testtest

First Look: Springfield Armory’s 5.56mm Hellion Bullpup

Never handled or really looked at any bullpup before. Took me a minute just to find the charging handle lol! All in all it looks like a very interesting defensive weapon. I could see me owning one.

The "used" one on Gunbroker.com is priced ridiculously, starting bid is $4,000. I would think someone had an opportunity to shoot the heck out of it to review it and is now trying to cash in before they are able to be found in the stores. If I was SA I would think twice about sending this person another firearm for review in the future. In time the price will be a little more reasonable.

For that price I don't think you are going to get the best bang for the buck, but any way ... I'm sure I'll get some flack for this, but as a CQB rifle, wouldn't it be better suited to be chambered in 300 BO?

Make one in 300 BO for $1750, I'll buy one and put my 762SDN6 on the end.
Not really. A 16” barrel gives you pretty much full ballistic advantage of the 5.56 round—where 16” doesn’t gain you much in a .300 (a round optimized to be fired out of a 8.5” barrel).

Not really. A 16” barrel gives you pretty much full ballistic advantage of the 5.56 round—where 16” doesn’t gain you much in a .300 (a round optimized to be fired out of a 8.5” barrel).
A shorter than 16in barrel in the Hellion configuration would classify it as an NFA item and you will need a tax stamp approval for the SBR.

Also with a 16in barrel on a .300blk you will get much better ballistics than you would with a shorter barrel. The .300blk is optimized for use in a shorter configuration but this optimization doesn't equate to full ballistic potential of the round with an average FPS loss of around 35fps per inch shorter the barrel.

The optimized part of .300blk in a 9in barrel is mostly for subsonic loads as the velocity gain with a longer barrel may bring the round above subsonic speed especially when equipped with a suppressor from the added back pressure.

Last edited:
Back