testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Agreed. And I think the EGW takes a paper clip/staple.. which, is not tool less IMO :). Better than a 2 piece, yes.
Or there’s the 10-8 solution which lets you use a GI guide rod. That will work on both.
29E8EE77-FB7E-4A48-A752-025B32E09BC4.jpeg

7FFA9F83-B64F-46EC-84DB-4C057C9B0F84.jpeg

Regarding Fedex, i guess it depends on your local hub. An ammo retailer emailed me a Fedex return label, I packed up an entire case or 500 rounds of .308 ammo and taped the label to the box. Dropped it off at Fedex, no questions asked and it arrived at the retailer 4 days later.

Oh, then I guess my inbound 17xxx was part of the first run….so scratch my thought on getting a newer one.
Scratch that. I assumed the pic on the website was the actual gun. I picked up mine tonight and it’s a 51xxx, so brand new production. I’ll manually cycle a 1000x or so and get on the range next week. The thing is sweet looking and feeling; hopefully it shoots like it looks and feels.

So I went to the range with my new Prodigy 4.25 and put 200 round through it. It is a serial #51xxx, so a very recent build. I hand cycled it about a 1000x cleaning every 300 or so to get the cerakote out, and dry fired a couple of hundred. The trigger measured at just over 3.5lbs after the dry firing, with a very small amount of creep.

Bottom line: The pistol is phenomenal. Super fast, feels great, trigger is about as good as it gets on a production pistol.

100 rounds of Blazer 124 and 100 rounds of 124 S&B with no failures, using both magazines. I’ll have to shoot some defensive ammo through it to verify reliability, but it is great so far. The only thing I don’t like so far is the slide release, as it’s difficult to get to. I don’t think anything else needs to be changed. The guide rod is no big deal to disassemble, so I’m not worried about messing with changing that out. I’ll probably add an optic and maybe a light if I decide this should be the home defense pistol, unseating the P229 and M&P Metal. If it stays reliable, it’ll get that role.

It’s hard to imagine a better pistol out of the box at this point, I’m super happy.

So I went to the range with my new Prodigy 4.25 and put 200 round through it. It is a serial #51xxx, so a very recent build. I hand cycled it about a 1000x cleaning every 300 or so to get the cerakote out, and dry fired a couple of hundred. The trigger measured at just over 3.5lbs after the dry firing, with a very small amount of creep.

Bottom line: The pistol is phenomenal. Super fast, feels great, trigger is about as good as it gets on a production pistol.

My Dan Wesson Guardian trigger has no creep. My two Tisas 1911s triggers have no creep. My Rock Island double stack 1911 trigger has no creep (and is somewhere around 3 - 3.5# - I can't remember exactly now). My Canik Rivals triggers have no creep (and are both at 3.0# or just slightly under).

If you have it that well broken in and you can feel some trigger creep, I wouldn't really agree that the trigger is as good as it gets on a production pistol. And all the ones I mentioned of mine cost less than a Prodigy. Except for the DW, they all cost quite a bit less than a Prodigy. My DW was just under $1400, new, when I bought it.

My Dan Wesson Guardian trigger has no creep. My two Tisas 1911s triggers have no creep. My Rock Island double stack 1911 trigger has no creep (and is somewhere around 3 - 3.5# - I can't remember exactly now). My Canik Rivals triggers have no creep (and are both at 3.0# or just slightly under).

If you have it that well broken in and you can feel some trigger creep, I wouldn't really agree that the trigger is as good as it gets on a production pistol. And all the ones I mentioned of mine cost less than a Prodigy. Except for the DW, they all cost quite a bit less than a Prodigy. My DW was just under $1400, new, when I bought it.
You’re welcome to your opinion. I’ll say it’s as good a production trigger as I have felt. I know they vary widely on this pistol and I lucked out. Lots of people say their triggers have no creep, and I pick it up and it is absolutely there, so people differ in what they discern.

My Prodigy has a great trigger and I would certainly agree that if you get a dialed in Prodigy the trigger is on par with some very high end pistols. But I would expect that because it’s typical 1911. Mine was down to 3.5 lbs within no time and has since dropped below 3 and I feel is everything that was expected when SA announced it.

Personally, I don’t mind a little bit of creep - particularly on a striker fired gun - because I like to stage my trigger, but trigger feel is so subjective. People rave about the Caniks and Walthers and even some of the HKs. I have several Walthers and HKs and personally I don’t share that enthusiasm, but it’s all good because people like what they like - which is what makes the world go round.

You’re welcome to your opinion. I’ll say it’s as good a production trigger as I have felt. I know they vary widely on this pistol and I lucked out. Lots of people say their triggers have no creep, and I pick it up and it is absolutely there, so people differ in what they discern.

Others don't have creep. Yours does.

My Rivals have no creep. My Canik Mete MC9 definitely does have a little creep.

That is the nature of mass-produced pistols. Yours and the next guy's won't necessarily be identical.

Maybe the difference is your discernment versus another's persons. Or maybe there really is a difference. Being mass-produced, I'm guessing there IS some difference.

I discern creep in my MC9. A very tiny amount. I don't in my other pistols that I mentioned.

Yes, it is my opinion that if a production pistol has discernable creep then it is not "as good as it gets on a production pistol" as I have several production pistols that have no discernable (to me, obviously) creep.

I have dry-fired some Walthers and CZs and Sigs in the LGS. Not a single one of them has had a trigger that felt as good as the out-of-the-box trigger on my Rival or my Rival-S. Some have been pretty darn good. But, when it comes down to the last 1%, they just aren't quite as good as my Rivals. Usually, the difference is those others having just a little creep, versus none.

Others don't have creep. Yours does.

My Rivals have no creep. My Canik Mete MC9 definitely does have a little creep.

That is the nature of mass-produced pistols. Yours and the next guy's won't necessarily be identical.

Maybe the difference is your discernment versus another's persons. Or maybe there really is a difference. Being mass-produced, I'm guessing there IS some difference.

I discern creep in my MC9. A very tiny amount. I don't in my other pistols that I mentioned.

Yes, it is my opinion that if a production pistol has discernable creep then it is not "as good as it gets on a production pistol" as I have several production pistols that have no discernable (to me, obviously) creep.

I have dry-fired some Walthers and CZs and Sigs in the LGS. Not a single one of them has had a trigger that felt as good as the out-of-the-box trigger on my Rival or my Rival-S. Some have been pretty darn good. But, when it comes down to the last 1%, they just aren't quite as good as my Rivals. Usually, the difference is those others having just a little creep, versus none.
Great story. If you’re at the range I’ll let you feel my trigger. If not, then I’ll offer it as my opinion based on the off the shelf triggers I have used and felt and my comparison to all of those as reference. Your opinion on my trigger that you have not pulled differs, and that’s ok.

Great story. If you’re at the range I’ll let you feel my trigger. If not, then I’ll offer it as my opinion based on the off the shelf triggers I have used and felt and my comparison to all of those as reference. Your opinion on my trigger that you have not pulled differs, and that’s ok.

I would love to try a Prodigy! And let you try any of my inventory as well.

I'm in Lexington (SC). If you're nearby and want to meet up at PSA or Panteao or anywhere else nearby, drop me a PM!

I would love to try a Prodigy! And let you try any of my inventory as well.

I'm in Lexington (SC). If you're nearby and want to meet up at PSA or Panteao or anywhere else nearby, drop me a PM!
That’d be cool! I live in Virginia but go back “home” to Carolina when I can for ballgames. I’m going to try to get down for another baseball game or two this season.

That’d be cool! I live in Virginia but go back “home” to Carolina when I can for ballgames. I’m going to try to get down for another baseball game or two this season.

LOL! I moved down here from Manassas 2 years ago. If you're coming down and want to meet, let me know!

LOL! I moved down here from Manassas 2 years ago. If you're coming down and want to meet, let me know!
I live in Haymarket, so almost in your old neighborhood…you probably saw but Elite shut down this month (bought by the county) so I lost my local range.

I live in Haymarket, so almost in your old neighborhood…you probably saw but Elite shut down this month (bought by the county) so I lost my local range.

I did see that. That sucks. The only other place I ever shot up there was the NRA range and at my gunsmith's house, out in Marshall. Fortunately for you, the NRA range is not THAT much more of a drive from Haymarket than going to Elite.

I’m a bit of a trigger snob so I’m told. And no…I’ve never shot a high end 1911 to be clear.
I’ve shot plenty of other pistols, hammer and striker fired.
Mostly striker fired until December when I got my Prodigy and a month plus ago when I got my Staccato.
For triggers…my list.
4 range/target guns.
2 striker, 2 hammer/2011 style.

My Sig X5 Legion trigger is the best trigger on a striker fired I ever shot. Not factory, Sig Armorer kit.
Travel, wall, break and reset are simply amazing. It’s a stupid easy gun to shoot.
My Rival S with upgraded return spring, striker spring, plunger spring (all springco) is better than any other striker fired I’ve had as well, from Ghost glocks to Apex M&P to a recent Overwatch comp kit in my now sold S&W Competitor. It’s 80 to 90% as good as my X5. That Rival S just shoots.

My Prodigy from the factory was ok. Not great, just ok. I tuned the sear spring to a good 3 to 3.5lb pull after getting it back from SA. I went EGW kit and it’s now just a hair above 2lb with a clean break, reset. It’s the best trigger I have in all my pistols.
My Staccato P, is 100% bone stock, I got the factory sear spring adjustment down To 2.5lb, with just north of 1K rounds, it’s settled in/broken in nicely. It’s my favorite to shoot. Most consistent for me, easy, eats everything and zero problems from the first round to the last few last night. All three others in this list had a few growing pains, but have been trouble free for thousands of rounds since.

That being said..each shooters definition of a good trigger is just that, their own…until they shoot something better :)
Enjoy what you have fellas. That’s what counts.

Moving on from micro-analysis of trigger snobbery....😂

After having the OEM two-piece guide rod loosen up on me during every range session so far, I'm switching it out for the 10-8 GI guide rod and spring plug, and a #13 WC recoil spring on my Prodigy Commander. Will report back as soon as I can get to the range.

I really wish Springfield would ditch the two-piece guide rod across the board (not just on the Prodigy). I don't see a single advantage to it.

Last edited:
Moving on from micro-analysis of trigger snobbery....😂

After having the OEM two-piece guide rod loosen up on me during every range session so far, I'm switching it out for the 10-8 GI guide rod and spring plug, and a #13 WC recoil spring on my Prodigy Commander. Will report back as soon as I can get to the range.

I really wish Springfield would ditch the two-piece guide rod across the board (not just on the Prodigy). I don't see a single advantage to it.
I just put my 10-8 guide rod back in because I think it’s the nicest looking option.

Back