.
Spend $100-200 over a Ruger or PSA and get a Sig or Springfield.
You’ll thank me later

Edit: i’ve used all 5 in my post and about 4 brands more. For entry level good quality, go with Sig or SA

You can find the M400 Tread on sale for about $850 right now. Comes with some upgraded furniture, ambi controls, and a stainless steel barrel.

I too would vote either Sig or Springfield.

$850.00

$800.00

Personally, i'd spend the extra $50 on the Sig. Much better features for only fifty extra bucks.

As for sights... you can find a Sig Romeo MSR red dot on sale for $70.00 on Palmetto State Armory right now if you are looking for something cheap but reliable.

Last edited:
You can build your own from PSA and have enough left over for an optic with that budget. Or you could buy an IWI Zion or a Voodoo Innovations Witch Doctor in the $700 range. I haven't had a chance to shoot a Zion, but I own a Witch Doctor and it's a good rifle. The only mods I did to it was changed the grip to a Magpul.

Besides the ones I used in military I owned a few thru the years. The best one I have ever had has been the Springfield Saint. Don't know what they are going for now but this rifle has never given me a problem. Whatever you do stay away from Ruger AR's. Nothing but trouble.

I started with the ABC's Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt, forever ago. Things have changed, improvements have been made. I gotta say, PSA has the best bang for the buck, excellent customer service and something for every budget. Try to stick with mil spec vs commercial. Better compatibility ratio.

The only thing that rattles on my M&P15-2 is the sling clip. And aside from my attempt to save money with remanufactured ammo, it has been fail-proof.

Buy cheap and accessorize to suit or buy what you want ready- built for a bit more. I would advise you to read up on desirable features so you will know what you think you want. I dislike some of the features bargain guns have. Then I think about what it would cost me to upgrade them to what I find acceptable. I am more inclined to search for guns that have what I want. I also have no interest in building my own because at some point, I would probably sell it. A home built gun would be unlikely to recoup my costs.

Back