testtest

Ever heard of guns firing in a fire?

Caro

Elite
There’s an article in the paper about a gun discharging during a house fire... supposedly it was loaded and just chilling by itself in the house.

A firefighter got shot with said discharged round and is now fighting for his life.

Can this really happen? I’ve heard of ammo popping in camp fires. But discharging by itself in a gun?

If it gets hot enough.

Actually, would be MORE dangerous if chambered, since that would direct the bullet as if it were being fired. Bullets in a campfire, the casing simply explodes (weak link). Still not a happy thing to have happen (shrapnel sucks)...but less lethal than a bullet being "fired" at you.

If it gets hot enough.

Actually, would be MORE dangerous if chambered, since that would direct the bullet as if it were being fired. Bullets in a campfire, the casing simply explodes (weak link). Still not a happy thing to have happen (shrapnel sucks)...but less lethal than a bullet being "fired" at you.

Wow. I guess I never thought about that before.

Here’s the story:

If it gets hot enough.

Absolutely correct.

Ammo in boxes/magazine is pretty harmless in fires; a chambered round, though...no difference between it going off due to heat or from a primer; if you’re in direct line in front of the bore...it's gonna hurt.

I have been burning trash piles before and had unknown ammo fire off. Very scary sensation that leaves me diving for cover.
Had that happen with .22 shells on occasion; would throw duds in my burn barrel when I lived more rurally.

Never had one even even dent the side, though...all it will do is split the casing or just push the bullet out far enough to vent.

Did toss a .410 dud in one time—that sounded like a handful of sand hitting the barrel...still no damage.

I've seen people throw black cat fireworks in a campfire, that was dangerous enough.
Reminds me of campfire 'rockets'. Wooden matches with a twist of aluminum foil on the tip. Angle it up on a rock and when the match ignites it turns into a rocket. I guess its the Lawn Dart of camp fires...second to pine cones.

Last edited:
Reminds me of campfire 'rockets'. Wooden matches with a twist of aluminum foil on the tip. Angle it up on a rock and when the match ignites it turns into a rocket. I guess its the Lawn Dart of camp fires...second to pine cones.

We cad weld magnesium ( powder) anodes to steel gas mains for cathodic protection. We also have solid 1lb magnesium anodes we attach to tracer wires. They also work great attached to chain link fences for rust protection. They also work great in bonfires. :)

When I was teen a black cat flew out of campfire (I didn't put them in there) and hit me where my nose meets the cheekbone, it put two instant second degree burns upon my face and felt like someone had punched me as hard as they could in the face.

I'm lucky it didn't hit me in the eye.

When I was a kid, we used to play army with bottle rockets. Take a Bic pen, remove the ink carrier, put the bottle rocket in the casing and shoot them at each other. Boy, do I miss the good old days...

And Lawn Darts - we called them Jarts. They were pretty dangerous, but lots of fun.

When I was a kid, we used to play army with bottle rockets. Take a Bic pen, remove the ink carrier, put the bottle rocket in the casing and shoot them at each other. Boy, do I miss the good old days...

And Lawn Darts - we called them Jarts. They were pretty dangerous, but lots of fun.
Proud veteran of the infamous BB gun wars here! lol

Back