testtest

First Look: Springfield 1911 DS Prodigy 9mm

right??? Looks great our 10mm options seems to be very limited. I'd purchase one today if I could get in 10mm

Ummm... just FYI. These have been around for a while.

I have the 9mm version. Same MSRP. Street price on mine was $790. Only 100 (200?) rounds or so through it so far, but it has been perfect. Very slick action. Very nice trigger other than being 5# (and which I have now adjusted myself down to 3# 4oz). Extra mags and Taylor Freelance base pads were readily available at Advanced Tactical.

Last edited:
Ummm... just FYI. These have been around for a while.

I have a good angel on 1 shoulder and a bad 1 on the other. 1 says buy it and the other says don't! Actually both are bad as 1911's are not wrist friendly to me. Now you know about the angels.

I have a good angel on 1 shoulder and a bad 1 on the other. 1 says buy it and the other says don't! Actually both are bad as 1911's are not wrist friendly to me. Now you know about the angels.

Steel frame with a full length rail and a 5" barrel. 43 ounce weight, empty. Probably not going to find a 10mm that is much easier on your wrist...

In keeping with the Prodigy spirit…:)
Just put an EGW ignition kit in mine. New mainspring (17#), sear, disconnector, hammer and sear spring, after a few adjustments, a nice, clean, crisp 2.5LB. Safety checked the manual safety, grip safety, disconnector…and a few fast racks with the trigger pulled, don’t think hammer follow will be an issue. Range time this weekend…looking forward to some more trigger time.

When you measured your trigger pull did you pull the trigger quickly or did you do it slowly. 2.5 lb trigger pull seems be a point of contention in these parts.

When you measured your trigger pull did you pull the trigger quickly or did you do it slowly. 2.5 lb trigger pull seems be a point of contention in these parts.
Good question. Slow and deliberate, the same way I pull the trigger when focusing on target. It’s the same slow and deliberate way I picked a 5lb weight off the counter to make sure the gauge was accurate. If I pull fast, it will shave a little off the weight, I see no value there. On the prodigy I put the gauge finger lined up with the middle hole on the trigger and take 3-5 readings. I normally rack and dry fire a dozen times so the spring settles…then test.

If there’s a better way, I’m all for it :)

Good question. Slow and deliberate, the same way I pull the trigger when focusing on target. It’s the same slow and deliberate way I picked a 5lb weight off the counter to make sure the gauge was accurate. If I pull fast, it will shave a little off the weight, I see no value there. On the prodigy I put the gauge finger lined up with the middle hole on the trigger and take 3-5 readings. I normally rack and dry fire a dozen times so the spring settles…then test.

If there’s a better way, I’m all for it :)
I don’t. That’s the way I do it. My trigger registered 2.5 lbs as well. That was not good enough for one of the denizens of the forum who quite publicly decided to call BS because he couldn’t get his Prodigy that low.

Here is my problem I have been playing around with the idea of buying a Prodigy but I was disappointed in the slide release , it it too far up the frame, is it just me or do you have to have 2 hands on the gun to release the slide.

@ Hamman...I don't know if it's just that everyone is watching movies too much and just wants to be cool and flip the slide release to let the slide go forward and load the next round or what.
The proper way to load a round is to grab the slide, pull it back, and release it or slingshot it. Most manufacturers recommend this method. It doesn't look as cool but it's the right way to do it.
The position of the slide release on the Prodigy is in the same location as it is on any 1911 or 2011 pistol regardless who makes it.
I suggest you release the slide the time tested manufacturer recommended way, and slingshot it. If you can make it work and use your grip hand's thumb fine, or you can use your other hand and flip the release when you resume your two handed grip.
If you choose your pistol by the position of the slide release you'll find that they're all in basically the same location.
Release the slide by slingshotting it and your problem will be solved.

Also, I don't have a Prodigy.
You should get one. We could get together and there would be 4 Prodigies in the room.
1677814104121.gif

You should get one. We could get together and there would be 4 Prodigies in the room.
View attachment 37257
If I had Porsche money I’d already have one. :cool:
I keep getting distracted by shiny things. I was within a couple hundred bucks of getting the shotgun I’ve been creaming over for a few years now and got distracted by a John Wick gun and a giant pile of ammo. Got about quarter of the way there again and got distracted by an AR I wanted to put together. For my next trick I’ll get 3/4 of the way there and buy a Colt Anaconda ( which I need another large revolver like I need a hole in my head, but it’ll probably end up in a safe around here). About the time I get around to another 1911 I’ll keel over from smoking and my kid will sell all this :poop: for a third of what I paid for it. 🤣🙃

If I had Porsche money I’d already have one. :cool:
I keep getting distracted by shiny things. I was within a couple hundred bucks of getting the shotgun I’ve been creaming over for a few years now and got distracted by a John Wick gun and a giant pile of ammo. Got about quarter of the way there again and got distracted by an AR I wanted to put together. For my next trick I’ll get 3/4 of the way there and buy a Colt Anaconda ( which I need another large revolver like I need a hole in my head, but it’ll probably end up in a safe around here). About the time I get around to another 1911 I’ll keel over from smoking and my kid will sell all this :poop: for a third of what I paid for it. 🤣🙃
It’s good to have goals!

I wanna shoot that Anaconda.

I don’t. That’s the way I do it. My trigger registered 2.5 lbs as well. That was not good enough for one of the denizens of the forum who quite publicly decided to call BS because he couldn’t get his Prodigy that low.

While I don’t want to regurgitate other pistols in this thread again… I know my gauge and trigger weight is as spot on as it can be without a very expensive gauge and a jig and some more white coat, scientific evidence…:)
My Legion X5, with Sig Armor’s comp kit and light springs as well as an X5 skeletonized trigger, should be in the 2.5 to 2.75 lb range. It hits the scale 2.5 to 2.6 every time. Expected outcome, expected results.
My Canik Rival S, box stock, 3.5lb expected and reported on various forums. With the Sprinco kit, 1lb decrease expected. Expected outcome, expected results.
I’m sure…if I tweaked the sear spring a little more for my Prodigy, I could get closer to 2lbs. At sub 3 lbs, you really have to have pretty decent trigger discipline, and I’m not gonna lie, there are times at the range I get a little lazy…and that second round goes off. I don’t feel I need any less weight.

In archery, a good clean shot is one that gives you a little surprise. It will yield the best results. I treat pistol shooting the same way. Yes, I know training training and more training. I probably shoot 500 rounds a week during the cold.
Lighter weight makes it easier for me to break a clean shot…but there is a thin line for me that I don’t like to cross, that line is a shot going off without making a conscious effort. I’m pretty much there.

I’m a nobody, average range/target guy that enjoys well running equipment tuned how I like it. Competitions one day most likely…but for now, just enjoying shooting what I have and how I like to shoot them.

Once it warms up… my round count goes down…but two wheel miles go up :)

While I don’t want to regurgitate other pistols in this thread again… I know my gauge and trigger weight is as spot on as it can be without a very expensive gauge and a jig and some more white coat, scientific evidence…:)
My Legion X5, with Sig Armor’s comp kit and light springs as well as an X5 skeletonized trigger, should be in the 2.5 to 2.75 lb range. It hits the scale 2.5 to 2.6 every time. Expected outcome, expected results.
My Canik Rival S, box stock, 3.5lb expected and reported on various forums. With the Sprinco kit, 1lb decrease expected. Expected outcome, expected results.
I’m sure…if I tweaked the sear spring a little more for my Prodigy, I could get closer to 2lbs. At sub 3 lbs, you really have to have pretty decent trigger discipline, and I’m not gonna lie, there are times at the range I get a little lazy…and that second round goes off. I don’t feel I need any less weight.

In archery, a good clean shot is one that gives you a little surprise. It will yield the best results. I treat pistol shooting the same way. Yes, I know training training and more training. I probably shoot 500 rounds a week during the cold.
Lighter weight makes it easier for me to break a clean shot…but there is a thin line for me that I don’t like to cross, that line is a shot going off without making a conscious effort. I’m pretty much there.

I’m a nobody, average range/target guy that enjoys well running equipment tuned how I like it. Competitions one day most likely…but for now, just enjoying shooting what I have and how I like to shoot them.

Once it warms up… my round count goes down…but two wheel miles go up :)
I know we all sometimes get a bit obsessed with trigger weight, I know I have. IMO your trigger weight on your Legion X5 at about 2.5 -2.75 lb range is just about perfect for most uses. Trigger weight really depends on a couple of factors like how the gun will be used and amount of training the individual is willing to go through.
We all like to brag about how low our trigger pull weight is, but having a trigger too sensitive can be a potentially dangerous thing. If the gun is to be used strictly on the range or in competition then a lighter trigger can be a big plus, but on a self defense or carry gun for use when tensions are through the roof a too light trigger can be potentially dangerous.
I know a couple of time when going to the range with my CZ TS Orange and it's 1.5 lb factory trigger, if I haven't shot it in a while, the first shot can often come at a complete surprise. If the trigger weight is so low that it's hard to discern when the take up ends and the wall begins then I think the rate is too low. We need a light take up but we also need a wall that is easily felt so that we don't send off a round when we aren't expecting it.
I just purchased a Sig P226 X-5 and it's trigger weight is a little less than 3 lb, smooth and very predictable. It may get lighter with usage, but for right now to me it's just about perfect for a gun that I don't use in competition but as a quality range toy.
That's one reason why I don't think I'm going to mess with the trigger on my Prodigy. Sure at about 4 lb it's a bit heavy, but it has a smooth take up and an easily felt wall. If it were to be used in self defense when adrenaline was flowing it would be much more safe than my 1.5 lb CZ. Really the stock Prodigy trigger is pretty good. It has a short smooth take up, and a definite wall. Once you reach the wall going past it is a clean, sharp break. It's really a pretty good trigger for self defense, although I wouldn't mind it if it were a bit lower. Sometimes it's not the actual trigger weight, it's more the smoothness and the easily discernible feel when you reach the wall. I can live with a heavier trigger if it has a good feel.
Trigger weight is all a subjective thing, but IMO 2.5 to 3 lb is just about perfect for most uses. Competition guns can go lower, with self defense guns a bit higher. IMO opinion you're on the right track.

Amen RLB.
As mentioned (this is not directed towards you, just overall forum readers) I have said my X5, Prodigy and Canik are Target/Range guns. I am 1000% with you, I do not feel confident in any of them, due to trigger weight, for EDC.

I have a bone stock P320X Carry for that duty and a backup M&P compact for carry. Also, bone stock.

My next move… possibly.. I really can’t get my mind off that damn Stacatto P.
That goes one of two ways. I pick up the P, use it bone stock as is for carry…. OR… I get an Optic Ready and move that to the range rotation and take the trigger on the prodigy back to a 4-5lb range with a little more “wall” to it…

Or, option C. I just stay where I’m at, buy more bullets, practice even more…and have fun… :)

But again, RLB…we’re on the same page absolute. As I’ve said, I’ve accidentally touched off a second round at the range… sure as hell wouldn’t want the stress/duress of a self defense situation to make that worse.

Amen RLB.
As mentioned (this is not directed towards you, just overall forum readers) I have said my X5, Prodigy and Canik are Target/Range guns. I am 1000% with you, I do not feel confident in any of them, due to trigger weight, for EDC.

I have a bone stock P320X Carry for that duty and a backup M&P compact for carry. Also, bone stock.

My next move… possibly.. I really can’t get my mind off that damn Stacatto P.
That goes one of two ways. I pick up the P, use it bone stock as is for carry…. OR… I get an Optic Ready and move that to the range rotation and take the trigger on the prodigy back to a 4-5lb range with a little more “wall” to it…

Or, option C. I just stay where I’m at, buy more bullets, practice even more…and have fun… :)

But again, RLB…we’re on the same page absolute. As I’ve said, I’ve accidentally touched off a second round at the range… sure as hell wouldn’t want the stress/duress of a self defense situation to make that worse.
It's sure nice to have options. There so darn many nice guns out there today it's hard to decide on just one, or a few.
I have to admit even after all of the teething pains and complaints about The Prodigy that's one of the firearms that I'm most impressed with. I can't wait to see what other versions or models of The Prodigy that Springfield Armory comes out with.
. I really can’t get my mind off that damn Stacatto P
Since this is a discussion on The Prodigy I don't want to get too far from it, but have you looked at Bul armory offerings? Damn, they've got some nice looking offerings at a price quite a bit under that of the Staccato. I may have to squeeze one of their pistols in while I'm waiting to make up my mind on the Staccato. I'm thinking about the SAS II 2 Pro version with the V8 ported barrel. It is sharp!

It's sure nice to have options. There so darn many nice guns out there today it's hard to decide on just one, or a few.
I have to admit even after all of the teething pains and complaints about The Prodigy that's one of the firearms that I'm most impressed with. I can't wait to see what other versions or models of The Prodigy that Springfield Armory comes out
Yeah, me too. Prodigy is my first and only 1911 style pistol. I really enjoy it. My wife now also considers it “hers”…lol, I can’t win. I got into it because I didn’t initially want to get into Stacatto priced as my first 1911/2011 style.
Now… I’m hooked…lol. I thought 1911 work was this magical, mystical mechanics beyond normal gear head understanding.
it’s not…they’re quite simple. I’m not claiming to be a high end smith… just more educated, less intimidated and fascinated by the platform.. which leads me to….
Since this is a discussion on The Prodigy I don't want to get too far from it, but have you looked at Bul armory offerings? Damn, they've got some nice looking offerings at a price quite a bit under that of the Staccato. I may have to squeeze one of their pistols in while I'm waiting to make up my mind on the Staccato. I'm thinking about the SAS II 2 Pro version with the V8 ported barrel. It is sharp!
I have.
And I like the Bul. For me…for now… they simply aren’t as available as the Stacatto.
Their pricing that I’ve seen, in between Prodigy and Stacatto… and I’m strictly talking about the SAS TAC vs. P pistols.
I’m really not gonna get into the 3, 4, 5K and up price range….

I know the Bul are a great pistol as well. I’ve yet to hear someone say “I wish I would’ve never bought this Stacatto”.
I’m sure it’s out there, but…
That Bul SAS II Tac 4.25 is one sexy looking pistol. And I’m sure I could eventually find one…but I’d like to put my paws on it first. I can do that with a Stacatto.
It looks like Apples to Apples…yeah, about a 500ish, give or take, on a Bul w/ Optic cut vs. P w/ optic cut.
Horrible….the choices we have to make.. LOL.

Yeah, me too. Prodigy is my first and only 1911 style pistol. I really enjoy it. My wife now also considers it “hers”…lol, I can’t win. I got into it because I didn’t initially want to get into Stacatto priced as my first 1911/2011 style.
Now… I’m hooked…lol. I thought 1911 work was this magical, mystical mechanics beyond normal gear head understanding.
it’s not…they’re quite simple. I’m not claiming to be a high end smith… just more educated, less intimidated and fascinated by the platform.. which leads me to….

I have.
And I like the Bul. For me…for now… they simply aren’t as available as the Stacatto.
Their pricing that I’ve seen, in between Prodigy and Stacatto… and I’m strictly talking about the SAS TAC vs. P pistols.
I’m really not gonna get into the 3, 4, 5K and up price range….

I know the Bul are a great pistol as well. I’ve yet to hear someone say “I wish I would’ve never bought this Stacatto”.
I’m sure it’s out there, but…
That Bul SAS II Tac 4.25 is one sexy looking pistol. And I’m sure I could eventually find one…but I’d like to put my paws on it first. I can do that with a Stacatto.
It looks like Apples to Apples…yeah, about a 500ish, give or take, on a Bul w/ Optic cut vs. P w/ optic cut.
Horrible….the choices we have to make.. LOL.
In a way it sounds as if you have won. You have an intelligent wife with good tastes in firearms and husbands, and one that considers the Prodigy as "hers". That's great news.
Now since you no longer have a Prodigy, that should open things up for you to get the Staccato P that you've been wanting.
See, it all depends on how you look at things.

Back