testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

Do you think your original response helped the person who asked to understand that?
I provided the simple answer, based on what I actually care about in terms of a definition and how I see the term being commonly used in the vernacular, without getting into a bunch of semantic hair-splitting. Whether that was helpful or not for the person asking the question, I don't know - that is for them to determine.

Regardless, you have now provided a much more in-depth series of definitions based on a variety of contexts - hopefully the person now has a much better understanding of what a poorly-defined term it is, and how silly it is that it is trademarked. ;)

I love this firearm but started experiencing the same failure to feed/chamber that so many others are dealing with. I had a few theories but decided to take it to a well known expert gunsmith that specializes in 1911's. It took him about 30 seconds to point out what he believes is the problem. I'll try to explain this the best I can so bare with me. He disassembled the pistol, removing the barrel from the upper slide. He then took the barrel and sat it in the lower receiver. He immediately pointed out that the feed ramp on the barrel was not flush with the frame. The ramp was bumped out a noticeable amount from where the magwell meets the feed ramp. He explained that this was causing the pistol to have issues feeding/chamber. We both were kind of shocked...if this is the reason so many are having the same malfunctions he speculated that an entire run of the prodigy's could have been cut incorrectly causing the poor barrel to frame fitment. He made the call to one of his contacts at springfield on 10/19/22 and I'm waiting to hear back, probably in the next few days.

Ehh…
All sodas are a Coke
All bandages are a Band Aid
All double stack 1911’s are a 2011
😉
6655E3B8-A99E-4934-9FE5-72DCD66D6378.gif

The person you were responding to said this:

Do you not get how your initial response didn't really answer his question?

Obviously, what is a "2011" depends a lot on the context. Sometimes, 2011 means any double stack 1911. Sometimes, it means any of them that have a 2-piece grip/frame and use 2011 mags. Sometimes, it means an actual pistol (frame) from STI.

Do you think your original response helped the person who asked to understand that?
6DD97E3E-F22E-40D7-8A5D-A07A10D3F397.gif

I love this firearm but started experiencing the same failure to feed/chamber that so many others are dealing with. I had a few theories but decided to take it to a well known expert gunsmith that specializes in 1911's. It took him about 30 seconds to point out what he believes is the problem. I'll try to explain this the best I can so bare with me. He disassembled the pistol, removing the barrel from the upper slide. He then took the barrel and sat it in the lower receiver. He immediately pointed out that the feed ramp on the barrel was not flush with the frame. The ramp was bumped out a noticeable amount from where the magwell meets the feed ramp. He explained that this was causing the pistol to have issues feeding/chamber. We both were kind of shocked...if this is the reason so many are having the same malfunctions he speculated that an entire run of the prodigy's could have been cut incorrectly causing the poor barrel to frame fitment. He made the call to one of his contacts at springfield on 10/19/22 and I'm waiting to hear back, probably in the next few days.
Definitely want to hear what they say about it.

Interesting but heavy and big. I carry the Ruger Officer model 9MM (SR1911) is 27.2 oz. and only 5" tall. It's a real gun for EDC. Can I take on the People's Liberation Army? No. But with 9 on board and a 10 rd reload I'm OK for a mugger or car jacker, even if I get a pair or a triplet to deal with. I've got two SA 5" 1911's in .45 with a round count of about 100K but they are just too much gun to haul around all day, every day, approaching 80 years old. I do prefer SA to Ruger but, well stuff happens and I ended up with the Ruger. At around 3K rounds the only failure I've had was because of high primers on my reloads. And to you guys asking for .45 or 10MM why do you think they can do a double stack with this round count? Duh, it's because it's a 9MM. You're more likely to see it in Super Carry than the big bullets.

Interesting but heavy and big. I carry the Ruger Officer model 9MM (SR1911) is 27.2 oz. and only 5" tall.

I don't think the intent with the Prodigy is to compete with an Officer's size single stack in the EDC category. Apples and oranges, as they say.

And to you guys asking for .45 or 10MM why do you think they can do a double stack with this round count?

Uh...no, I doubt anyone thinks actually that. Most people would assume that if we ever see a .45 or 10mm version of the Prodigy, the round count would be a bit reduced, just like it is on virtually any other mag-fed pistol that comes in those three calibers. 9mm versions always hold a few more rounds than their bigger bore brethren.

But even if a Prodigy came out that held say, 14 rounds of .45 or 10mm in a standard mag, with an extended mag that held 17 +/-,. that would still be fine with me.

I don't think the intent with the Prodigy is to compete with an Officer's size single stack in the EDC category. Apples and oranges, as they say.

Uh...no, I doubt anyone thinks actually that. Most people would assume that if we ever see a .45 or 10mm version of the Prodigy, the round count would be a bit reduced, just like it is on virtually any other mag-fed pistol that comes in those three calibers. 9mm versions always hold a few more rounds than their bigger bore brethren.

But even if a Prodigy came out that held say, 14 rounds of .45 or 10mm in a standard mag, with an extended mag that held 17 +/-,. that would still be fine with me.

In doublestack models, 14 rounds of .45 and 16 rounds of .40/10mm is pretty much standard in a flush mag.

I think the STI 10mm that a buddy had was 15 or 16rd mags…

If .45 or 10mm ammo were as cheap as 9mm then i'd probably be shooting .45 all the time (there's something about that huge hunk of lead). Since that is not the case, one of the main considerations for me, at least, when looking at picking up a new gun is how much it will cost to feed it. SA is reaching a wider audience offering this in 9mm. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out in .45 or 10mm within a year, if the demand is there.
This is sort of a moot point for me though since $1500 is too rich for my blood. Still a nice looking pistol.
I remember buying some 45ACP in WalMart for $27 a box and next to it was the same white box Winchester for 12.99 a box. Started buying 9mm pistols after that.

I remember buying some 45ACP in WalMart for $27 a box and next to it was the same white box Winchester for 12.99 a box. Started buying 9mm pistols after that.
$12.99 a box works out to 26 cents per round.

You can get 9mm now (brass case, reman) for 21 - 22 cents per round. Under $11 a box!

I just wish 38 Super and 45 would come back down like 9mm has.

That said, I just ordered some 45 (230gr FMJ, brass reman) for $18 a box. Not terrible, compared to the 9mm. Sadly, 38 Super is still about $25 a box.

$12.99 a box works out to 26 cents per round.

You can get 9mm now (brass case, reman) for 21 - 22 cents per round. Under $11 a box!

I just wish 38 Super and 45 would come back down like 9mm has.

That said, I just ordered some 45 (230gr FMJ, brass reman) for $18 a box. Not terrible, compared to the 9mm. Sadly, 38 Super is still about $25 a box.
Yeah, brass reman might be $11 a box, but factory ammo is still nearly $20 a box. You can find it online for $15.00 a box but by the time you pay shipping and tax you’re close to $20 a box.

Yesterday I was going to order a 300 round box of .22lr for $19.99 for what I thought was a decent price until I put it in the cart and the shipping was 14.99. No thanks.

Yeah, brass reman might be $11 a box, but factory ammo is still nearly $20 a box. You can find it online for $15.00 a box but by the time you pay shipping and tax you’re close to $20 a box.

Yesterday I was going to order a 300 round box of .22lr for $19.99 for what I thought was a decent price until I put it in the cart and the shipping was 14.99. No thanks.
If you’re looking for .22lr check out pametto state armory. $40 for 500 rds of cci standard velocity. If you order 1000 rds shipping is free.

Thanks. That’s a great price. I’m actually extremely well stocked, but when I see 300rds for $20 I can’t help but jump into action!
Midway was also running a deal with free shipping on orders over $49. I picked up aguila for $.06/rd.
I was stocked up too but have been shooting a lot of .22 lately.

I'm seeing PMC 115gr FMJ for $11/box also. That is if you buy 6 boxes. Dunno what shipping adds.

I haven't paid more than $16/box in a loooong time now.

One or 2 places selling at $280/case delivered. You get what you pay for though. The case of Zinc Point 9mm I am 1/3 though requires 2 primer strikes 1/30 rounds, however. The case arrived with loose-packed boxes of 100 rounds each. Not a fan of loose-packed...Might not buy it again...Caused the first "malfunctions" in both my Canik and my Sig, until I put 2 and 2 together and remembered the ammo.

Back