testtest

First Look: Springfield Armory’s 5.56mm Hellion Bullpup

Really, if you want a .300 interchangeable barrel in a bull pup…

Get an AUG. I cant think of a single faster-changing barrel system out there...as in, under 10 seconds.
I guess something to think about, but I wasn't asking for interchangeability of barrels, I would just like to see SA offer this gun in blackout because I'm not interested in another 556 gun. I'm sorry but 556 in a CQB gun doesn't make sense to me, you'd want something bigger and slower like either blackout or a pistol caliber like .38 - .45 ... but if the Hellion is supposed to compete with a Saint for medium range I guess that is a different story.

I guess something to think about, but I wasn't asking for interchangeability of barrels, I would just like to see SA offer this gun in blackout because I'm not interested in another 556 gun. I'm sorry but 556 in a CQB gun doesn't make sense to me, you'd want something bigger and slower like either blackout or a pistol caliber like .38 - .45 ... but if the Hellion is supposed to compete with a Saint for medium range I guess that is a different story.
AUG, Tavor and VHS/Hellion are made as battle rifles with medium range a necessity for its troops. CQB is a benefit due to the length

Bullpup rifles don't interest me all that much so I would never buy one just to have it, especially at that price. And I'm also not to enamored with 5.56 for home defense and when you consider the velocity lost to the small diameter and light weight bullet from a short barrel it seems to me to be to hobbled platform.

But if they would develop a rifle like this in an updated 35 Remington type round that shot a big 180 grain bullet out at decent velocity from such a short barrel and if I read good reviews of it I would lay down that much cash to have one, it would seem like the ideal house defense gun to me.

AUG, Tavor and VHS/Hellion are made as battle rifles with medium range a necessity for its troops. CQB is a benefit due to the length
It's even more than this--the outcome of a bullpup design, in total, is actually an excellent general-purpose rifle, where the 5.56mm NATO caliber makes plenty of sense. User-friendly ballistics out to 300 yards, fragmentation in terminal performance out to the same range from the hypersonic pill through the 16-20" barrel, what's not to love? Unless you're in the business of trying to carve chunks out of cinder blocks I guess

Bullpup rifles don't interest me all that much so I would never buy one just to have it, especially at that price. And I'm also not to enamored with 5.56 for home defense and when you consider the velocity lost to the small diameter and light weight bullet from a short barrel it seems to me to be to hobbled platform.

But if they would develop a rifle like this in an updated 35 Remington type round that shot a big 180 grain bullet out at decent velocity from such a short barrel and if I read good reviews of it I would lay down that much cash to have one, it would seem like the ideal house defense gun to me.
Not a short barrel

You aren’t losing any more velocity in a 16” bullpup than you are in an AR carbine (16”).

It's even more than this--the outcome of a bullpup design, in total, is actually an excellent general-purpose rifle, where the 5.56mm NATO caliber makes plenty of sense. User-friendly ballistics out to 300 yards, fragmentation in terminal performance out to the same range from the hypersonic pill through the 16-20" barrel, what's not to love? Unless you're in the business of trying to carve chunks out of cinder blocks I guess

Not a short barrel
In my mind a 16 inch barrel for a rifle caliber is short.

You aren’t losing any more velocity in a 16” bullpup than you are in an AR carbine (16”).
And I have no interest in an AR within 5.56 in with a 16 inch barrel. The only thing in my mind the 5.56 has going for it is velocity and to much is sacrificed in that caliber with a 16 inch barrel.

I just got a Sig Sauer 716 in 7.62 with a 16 inch barrel that doubles as a home defense gun and while I know I lose some velocity with the shorter tube it isn't as bad as with the 5.56.

The only thing I have any interest in that caliber is to pop coyotes and I could get by with a bolt action with a 22 inch barrel or so in that caliber and keep thinking to try to find a ruger or savage to do so.

What really is short then?
2B911D5A-0C5F-4009-A3AE-921932FB26EF.jpeg

10.5” SBR
16” Rifle
(NFA stamped & both suppressors)

Comparison

So, is this a type of rifle the US troops should start carrying to replace the M4 carbine considering all the time spent knocking on doors in Iraq and Afghanistan, for urban warfare? If not, why not? And so since the compact length is an added benefit it must be a superior weapon considering the current aging inventory.

So, is this a type of rifle the US troops should start carrying to replace the M4 carbine considering all the time spent knocking on doors in Iraq and Afghanistan, for urban warfare? If not, why not? And so since the compact length is an added benefit it must be a superior weapon considering the current aging inventory.
They all have pro’s and cons

Cons of a bullpup are flexibility with attachments, stocks, grips, etc..

AR15/M4 platforms are ultimate tinker toys.
Bullpups are not

The US government isn't concerned about superior rifle systems!

Well, considering one of the designs currently in the running to replace the M4/M16 is a bullpup…

Back