testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Is that the one that uses Sig P320 mags? I really like the looks of that pistol if it works.
The 2311 that Oracle Arms introduced at this years Shot Show, will use P320 magazines

Man! Dan Wesson really shot themselves in the foot. They announced the DWX, which is basically a 2011 using CZ mags, but then got screwed by COVID and couldn't get it to market for an extra 2 years. That gave everyon else the good idea and time to catch up, and now Oracle is making a 2011 that uses Sig mags. Plus, 2 more (at least) 2011s came out that use 2011 mags, but at a more affordable price (the Prodigy and the Girsan).

I just need Canik or Tisas to make a 2011 that uses Canik mags. And is sized down to be 9mm-specific, with no beavertail safety - like a Wilson Combat SFX9.

I’m waiting to see that Girsan 2311 as well, shot show video said 999 price tag. Optic ready.
I believe it will take the common 2011 mags, I hope so.

The 2311 that Oracle Arms introduced at this years Shot Show, will use P320 magazines

YES!!! I have a bunch of P320 mags, so this one is the one that really interests me.

JUST ANOTHER 9MM?---N O T SO!--
The trigger...short of a custom trigger, you will NOT find another on a 9MM like this.
Feels good in the hand, and shoots like a dream...worth every dollar!

While it's true that the Prodigy intro hasn't been without its problems I don't think you should overlook it. It offers unmatched value in the 2011 offerings and it seems that the problems have been addressed and most new Prodigies are coming through trouble free now.

Not many new models are without teething pains at first. What you do have with the Prodigy is a company which stands behind their product and will fix it is there is one. Those that have had to return theirs for warranty work are reporting that SA took care of the problems and they are happy with their pistol.

Remember, you generally only hear about the problems and for every reported problem there are more who have none and are happy with their Prodigy.

If Staccato is out of your price range and BUL Armory is unavailable (plus BUL only has a 1 year warranty), then a Prodigy with a lifetime warranty is your best bet.
Thanks for that insight. After agonizing for months, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Prodigy. Serial number is 17xxx, so I assume that is a newer build, and hopefully one that’s good to go from the factory. Glad to hear the new ones seem to be running better from day one. I can’t wait to get it in hand. It’s my first 1911 style platform of any type other than my 1911-22.

Thanks for that insight. After agonizing for months, I pulled the trigger and ordered a Prodigy. Serial number is 17xxx, so I assume that is a newer build, and hopefully one that’s good to go from the factory. Glad to hear the new ones seem to be running better from day one. I can’t wait to get it in hand. It’s my first 1911 style platform of any type other than my 1911-22.
Just keep in mind since this is your first 1911 of any kind that 1911s in general can be fickle and often require some patience on the end users part. They’re not like a polymer striker fired gun in practically any way, particularly take down and reassembly and most polymer guns will shoot just about anything while 1911s can be very particular about ammo - particularly JHPs. My Prodigy has run perfectly since day one, but even so there are certain JHPs like Sig Sauer V-Crown that it just doesn’t like. I would recommend that your fist couple hundred rounds you use 124 gr rounds. While you’re at it, look up 1911 idiot scratch. This is not such an issue with the Prodigy but it doesn’t hurt to be aware. Enjoy your new Prodigy it is a fantastic gun. And welcome to the venerable 1911 club.

Mine (Commander length) was serial 22xxx and bought new in December.. FYI.

My 4.25” serial starting 16 was fine. I did install a tool less guide rod. Had some failures to feed on the 17rd mags which fed fine in my C2. Waiting on a Platypus now to try (2011 that takes Glock mags)

Mine (Commander length) was serial 22xxx and bought new in December.. FYI.
Bought my 5" Prodigy on the day of the promotion and was there for the Safe Opening 9/3/22 (My LGS was one of the hundred or so Official SA Dealers.) I looked at the serial number and thought "How many of these were made for the first day of purchase?", as mine was in the 18nnn SN# range.

Bought my 5" Prodigy on the day of the promotion and was there for the Safe Opening 9/3/22 (My LGS was one of the hundred or so Official SA Dealers.) I looked at the serial number and thought "How many of these were made for the first day of purchase?", as mine was in the 18nnn SN# range.
Oh, then I guess my inbound 17xxx was part of the first run….so scratch my thought on getting a newer one.

Oh, then I guess my inbound 17xxx was part of the first run….so scratch my thought on getting a newer one.
Well, I think only Springfield knows for sure. Maybe when problems were reported, they held some back, corrected the issues than shipped ones such as yours back out to their dealers. I think the only way to find out is to shoot yours and see what's what. Maybe yours will be issue free. Good luck with it, it's a fine pistol for sure.

Picked up a 4.25” last week and took it to the range this weekend. I shot 174 rounds of winchester and Federal ranging from 115gr to 147gr. most interesting takeaway for me was that I was significantly more accurate with the prodigy than with my Sig P320. As far as functioning, I have 11 malfunctions. Mostly FTF with a single failure to return to battery. All the FTF’s were with factory mags. I also had a Staccato 20rd mag. It ran well with no FTF. It was with the Staccato mag and Federal HST 124gr. +P JHP that I had my failure to return to battery. The only other issues I noticed is that out of the box the Mag release worked only intermittently and was constantly getting stuck. I also experienced the slide hanging up on the disconnector. Before I shot the gun I field stripped it and cleaned/ lubed it. I had no issues with the mag release at the range. I’ve sent an email to Springfield’s warranty dept. Just waiting on a response.
E1566E5A-3803-4DC5-AF72-C08463279A26.jpeg

Mgar, as someone who went through the SA warranty process… call them.
I sent an email that to this day, never got answered.
I called them Monday morning and had an RMA label within 10 minutes.

After reading about multiple issues like Mgar64’s I decided to bypass all the headaches and got a Staccato. Buy once and cry once I guess.

Back